Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Return the Skaarj (sp-returntheskaarj.zip) -- can't find

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Delacroix
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: Return the Skaarj (sp-returntheskaarj.zip) -- can't find

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011, 13:25

I *did* rehash the pack to simplify the installation process, I'll upload the oldskool compatible version soon. A word of warning: the Extra (secret) level is reachable from Vortex2 (base) level and it takes you back to the Unreal (city) level, so avoid the secret at all costs. :D
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011, 09:53

Oh, I've had this sitting on a HD for ages. I would have uploaded it too, had someone else not already done it. I actually pretty much have every SP map and pack known to man. Hehe.

This pack certainly did look like complete rubbish.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

NaPaliShore
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012, 19:45

Delacroix wrote:I *did* rehash the pack to simplify the installation process, I'll upload the oldskool compatible version soon. A word of warning: the Extra (secret) level is reachable from Vortex2 (base) level and it takes you back to the Unreal (city) level, so avoid the secret at all costs. :D

HI folks,

I downloaded the original pack from http://www.klankaos.com/sp-returntheskaarj.zip
and noticed that it is also mirrored at http://www.unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/othermaps/sp-returntheskaarj.zip

And I really did want to play through the pack but was scared off by the reports that the installation process is a mess and that it's difficult to figure out which order to play the maps in.

So I would definitely love it if Delacroix could post a link to the aforementioned "oldskool compatible version" of the map pack - or barring that, if someone could post some quick instructions explaining which order the maps should be played in (using "switchcooplevel")?

Also, some of the original postings about the pack on various forums seem to indicate that there would be 20 singleplayer maps, but the 55mb zip files from KlanKaos only contains 11 maps.

I ran the read me file ("Lies mich!!!!!!.txt") through Google translate and it seems to say something like:

Just the unzip the zip file and then install the Mod!!

This demo has:
- 7 solo Maps
- 8 new music files
- 5 new .U files and and ini file
- 16 new textures

If you've ever created skins, weapons or inventory items
scripts and would like to make it, get in touch with
http://www.jedi-projekt.de.vu or ICQ: 115647430

I welcome your suggestions for improvement.

If you still find bugs or you have questions about my levels Pasteln or project
then contact:
-djblackevil @ gmx.de <- Black Evil (Mario)
-66FallenAngel @ gmx.de <- FallenAngel (Stephan)

Have fun playing.

So this makes me think the 55mb file might be just a demo, and that at some point a longer 20 map version might have once existed - or been planned but was never released?

Anyway, I try to play all the big Unreal SP map packs if I can (I'm currently working my way through Redeem Your Space, with the help of the RYS English translation mutator from http://bobsunrealcoop.wordpress.com/downloads/ - see the section under the heading "paci translartion stuffs"), and I'd love to play Return the Skaarj as well but am not quite ready to deal with the frustration of figuring out which map comes next by trial and error, and the end of each map. So any help with that, and any other installation tips for the pack, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

p.s.: more info on the RYS translation mutator can be found at http://bobsunrealcoop.wordpress.com/2011/09/04/redeem-your-space-english-mutator/.
(Note that because of a typo in the rys.u file, the mutator name is actually rys.rsyfix - and not rys.rysfix as you would expect...)

bob
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012, 18:20

oh i didnt think any body cared about that mutator , Glad someone was interested , I went ahead and fixed the typo in the file, and added a int file to use in mutator list But both names should still work so nobody will get confused, How far did you get tho the pack so far , mabye i can process a few more levels worth of messages since there is a renewed interest.. btw,You can link directly to the file if you want it's ok with me.

NaPaliShore

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012, 05:18

bob wrote:oh i didnt think any body cared about that mutator , Glad someone was interested , I went ahead and fixed the typo in the file, and added a int file to use in mutator list But both names should still work so nobody will get confused, How far did you get tho the pack so far , mabye i can process a few more levels worth of messages since there is a renewed interest.. btw,You can link directly to the file if you want it's ok with me.

