Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

30/10/2017 - "The Shitstorm" by Lord Waffnuffly & Myscha the sled dog

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 30/10/2017 - "The Shitstorm" by Lord Waffnuffly & Myscha the sled dog

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017, 16:18

Map Title: The Shitstorm
Author: Lord Waffnuffly & Myscha the sled dog
Filename: EXU2-BI03-Shitstorm.unr
Music Files: firebr.umx

Synopsis: The MOTW Halloween special brings you the latest released version of Batshit Insane's Bluff conversion!

Discuss!

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 30/10/2017 - "The Shitstorm" by Lord Waffnuffly & Myscha the sled dog

Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017, 16:20

Halloween special. Also MOTW first day is back to being Monday again.
Hopefully a new EXU2 ver release is on the line
ImageImage

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 30/10/2017 - "The Shitstorm" by Lord Waffnuffly & Myscha the sled dog

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017, 00:14

Had a feeling it would be a map from EXU2 lol. This mappack is batshit insane nuts. Why is it called Shitstorm if there is no shit (besides the shitgun)?
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017, 00:52

Jigoku wrote:Had a feeling it would be a map from EXU2 lol. This mappack is batshit insane nuts. Why is it called Shitstorm if there is no shit (besides the shitgun)?

At some points in the level shitgun blobs do actually rain down lol
ImageImage

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017, 05:38

"Let's take Bluff and make it even better. Also shit."

Seriously, I think Shitstorm is still one of the best things to come out of EXU2. It takes Bluff's excellent level design and just makes it even more batshit while adding some nice tricks here and there. It feels like where EXU2 stops warming up and starts throwing out everything it's got. It early on establishes that EXU2 isnt just going to be a reskinned U1 with crazy gameplay by completely jumping to a conversion of Bluff as a replacement for some sort of Dig conversion (I would totally "dig" a Dig EXU2 conversion by the way. :) )

It's arguably also the most iconic EXU2 conversion. It's early on, and its the first big proper EXU2 map. It's a labyrinth full of shitstained demon fuckery that perfectly demonstrates what EXU2 is all about early on right after the cramped creepyness that was Damnation and the rush of the Nyleve conversion gets you hooked.

Also really good usage of Fire Breath as music choice. I now associate it with this level because of how well it works. Kinda like how Frostclaw Underground engraved Nether as a ice level theme in my head with how effective it was as one. Also the atmosphere and sound design in this level is top notch as well. I love the start of the level, it's just, so, damn, good.

Waff, you did a really fucking good job with this mod so far, and I can't wait to see what you do next with it. :tup:

User avatar Bombadilian
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord
Location: STILL hanging around the back of the Rikers wreck, wondering what the hell that buzzing noise is.

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017, 14:24

Are there any shit-based maps in existence?
"If that bitch in Cell 4A keeps looking at me funny, I swear I'm going to rip out her larynx!"

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017, 23:57

Bombadilian wrote:Are there any shit-based maps in existence?

Well this map counts, I think.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017, 00:36

Map 3 from G59 was Bio/Shit themed, mostly Bio though.
ImageImage

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017, 00:51

No shit? Well, gotta check it out then.
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017, 01:55

Based on the newest version of this map it's interesting how much it has evolved over it's lifespan; from what I recall the older versions were essentially Bluff with a reskin on top of the forcefield thing, and now it has a whole bunch of modern-ish military stuff around the bottom along with a ton of new and changed details; while the general structure is the same it definitely feels like it's own map now. The force-fields are pretty impressive in themselves as I'm guessing they were a nightmare to implement. The map has also always had multiple little set-pieces added like the bomber raid on the bluff entrance and the rocket troll moment in the sewers (at least there's kind of a warning if you're playing on the lower difficulties that have hints I guess?). From what I recall this was pretty much the main major map to go through EXU conversion, and in that regard it's oddly became an iconic map to both Unreal and EXU.

Since I haven't played the whole way through the newer versions yet I don't know how other maps have changed but from the older version I played through years ago I definitely recall the constant iteration and improvement this map has gone through vs newer ones stuck out. My only real problem with it is the base structural problem of it having a bunch of vertical choke points with water/lifts that means you have to enter some areas blind and potentially surrounded, so all you can do is pre-spam the hell out of them and hope very little survives. On the other hand at least this level is open enough that there's generally better entrances to take.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017, 14:56

After playing it finally (didn't try it in v6 either), it's still surprisingly balanced given how large it is. The haunted castle secret is really amazing if you figure out how to access it (the way you can legitimately exit it out seems harder than necessary however?). The lighting is absolutely amazing, it's incredible how stable the original Bluff is considering all the new geometry additions.
Too bad the fish secret is gone, glad instead the Pupae secret is gone though! I had a Superb Charger spawning on the Bluff peak lmao.
ImageImage