Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

So I installed 227h on UGOLD

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: So I installed 227h on UGOLD

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 14:14

and GOD I did forget how painful was setting up Unreal/UGold to make them perfectly playable.
But let's go in order with my problems. I'm using the normal OpenGL and I guess 227 doesn't come with uncapped drawdistance right?

• Textures (I installed the S3TC ones but they have nothing to do with this) that are found far away from me turn into low quality mode. This is very noticeable with terrain/floor ones.
    Here's a big PNG pic for an example.

Where I am pointing my gun, check.
  • The FOV is forced at a value higher than 90. Check the pic above, again.
  • Dynamic lights (especially flickering ones) are like speed-up and are extremely annoying. This is also in UT and I wasn't able to fix the thing there too.
  • What's the bob value that is equal to the maxed-out one in UT? Looks like UGOLD/227 still has the old Unreal bob that feels like you are sliding'n jumping instead of running.
  • In the menu, if I press one of the window buttons a grey and semi-visible crosshair appears next to the mouse icon. Is this normal?

That's it for now. I turned off the decoration shadows and real time shadows (just blobs) because ewww horrid things. The lighting on meshes on the other hand looks much better now.
ImageImage

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: So I installed 227h on UGOLD

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 14:59

UBerserker wrote:Textures (I installed the S3TC ones but they have nothing to do with this) that are found far away from me turn into low quality mode. This is very noticeable with terrain/floor ones.

The remedy is called anisotropic filtering (AF). You can configure it in the OpenGL driver by changing the "MaxAnisotropy" value to something like 4, 8 or 16.

UBerserker wrote:The FOV is forced at a value higher than 90. Check the pic above, again.

In 227, the FOV is configured from the options menu. You should be able to change it there.

UBerserker wrote:Dynamic lights (especially flickering ones) are like speed-up and are extremely annoying. This is also in UT and I wasn't able to fix the thing there too.

Try limiting your framerate to 60 in the driver options.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 16:35

Sana's got you covered for the major issues it seems :)

The viewbob might be calculated differently between unreal/UT, just mess with the value til it isn't annoying or funny.

In the menu, if I press one of the window buttons a grey and semi-visible crosshair appears next to the mouse icon. Is this normal?

Sounds like you either have directinput on{causes funky things and is being replaced in 227i}, or you're playing in windowed mode? If you're playing in windowed mode, I believe that's normal. I remember seeing it for a long time in old versions.

I guess 227 doesn't come with uncapped drawdistance right?

It's supposed to. I just double checked h in the only spot I know where it would come into effect in a stock map and it's fine.

edit: The d3d8/9/OGL drivers are essentially the same as UTGLR with a few minor changes, you can copy your settings from UT and they'll work there

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011, 20:50

Not windowed, is probably directinput on (where to turn it off?). Anyway I'm not sure if even low-res real time shadows can cause lag (or the S3TC ExtremeEnd textures??), but I'm getting various slowdowns.
Movements are still weird because it feels like you're sliding a little, before stopping completely.

How do you use oldweapon sounds? And where's the mod which brings back the vanilla DP bolt particle effects?
ImageImage

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011, 02:55

UseDirectInput is under this entry in Unreal.ini.
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]

If it's false, I don't really know what's causing the crosshair thing. Nobody else has reported this to my knowledge. Low-res realtime shadows should not cause slowdown, and it's calculated with a method that doesn't matter what texture it's being displayed on.

Are you overclocking at all? The sliding thing sounds like a timing issue. I vaguely recall hearing about it. Use timedemo 1 to see what your FPS is, it it's an abnormal number >120 or really low/negative there might be an issue {Old versions are also effected by these issues, but in a slightly different manner}

open vortex2?mutator=Oldweapons.OldMutator
open duskfalls?mutator=Oldweapons.OldMutator

Theres some trick to using botmatch to start a SP game with mutators too, but I really don't understand the obsession with Oldweapons anyway. To each his own I guess.

Smirftsch
OldUnreal Staff OldUnreal Staff

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011, 08:04

indeed it looks like some default values should be adjusted yet for those who are not messing daily with this crap... ;)

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011, 11:19

I think the movement problem is just about the movement system itself and not FPS-related. It's not a big deal, but it feels you're not having full control of the characters.
Is the Unreal movement system different from the UT one? I believe Epic may have tweaked it like the bob.

As for the slowdowns, I believe that certain maps just come with poor performance. I'm playing the first level of Forgotten and I'm having lots of lag while facing the entire snow field; I believe it's a normal thing.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011, 11:35

If you've already limited the framerate (which, as others have mentioned, causes all kinds of weird stuff if it isn't limited) it might be Vsync that's making the controls feel laggy; it's related to the "swapinterval" setting in the advanced properties, but I'm not sure what the specific settings are (if it's not at 0 then setting it to that would probably be worth trying though).
Formerly Mman

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011, 17:26

I actually just checked UT vs unreal, and it seems the interval from pressing movement keys and stopping is slightly different. It looks far more abrupt in UT, this was probably intentional since UT is an arena shooter

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011, 23:45

I just retried the editor, the old one, and is so obnoxious, layout is awful, can't mess with view ports, why why why did they not make any new upgrade for UT is beyond me.
Put on the unrealedfix, win7 64 bit, even thought the install messes up it still put the old VB files in system32 and it runs, but I will not be using it.

Then needing different files for all the rendering, so many things wrong with making it for Unreal.

oh well :shake: :/ :tdown: :? :shock: :o :( :( :(
Just ban everyone

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011, 23:59

What are you talking about... 227h editor has all the functions the UT editor has and then some

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011, 01:33

Frieza wrote:What are you talking about... 227h editor has all the functions the UT editor has and then some

I assume it looks and operates just like the original Unreal editor ? window layout, etc etc.

I only have rtnp or i mean Ugold installed atm, uses VB right ?

I would need to install Unreal to use 227 I presume, but if UED is the same as stock Unreal then I won't mess around with it, I might just to see.
Just ban everyone

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011, 04:06

227 has UED2, not UED1.

redeye
Banned Banned

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011, 04:44

[]KAOS[]Casey wrote:227 has UED2, not UED1.

OH YA !!! ? :o

I now see servers with the 227, as well, I been holding off till this new thing was settled in.
But of course I will be back complaining LoL

(and i know it was a lot of work from fans)
Just ban everyone

User avatar gp
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011, 17:03

Glad you decided to try it, UB. You in particular might be interested in the new harder difficulty levels 227 adds.