Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

24/04/2018 - "Xeops -Cheope-" by UBerserker

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 24/04/2018 - "Xeops -Cheope-" by UBerserker

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018, 03:30

Map Title: Xeops -Cheope-
Author: UBerserker
Filename: UB01-Xeops.unr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNqGxs500mg

Synopsis: Damien, a seemingly immortal one-man army, is sent to a planet with a former Egyptian-esque civilisation to find some lost high-technology and prevent it from getting into the wrong hands. Unfortunately an enemy army has already landed and started the search...

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 24/04/2018 - "Xeops -Cheope-" by UBerserker

Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018, 09:18

Aww yeah the last MOTW. I'll comment more later on but how I wish I made this map earlier.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018, 00:00

Wanted to wait the video to pop up before commenting but given the map's longevity it's going to be quite a hassle to do that.

Anyway, hot damn every time I open this map I stare in awe. I'm finally happy about something I did? Not to meant I'm not happy about G59 but that's an old story that needs to be wrapped up soon. I just can't wait to go back to this because with regular Unreal gameplay there's more space to buff up visuals without performance issues, which is something I look forward to do.

As I've already said in the project thread, I missed the times when we had "single-map behemoths" like TLF and Triamid thanks to contests but since those aren't happening anymore, I felt a void.
So fuck it: I wanted to make something of that quality or even beyond myself. Now it's probably my favorite level.
I'm more of a gameplay designer so that's why I went with the UT/EXU-Actors route and god damn the EXU actors really help setting up battles with the minimum effort possible. Thank you Waff.

Given it took 1 month to make (and another for the re-release) I really wish more people went for single map releases rather than making gigantic mappacks. Translating the idea of how some music artists release very few songs per year that turn up extremely good/impactful because of the focused effort into each single song. Though I know some people don't even have the time to map single levels, and I can perfectly understand that.

Eager to actually change the ending in the way that you exit the place and go into a desert land where you survive until you get picked up by your allies. I have done new texture improvements in Xeops:

Biggest change here is the use of macrotexture to simulate bumpmapping, making all textures look insanely detailed from any distance (it owns while using the Rifle zoom). Rotated all the desert floor textures so it would create shadows behind the dunes when facing the sun.

If you have one really huge floor brush (talking about 10k/20k size-wise), divide that floor in multiple, smaller parts. This fixes possible random crashes or fatal graphical artifacts occurring with dynamic lights.

My head is all into completing the FINAL and improved G59 campaign. Once that's done, I'll take a huge break from the editor and return somewhen later this year with something new to continue Xeops. I want visit a more Italian/European theme in the vein of how Serious Sam 4 is going to do.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018, 17:22

My shit internet means the playthrough will likely take until Monday for me to upload so I guess I'll post now (though most of my thoughts are already in the thread for it). One of the best single-map releases and the patch was a big improvement in every area that really brought it together into a top level map. The setting is unique and well-executed, and the all the new additions come together well. Interesting to hear that there's a potential new version as well...
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018, 17:43

Semfry wrote:My shit internet means the playthrough will likely take until Monday for me to upload so I guess I'll post now (though most of my thoughts are already in the thread for it). One of the best single-map releases and the patch was a big improvement in every area that really brought it together into a top level map. The setting is unique and well-executed, and the all the new additions come together well. Interesting to hear that there's a potential new version as well...

Since this is the last MOTW it'll be extended until the monthly thing begins (I don't plan to do it right away as May starts).
ImageImage

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 29 Apr 2018, 07:21

This release was certainly a welcome surprise. The visuals were impressive and the gameplay was excellent. The custom music tracks were well chosen too, and really added to the atmosphere.

I look forward to seeing more levels in this vein.
StalwartUK

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 03 May 2018, 11:43

Dat look good

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 May 2018, 21:30

FYI: thanks to Semfry the playthrough video is finally live, all secrets are also shown.

Some thing I forgot to point out that's hard to notice in-game: some of the main character's quotes are different depending if you triggered specific translator messages. There aren't that many but it's cool details to add in (main character doesn't know what's the name of the Gasbags and why they are friendly so he's surprised at first sight... unless he read that ancient message near the Ripper area where he gets to know their whereabouts).
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018, 23:50

Tomorrow there will be a bonus MOTW. I had this idea for a while to shut down and turn on the MOTW board occasionally.
ImageImage