A random sentence for a random mind.

18/12/2017 - "The Last Fortress" by Lord Waffnuffly "War Bonnet" Letz

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 18/12/2017 - "The Last Fortress" by Lord Waffnuffly "War Bonnet" Letz

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017, 20:41

Map Title: The Last Fortress
Author: Lord Waffnuffly "War Bonnet" Letz
Filename: TheLastFortressFinal.unr
Music Files: Crater.umx, Watcher.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWcjl752BNI

Synopsis: A way off Na Pali lies ahead. All that stands in the way is a structure fortified enough to hold off an army...

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: 18/12/2017 - "The Last Fortress" by Lord Waffnuffly "War Bonnet" Letz

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017, 23:42

Still my favourite standalone SP map, with a very surprising new weapon, great gameplay, incredible variations in fights, great tension and a location where almost everything is reachable (even a sadistic secret :) worthy of Xenome).
Fear of heights? Don't play this.
And all basically in a a single square area. Definitely the well-deserved winner of a mapmaking contest.
I strongly suggest to play this before reading the review, you won't regret it.

User avatar Bombadilian
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord
Location: STILL hanging around the back of the Rikers wreck, wondering what the hell that buzzing noise is.

Subject: Re: 18/12/2017 - "The Last Fortress" by Lord Waffnuffly "War Bonnet" Letz

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017, 08:24

You know, one of the great things about these MOTW threads is that (as a relative newcomer to the Unreal community) I get to find out about maps I wouldn't have otherwise known about. I'll definitely be checking this filthy temptress out, how sexy does that lighting look?! Hats off to you Mr Nuffly sir.
"If that bitch in Cell 4A keeps looking at me funny, I swear I'm going to rip out her larynx!"

User avatar Preki
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017, 18:38

Never played this one, looks great and I gotta play it sometime. Is it playable in U1?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017, 18:59

Preki wrote:Never played this one, looks great and I gotta play it sometime. Is it playable in U1?

Was made for UT.
ImageImage

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017, 21:02

My old comments:

"Definitely one of the best single maps, although I do somewhat agree with Sana's complaints of the start being a bit irritating at times, and the bottom levels maybe being slightly dark, along with the climbing ropes of death. On the other hand it's very high in difficulty while mostly staying fair, and makes great use of space to fill out a location that could easily be very empty. Also, the skybox reveal as the level goes on is a bit of subtle storytelling genius (as well as the cool interaction with it at the end)."
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017, 21:22

Still the strongest solo single map release. What's really make all amazing is the small time frame (deadline included) in which this level was made.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017, 13:00

UBerserker wrote:Still the strongest solo single map release. What's really make all amazing is the small time frame (deadline included) in which this level was made.

Holy shit. Looking forward to playing this for sure :D
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.