UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

[u1] Unreal Alpha and Beta version discussion

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

Leo(T.C.K.)
Banned Banned

Subject: Re: Upcoming Unreal Alpha and Beta versions release

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011, 01:40

OK I am revealing something here:

I have been chasing down someone for the betas, because of someone who I know had the CDs, but after a long wait it turned out they weren't there, but they exist and I know more about it. Those builds were originally leaked, they are Unreal Alpha Monster Preview, 96 complete beta with UnrealED (the build was about August 96 IIRC), 97 beta build dating to around July and some pre release 98 build (possibly the one I played back in 98) with some additional stuff, possibly the addon pack.

When I said they were originally leaked, they were included in certain "illegal" CD collection back then and was shared around, they had whole website about it, many salvaged and leaked rare stuff found its way there. Of course the site was taken down and the guy who ran it ended up in jail for few years. But it did have all that stuff I mentioned above. Now after so many years, one can wonder where those relics are. It was wrong to sell them without doubt, but those leaks must be around somewhere.

However there must be people who have that stuff still and it might be good idea to ask someone around. If you want exact detailed info, please contact me, I will share it with you if you want to help in searching, but it can be rather muddy job. And my last chance might have died out now, I really feel like shit about this. But I know for sure those were the real Unreal versions.

User avatar Gizzy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011, 22:53

Oh look, I can hexedit and force the game to load unused textures.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011, 15:54

nice! :tup: Any other textures... perhaps of dragon/gargoyle/woman?
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011, 22:50

Darkon wrote:nice! :tup: Any other textures... perhaps of .../woman?

woman textures??? hmmm? what's in your mind? err, hmm, after a short deliberation with my brain: YES, show us the woman textures!!!

User avatar Gizzy

Post Posted: 07 Apr 2011, 00:42

Darkon wrote:nice! :tup: Any other textures... perhaps of dragon/gargoyle/woman?

Unfortunately, no :(

There are references to the dragon, wizard (nali), woman and gargoyle (krall?) in UNENGINE.DLL in the form of .MAC files and some references to macros, but the console just returns "BUG: Macro not found for play blah blah w/e" if I try to use the commands. There seems to be a hell of a lot of editor-related junk in UNREAL.EXE, but no way to access it more than a single viewport with no way to create brushes/load maps.

Digging around more, I've come to the conclusion that the 95Alpha may have had more content at one point (Becuase of the large amount of editor references in the .exe), but almost all of it was stripped out for the Tech Demo version that we have.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011, 21:13

Leo posted some cool screenshots of an earlier Unreal Alpha, as well as a beta video.

Since I just received a package of old unreal screenshots/videos and other stuff, I thought of uploading this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yHh35ghbuw

Also, really really old preview shots, earlier than the famous 95 tech demo it seems:
3.rar
It seems it has Gargoyle too. It wasn't dragon then at all, unlike what some thought.
Last edited by AlCapowned on 24 Apr 2011, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Gizzy

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 01:35

Code: Select all

###############################################
# Unreal, Copyright 1997 Epic MegaGames, Inc. #
###############################################

Info: Log file open, Sunday, April 24, 2011 00:37:39
Info: Starting Unreal 0.86
Info: Using Unreal Virtual Machine 0.86
Info: Compiled with Visual C++ 4.0, May 24 1997 20:35:44

It sucks. It's just a "stripped down" version, just like the 1995 Alpha was. The controls are minimal, the HUD is similar to the one seen in preview shots, but non-functional as seen here: (Pic taken by me)

All the monsters in that picture are placeholders apart from the Skaarj, Brute and Krall. The former two have actual animations whereas the latter one just floats toward me. There seems to be a "Turret" monster and a early (Somewhat deformed,) version of the blob too.

Skaarj:

Another fucked up thing, is that the code for the game is IN the maps. I opened a map and there was a crapton of (What i'm presuming is) very early coding for the monsters. Same goes for the single .utx package that comes with it.

Interestingly enough, Unreal.EXE doesn't load, it crashes with an error and you have to run UnServer.EXE to load Unreal. UnrealED doesn't work either, it crashes instantly with the following error: "System Error &H80004005 (-2147467259). Unspecified Error"

If anyone wants to know more about it, ask me, PM me or w/e, to tired to list it all now.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 01:55

Lool the Dragon is supposed to be called Skaarj Hawk (still Dragon in-game). The Tentacle was supposed to be called Kraken.
Stuff related to the main character being a Skaarj Hybrid and weird crap like that is false. And Titans were put under control by the Skaarj.
Last edited by UB_ on 24 Apr 2011, 02:24, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 01:59

Wow, that's still pretty awesome, limited or not. Thanks for putting so much effort into this.

Do you think it would be possible to use something like 3D Ripper DX to get the textures (if the skins aren't in the .utx files)?

Edit: Call me slow, but where are you guys finding all of this information?

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 02:42

skaarj skin looks interesting. do want
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 02:55

The Skaarj (named Skaarj Hunter) skin is actually very detailed, dreadlocks and the claws looked way better back then. There's also the famous Big Man (brute) skin too.
ImageImage

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 02:57

Wow, I never thought I'd see the Big Man skin. :shock:

Teflon
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 03:02

It's not a total bust; there's some neat stuff in there, like a reskinned version of the woman model shown in old, old screenshots. She looks a bit like the final Gina model, which is also in this prototype. There's also different projectiles for the Skaarj, and working AI for the Skaarj and Brute. The Krall has really, really buggy AI that makes it just sit around and occasionally repeat the first few frames of it's run animation while sliding. The only enemy that can kill you is the Skaarj, and that's only by using it's projectile attacks. Every other attack (Skaarj and Krall melee attack and Behemoth's guns) do nothing.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 03:12

Does the Krall have a different skin?

Teflon
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011, 03:13

AlCapowned wrote:Does the Krall have a different skin?

It's very similar to the one in the 98 beta.

Also, this prototype has no sound. The raw code in UNREAL.UNR mentions a sound playing for the Skarrj firing projectiles, but the package does not exist. It's likely they were removed for this prototype.
Last edited by Teflon on 24 Apr 2011, 03:14, edited 2 times in total.

Previous Next