Thanks, Bob! My buddy and I actually finished the Redeem Your Space map pack - boy did that take a long time (longer than any other pack I've played, if I remember correctly)... It's a pretty uneven experience, with a lot of repetitive rooms/enemies, but I could tell there was some story stuff going on that would have made it perhaps more interesting at points (and sometimes we would get stuck on levels, unable to locate hidden triggers/switches/destructible wall sections - which the authors did not always make very visibly evident - and we wondered if there were clues hidden in the translator messages)...

So if we play through the pack again, then we'll definitely use your updated mutator files, and if you do end up translating some additional levels then that might give us even more incentive to give the pack another whirl some time! I don't know how easy/difficult that would be, but it might be worth focusing on machine-translating just those messages that give clues about what to do next in some of the levels with the most backtracking or easy-to-miss objectives? Or if it's hard to identify which specific translator messages are the most crucial, within one of those levels, then instead maybe just focus on identifying which levels are the most confusing or easy to get stuck on, and translate the translator messages for those?

For anyone who is interested, the download link for Bob's latest mutator files is:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18734201/unreal/rys.zip

-- Oh, and just to avoid having this message be entirely off-topic for the thread in which it appears:
I am still very interested in getting help with either the installation process for Return the Skaarj or else at least knowing which order the maps are meant to be played in!

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012, 09:34

I never understood the title of this pack. Does it mean the Skaarj are returning somewhere? Does it mean someone has to return a Skaarj to its origin? Or is the title just bad English? I would vote for the latter. I'm sure the creators don't know English, but you'd think they would at least get the Title correct. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be, "Return of the Skaarj".
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

NaPaliShore

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2013, 10:17

NaPaliShore wrote:
Delacroix wrote:I *did* rehash the pack to simplify the installation process, I'll upload the oldskool compatible version soon. A word of warning: the Extra (secret) level is reachable from Vortex2 (base) level and it takes you back to the Unreal (city) level, so avoid the secret at all costs. :D

HI folks,

I downloaded the original pack from http://www.klankaos.com/sp-returntheskaarj.zip
and noticed that it is also mirrored at http://www.unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/othermaps/sp-returntheskaarj.zip

And I really did want to play through the pack but was scared off by the reports that the installation process is a mess and that it's difficult to figure out which order to play the maps in.

So I would definitely love it if Delacroix could post a link to the aforementioned "oldskool compatible version" of the map pack - or barring that, if someone could post some quick instructions explaining which order the maps should be played in (using "switchcooplevel")?

Also, some of the original postings about the pack on various forums seem to indicate that there would be 20 singleplayer maps, but the 55mb zip files from KlanKaos only contains 11 maps.

I ran the read me file ("Lies mich!!!!!!.txt") through Google translate and it seems to say something like:

Just the unzip the zip file and then install the Mod!!

This demo has:
- 7 solo Maps
- 8 new music files
- 5 new .U files and and ini file
- 16 new textures

If you've ever created skins, weapons or inventory items
scripts and would like to make it, get in touch with
http://www.jedi-projekt.de.vu or ICQ: 115647430

I welcome your suggestions for improvement.

If you still find bugs or you have questions about my levels Pasteln or project
then contact:
-djblackevil @ gmx.de <- Black Evil (Mario)
-66FallenAngel @ gmx.de <- FallenAngel (Stephan)

Have fun playing.

So this makes me think the 55mb file might be just a demo, and that at some point a longer 20 map version might have once existed - or been planned but was never released?

Anyway, I try to play all the big Unreal SP map packs if I can (I'm currently working my way through Redeem Your Space, with the help of the RYS English translation mutator from http://bobsunrealcoop.wordpress.com/downloads/ - see the section under the heading "paci translartion stuffs"), and I'd love to play Return the Skaarj as well but am not quite ready to deal with the frustration of figuring out which map comes next by trial and error, and the end of each map. So any help with that, and any other installation tips for the pack, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

p.s.: more info on the RYS translation mutator can be found at http://bobsunrealcoop.wordpress.com/2011/09/04/redeem-your-space-english-mutator/.
(Note that because of a typo in the rys.u file, the mutator name is actually rys.rsyfix - and not rys.rysfix as you would expect...)

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but Delacroix has been so active lately, revisiting and reviewing old maps and map packs, that I thought maybe there would be a chance he could relocate that fabled "oldskool compatible" version of Return the Skaarj, and upload it for us, somewhere? :)

Previous