Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

08/01/2018 -"Merc Shipping Lane" by Juan Pancho Eekels (LH Redux)

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 08/01/2018 -"Merc Shipping Lane" by Juan Pancho Eekels (LH Redux)

Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018, 21:24

Map Title: Merc Shipping Lane
Author: Juan Pancho Eekels (rredux: Lightning Hunter)
Filename: FHub6.unr
Music Files: utmenu23.umx, StarOne.umx

https://youtu.be/lUF6MVZ9n-g

Synopsis: In the rainy valley where the Mercenary ship Cryox has crashed. Prisoner 849 encounters the unexpected.

Discuss!

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 08/01/2018 -"Merc Shipping Lane" by Juan Pancho Eekels (LH Redux)

Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018, 19:05

I don't know when the actual timeline on this was, but I get the feeling it's a very early and relatively unfinished map (though I guess the sheer scale would be impressive back then). It's mostly a flat plane with little to find, and seems like an early terrain experiment before they got better at making denser and more interesting outdoor level design. The various Ultimate Edition changes help but there's only so much that can be done with a map as simple as this (without outright adding a bunch like G59 does).
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018, 12:28

Semfry wrote:I don't know when the actual timeline on this was, but I get the feeling it's a very early and relatively unfinished map (though I guess the sheer scale would be impressive back then). It's mostly a flat plane with little to find, and seems like an early terrain experiment before they got better at making denser and more interesting outdoor level design. The various Ultimate Edition changes help but there's only so much that can be done with a map as simple as this (without outright adding a bunch like G59 does).

The original ver was even more empty (lacked that small rock formation + palm at the final lake, and the big valley ONLY has that Merc ship and had no interior, there were also no enemies). It was definitely far from being finished, however it was supposed to be themed after a hot desert area and wasn't rainy, the merc ship was another level entirely and there was probably going to be more locations.
Whatever Pancho planned was probably not fit for UE1, especially for the computers in that era.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018, 18:01

Yeah I guess the alternative is that the idea of an actual open desert map was explored here but then deemed too hard to pull off convincingly within the hardware confines Unreal was designed for.
Formerly Mman