UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

The longest-playing SP map...?

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: The longest-playing SP map...?

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 12:16

Since UBerserker's re-review of Deja Vu, I've been slowly revisiting the map pack (in between periods of speedmapping). Last night I played Waffnuffly's "Palace of Chizra", and it occurred to me that it's one of those maps that takes a very long time to play.

So what do we think is the longest-playing single Unreal / UT SP map? The candidates that spring to mind for me are:

The SunSpire
Bluff Eversmoking
Cellars at Dasa Pass
Palace of Chizra
Outpost Pheonix
Skaarj Tower
Skaarj Castle
The Fission Smelter
Temple of Eelhandra (from my vague memory of last time I played it)
Life is what you make of it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: The longest-playing SP map...?

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 12:32

Hellscrag wrote:The SunSpire
Bluff Eversmoking
Cellars at Dasa Pass
Palace of Chizra
Outpost Pheonix
Skaarj Tower
Skaarj Castle
The Fission Smelter
Temple of Eelhandra (from my vague memory of last time I played it)

Bluff and Dasa Cellars should be out. They aren't long. Same for the SunSpire and Eelhandra.
I don't remember Fission Smelter, but that's because I do not enjoy Hexephet's gameplay.

Outpost Pheonix has just a lot of fights. Tied with Palace of Chizra. But DV2 Map 15 takes more time than them.

The clear winners range from Chico's Shamu Quest to Drew's stuff. The right answer is Skaarj Tower if you decide to complete it 100%. 2nd place goes to Skaarj Castle, third place goes to Shamu Quest's final bugfest map.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 14:52

Skaarj Tower or castle is probably the winner.

I think something from Shamuquest could be a close runner up; the second map in particular could easily take someone an hour+ on their first go.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 15:01

The third map is longer than the second honestly, since it has various unbalanced battles and it is really confusing.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 17:07

UBerserker wrote:The third map is longer than the second honestly, since it has various unbalanced battles and it is really confusing.

I do recall that, when I played Shamu Quest, I desparately wanted the third map to end and it just refused to do so. Well remembered - I'd forgotten about that pack.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 17:37

Bluff and Sunspire was actually one of those maps where even though it's not very big, but it still takes a really long time to complete, ESPECIALLY playing it for the first time and not really having a clue as what to do or where to go :P
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 18:34

This doesn't count, but I spent ~3 hours fighting through Map 15 in EXU2 a while ago. Yes, yes I was dying a lot. :p

For normal maps I didn't really think my DV2 map was very long. After all, you pretty much can just blaze through it with the Flak Cannon alt fire. The Sunspire, when I first played it, must have taken over an hour, same with Skytown. I was both amazed with the map and spent a lot of time looking around, daunted by the challenges and died a lot, and confused about the unfamiliar layout and spend tons and TONS of time exploring (especially the Sunspire).

My vote probably goes to the Sunspire. Once you know the layout you can be done in 15 minutes or less, but for a first timer, it's an hour-long haul or more. Great map.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 18:38

Shivaxi wrote:Bluff and Sunspire was actually one of those maps where even though it's not very big, but it still takes a really long time to complete, ESPECIALLY playing it for the first time and not really having a clue as what to do or where to go :P

Can say yes for the SunSpire, but no Bluff (ridicolously easy and no maze-like thing). Unreal doesn't have maps worth mentioning for how much they are long.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 22:08

My instinct says Sunspire, cus that's the one that trapped me my first time through Unreal. I remember Skaark Tower being big and all, but it seemed long more for the long walking distances. Which was forced. When I think of huge maps that soaked up my playing time, I think of maps were I inched along because I was spooked or wrapped up in the environment. Skaarj Tower was just long. I spent a long time in Bluff my first run through Unreal, and I suspect many of you did as well. But nowhere near as long as my stay in Sunspire.

Hellscrag mentioned Outpost Phoenix...but as I look at some of my RD levels I can't help but feel OP is small and compact :lol:

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Jul 2009, 22:14

Mister_Prophet wrote:I spent a long time in Bluff my first run through Unreal, and I suspect many of you did as well.

Had a big break in Unreal during Bluff because it was starting to get boring. Anyway, I finished Bluff in more than 30 minutes the first time, just to put an end to it. The Maze of Chizra confused me much more.

I spent more time in SunSpire because of the goddamn crappy exit. But SunSpire then becomes short and it was already never very long, while Chico and Drew maps will be always long, no matter how many times you play them.
ImageImage

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 19:13

The Skaarj caves (from Skaarj Tower) for sure. Man that map was fun, and it took a really, really, really long time.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009, 21:33

LOL_PEANUTS wrote:The Skaarj caves (from Skaarj Tower) for sure. Man that map was fun, and it took a really, really, really long time.

Hmm, I was going with one of the Skaarj Tower maps as well but the caves add too much length to the map without decent orientation points (I don't like labyrinths at all, especially when they are caves and most certainly not when they are long). So I am reluctant to give that map any prize - but even without the caves that map is loooooong.

Sunspire was confusing at first (and fun exploring) but never struck me as a significanty longish map, nor did any other Unreal map (although there is a level inside a Mothership which was very long for me - probably The Darkening).

There is a map in ONP (were the mercaneries are your allies) which was long because I kept on circling and couldn't find the exit. Similarly the map were you have to guide an IFO through various closing doors was very long to me - 31 years with a driving license, never an accident but you wouldn't trust me with anything which should be airborne.

In terms of pure length sensu stricto I think UBerserker's list is probably
correct but when taking the extra value provided by that length into account my guess is that the Shamuquest map is a clear winner.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009, 05:05

Both of Drews' maps tops the list for me.
Just ban everyone

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009, 23:24

Skaarj Tower was awesome, but honestly i wished it would end after some point, particulary after the enormous amount of backtracking in the mountains and caves.

I loved the third shamuquest map, it honestly never bored me, but i figured out quite fast where the ending was and went along exploring the entire place instead. :)

So yeah Skaarj Tower tops it for me

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: The longest-playing SP map...?

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014, 20:36

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I know which map took me the longest and no one mentioned it yet:
UMS Solaris
Five and a half hours of game time, and I ain't kidding!
Mind you, I beat the level on Medium without resorting to any cheats or guides or whatever outside help. Worth mentioning because this map is hard (and not just huge). You really have to mentally map the spaceship, and pay attention to the translator messages, and on top of that it isn't light on combat! It's brilliant stuff.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Next