ividyon will never get this done, will he.

26/11/2007 - "Moonspire Gate" by Gui

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 26/11/2007 - "Moonspire Gate" by Gui

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2007, 00:46

Map Title: (Moonspire part 1 of 3 (?):) Moonspire Gate & The Temple of Ezsmerhim
Author: Guilhem "Gui" Bedos
Filename: nclevel007.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/6080585

ImageImage

Synopsis: You've finally reached the Moonspire. The main entrance looks both heavy guarded and bolted shut, so you'll need to find another way around.

Discuss!
Last edited by Jethro on 01 Dec 2007, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2007, 01:08

Now this is an impressive part of the moonspire levels, the moonspire exterior is some major large scale grandness. And i should really mention that there's a really pretty temple hidden beyond a cave that is on the right where you enter the outdoor part. its unfortunately that you'd either have to choose the cave/temple or the outdoor stroll enjoying the moonspire exterior, because the split path happens pretty early in the map and both don't converge at all.

User avatar Ultimate Weasel
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2007, 16:14

Jethro wrote:...so you'll need to find another way around.

^ Secret 7B pun? :P

I have to say it's a pretty grand map, but there's a lot of walking to be done too. At least, if you plan to drop into the water to get in the Moonspire. I've always preferred the route through the temple of Ezsmerhisomethingorother, which is the section I like best of the map. I loved the atmosphere there, although I started to get sick of the many critters by then.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2007, 19:21

It's the prettiest part of the Moonspire section, which ironically is set outside the Moonspire itself.

Yes, the build is great and it's conceptually grand. However, the catacomb section was just pretty basic, even if helped by tons of decorations.

Gameplay-wise, I remember this map being the usual story of... well nothing:
1)Catacombs full of critters.
2)Water area around the Moonspire full of annoyances.

The catacomb part was still better. Lots of spells that make the game pretty unbalanced and the awesome Concussion Staff - my favourite weapon of NC.

The map become boring near the end, when you have to search for the exit.

Oh, and did I mention the amazing Titan group found around the Moonspire? That group lets you make another amazing thing: killing lots of healthy Titans in a row. Normal Titans plus two giant Stone Titans with even more health.

As the dumb@55 that I am, I engaged battle against all of them, using the Boulder and the Worm-thingy spells. Mana recovery section: the cavern leading to the temple of Ezsmerhim.
All the work for nothing because there was nothing that Titan were hiding. What was worse is to know that you aren't supposed to kill them, according to the last Moonspire map (see last MOTW).
At least it's rewarding doing it, it's pretty damn fun.

For the rest, lots of Flies and boat rides as I can recall, plus the great intro.

Nothing bad here.
ImageImage

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Nov 2007, 23:38

Turboman wrote:its unfortunately that you'd either have to choose the cave/temple or the outdoor stroll enjoying the moonspire exterior, because the split path happens pretty early in the map and both don't converge at all.

Er... what? I'm (I've played this map for this MOTW) pretty sure that you can do both, in fact you're supposed to go near the Moonspire, see it's guardians and then rabbit tells you to go back and to look for the hidden passage to the temple. So you can enjoy views if you like to.
Ultimate Weasel wrote:
Jethro wrote:...so you'll need to find another way around.

^ Secret 7B pun? :P

No kidding :P
Ultimate Weasel wrote:I've always preferred the route through the temple of Ezsmerhisomethingorother, which is the section I like best of the map. I loved the atmosphere there, although I started to get sick of the many critters by then.

I'd say this map has it's moments, and the temples' entrance is one of them. On the other hand inner halls filled with pests show some really basic architecture (but nice texturing and usage of decorations) and it have... strange feeling. Note krall staff charges, spirtual charges and skaarj rockets, they're completly out of place there, I see no point in placing them that early in the game.
UBerserker wrote:Yes, the build is great and it's conceptually grand. However, the catacomb section was just pretty basic, even if helped by tons of decorations.

If catacombs = temple then I agree with you, it could have been better, but I quite like the way it is. If you mean lower part of Moonspire then sorry my friend, that's the next map, this one ends once you reach lower entrance.
UBerserker wrote:The catacomb part was still better. Lots of spells that make the game pretty unbalanced and the awesome Concussion Staff - my favourite weapon of NC.

