Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

AA introduces texture artifacts

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: AA introduces texture artifacts

Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019, 08:43

Having used these settings for quite a while with D3D9

Code: Select all

NoAATiles=True
NumAASamples=4
UseAA=True

I found that they were actually messing with my screenshots and I kept assuming it was because of DX9 or the mod I was using. Turns out antialiasing is not very well implemented. Disabling it fixes the issue.

I'm now pretty much forced to use FXAA through the same injector. You guys should check it out if you were using AA.
M'nali

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: AA introduces texture artifacts

Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019, 10:38

I don't have this problem now but used to have it with my older PC - indeed I now systematically use FXAA and those immersion breaking artifacts ("edges") are now consigned to history :)

Thanks for pointing out the actual issue! I didn't know why it got better when I changed graphics card... :P
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019, 16:54

That's a texture clamping issue. AA just sharpens that edge and so you see it. Skyboxes are notorious for showcasing them. That's why mappers cheat by moving the texture 1 unit in overlap.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019, 14:37

gopostal wrote:That's a texture clamping issue. AA just sharpens that edge and so you see it. Skyboxes are notorious for showcasing them. That's why mappers cheat by moving the texture 1 unit in overlap.

Thanks for clarifying gopostal! :) That's a cool trick actually, but with FXAA on the issue resolves itself. I am very happy about that as I attach a lot of importance to the immersion factor provided by a skybox :tup:
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.