Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

12/11/2017 - "Hailatha Village" by Teridax

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 12/11/2017 - "Hailatha Village" by Teridax

Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017, 01:56

Map Title: Hailatha Village
Author: Teridax
Filename: ResurgencePartTwo.unr
Music Files: Black.umx and WarGate.umx

Video Playthrough: https://youtu.be/XaN5g1-ZA3A

Synopsis: Walking through a Nali village occupied with Mercenaries sounds dangerous. It also has rain that has bipolar.

Discuss!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: 12/11/2017 - "Hailatha Village" by Teridax

Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017, 14:40

*Part 1
Already got stuck trying to get that invisibility lul
Last edited by Diego96 on 13 Dec 2017, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
M'nali

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017, 05:31

Wow, I finished the current version just in time for this it seems.

Aside from the humor from the rain deciding to stop at random intervals due to the unfinished nature of the campaign, I think this is a great introduction map. I think it needs work obviously, like the rest of the campaign, but I like the idea of the town being optional (although I think it was going to be made mandatory), and the fact that "skytown texture town at night with heavy storm occupied by mercs followed by foundryesque industrial facility" is the aesthetic of this map made me a very happy individual.

I don't have any faults with this map really, it's just solid overall, with good logs/atmosphere and decent gameplay considering that the new weapons are still kinda janky right now in my opinion.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017, 14:44

I loved watching this map develop. It's a shame it had to be split up.

Diego96 wrote:*Part 1
Already got stuck trying that get that invisibility lul

You have to use the raziks' lunge ability by pressing your mouse buttons at the same time. Then if you go outside to the area with the predators and lunge on top of the temple exit, you can use the dampener and invisibility to safely lunge to the board that's close by and sneak into the village.

The next version will have a tutorial that covers lunging and some other stuff.

Xanious wrote:.

Yeah, the village is going to be mandatory in the next release. I liked that it was optional too, but at the same time it was problematic for some events. The rain effect is intentional (kind of like how some games have day/night cycles in a short amount of time), I even made a trigger for the new version to make the rain fade out.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017, 17:27

A good main first map for Resurgence. The visual design is a little up and down; it looks good, yet the ambient lighting frequently looks quite one-dimensional, and there's some occasionally awkward texturing like the top of the cave where you get the Impaler. On the other hand there's cool visual designs like the underground "tower", the tech-base and the village itself. The village being optional is more strange for how it's handled; you just stumble across the cave entrance early on which seems like a mild diversion, then it's a whole part which leads to the exit, with basically the only clue being if you employ "meta" knowledge that a route which is handing out new weapons is probably the way further. Maybe I missed something but the village also seemed a little lacking in reward for following the subplot the whole way, as all you seem to get is some Stinger ammo and seeds (on top of the Mercenary thing which apparently changes the next map a little). On a general Resurgence note your weapons seem pretty weak at this point, especially as melee attacks aren't much use due to having such unforgiving hitboxes; on Unreal in particular enemies end up very overtuned so they destroy you in close range and your weapons are weak enough that you're mostly reduced to plinking away with the Razik bolts. That does fix once you get better weapons+Razik upgrades in the later maps though, and I really like the idea of special melee attacks giving you mobility, although the handling is a little clunky (you seem to have to do at least one attack to link into it, rather than just being able to lunge anytime).
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017, 17:25

As it's the last day for this MOTW

Probably the only truly hard level of the pack as resources are low and the first few weapons aren't strong enough. Being forced to play on 100% speed and with the rain going on which caused some rare slowdowns, the whole thing felt probably more slow-paced than what I'm used to but at least dodging the projectiles is so much of a joke - not that much since you're still a larger target, especially against other Skaarj. Build was really good, Impaler is a great weapon that should've been part of the main Unreal arsenal (though better if it was made after how it was described in the Unbible).
The annoying part was the Predator pack ambush. They are really annoying and ugly creatures and I wouldn't be against them being completely forgotten by mappers.
ImageImage