Krall Staff is found in the next level.
To be honest, during my first playthrough I found it pretty useless as I thought it's only able to shoot those silly projectiles. Now, during preparations of one of the MOTWs I accidently realised that's its capable of dealing tons of melee damage, so now I consider it as one of the most powerfull weapons in the game (if used correctly).
UBerserker wrote:At least it's rewarding doing it, it's pretty damn fun.

And tons of spellcasting expirience which comes in handy in later parts of the game where mana sources aren't that plentiful.

Things that others say mostly cover what I think about this map. But I think it was too overscaled, I liked entrance to the Sunspire better (although I like the interior of Moonspire over Sunspire).

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Nov 2007, 15:00

Jethro wrote:Krall Staff is found in the next level.
To be honest, during my first playthrough I found it pretty useless as I thought it's only able to shoot those silly projectiles. Now, during preparations of one of the MOTWs I accidently realised that's its capable of dealing tons of melee damage, so now I consider it as one of the most powerfull weapons in the game (if used correctly).

Does it? I tried it out.. and thought it was pretty useless, so I never used it... :/

As for the rabbit giving a hint.. yes, I remember that actually. The problem is tho that for a lot of people, the rabbit didn't work at all or worked only for a few levels...
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Nov 2007, 15:30

Weird... I remember the Krall Staff being here...
ImageImage

User avatar Jblade
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Nov 2007, 21:22

UBerserker wrote:Weird... I remember the Krall Staff being here...

It is - you can get it in the underwater passage in the forgotten temple (which atmospherically was just as amazing as the moonspire itself - this segment's definitly the highlight of NC)

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007, 11:09

Darkon wrote:Does it? I tried it out.. and thought it was pretty useless, so I never used it... :/

Well, I like it's massive damage and huge kick-off (like Krall Staff in original unreal, with one of their attacks they could throw you away a few meters). But as I said, it's tricky to use, just as all melee weapons.
Darkon wrote:As for the rabbit giving a hint.. yes, I remember that actually. The problem is tho that for a lot of people, the rabbit didn't work at all or worked only for a few levels...

Yeah, heard about this problem, fortunatly it didn't happened to me and he was talkin all the time (a little annoying, isn't it?).
UBerserker wrote:Weird... I remember the Krall Staff being here...

JBlade wrote:It is - you can get it in the underwater passage in the forgotten temple

Oh, I've never found this one, I awalys thought Krall Staff is first found in Catacombs. Sorry for the confusion.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007, 14:43

Jethro wrote:
Darkon wrote:As for the rabbit giving a hint.. yes, I remember that actually. The problem is tho that for a lot of people, the rabbit didn't work at all or worked only for a few levels...

Yeah, heard about this problem, fortunatly it didn't happened to me and he was talkin all the time (a little annoying, isn't it?).

Not really.. I kinda liked it to have that sidekick! :D :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007, 22:15

Jethro wrote:If catacombs = temple then I agree with you, it could have been better, but I quite like the way it is. If you mean lower part of Moonspire then sorry my friend, that's the next map, this one ends once you reach lower entrance.

Yes, I was talking about the temple. It didn't look like a temple at all IMO.
ImageImage

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 28 Nov 2007, 22:45

UBerserker wrote:Yes, I was talking about the temple. It didn't look like a temple at all IMO.

Well, yes, but in fact most of the maps in this pack doesn't look like they have any purpose. But that's ok as long as at least visuals looks good.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2007, 01:18

I didn't get time to add subtitles this week (it makes the overall processing take way longer).

The temple section is probably the best looking area in NC, although it could have done with a bit more opportunity to explore. The Titan area seems to be one of the few tweaks from version 1, as there now seem to be no mana refill spots there, making killing the Titans FAR harder than in V1 (or at least a big exercise in patience). I recall it taking me quite a while to find the alternative entrance the first time I played.

I think this is the level with the message that is cut off (which I mentioned in the review), also, I recall it being impossible to reach the exit if you jump back to the lake after the boat is in place. The visuals make it one of the best maps in NC, although the gameplay is a pest fest.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2007, 20:31

Those Titans can be easily defeated with the Worm spell. Be sure they don't attack in any way when the spell is in effect.
ImageImage

User avatar Ultimate Weasel
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Nov 2007, 22:34

UBerserker wrote:Those Titans can be easily defeated with the Worm spell. Be sure they don't attack in any way when the spell is in effect.

I tend to run/jump/dodge past them into the water. You barely gain anything, but it's tons of fun. :P

Next