ividyon will never get this done, will he.

06/02/2017 - "WipeOut" by El Chicoverde and Hourences

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Delacroix, Jigoku, Doublez-Down, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 06/02/2017 - "WipeOut" by El Chicoverde and Hourences

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017, 18:53

Map Title: NP19 Part 3 : WipeOut
Author: El chicoverde/Hourences
Filename: np19part3chicohour.unr
Music Files: Course.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NihpZ3HC-54

Synopsis: The high speed escape to freedom.

Discuss!

User avatar Preki
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: 06/02/2017 - "WipeOut" by El Chicoverde and Hourences

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017, 02:12

Remember trying to beat that beast with the best time, without crashing even once. That was darn hard to accomplish, mostly due to three obstacles. These are:
-the first vertical bend where the camera turns upside down and it's hard to guide your craft
-falling debris and constantly moving blast doors by the end of cavern seen on the last screenshot
-and that goddamn narrow vertical tunnel!

Speaking of music, Toxeen should've composed some upbeat intense track for this one, "The Course" doesn't fit here IMHO.

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017, 04:37

Auto run maps like these in ANY game drive me fricken BONKERS. I almost refuse to play ONP again because of those two maps in the pack...
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017, 13:12

I'm fairly sure both ONP shuttle maps don't give you bonus points if you clear them under the best time, at least nothing happened to me.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017, 17:48

The first automap is easy.
But this bastard gave me headaches.
It's almost impossible to do this without prior knowledge - there is a section where you have to either slow down or speed up to avoid a closing valve or something.

But it is a nice looking map and the I pareticularly liked being attacked with ground to air missiles.
Replay value? - at least 20 times (the number of tries before I succeeded, and that with speedsaves :shake: )

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017, 23:39

UBerserker wrote:I'm fairly sure both ONP shuttle maps don't give you bonus points if you clear them under the best time, at least nothing happened to me.

There's technically a few points with closing doors where you're stuck if you go too slow, but they're pretty forgiving compared to how fast you can go.

I'm not sure how I feel about the flight mechanics overall (given there's not too much to it beyond going as fast as you think you can handle), but it's hard to deny that this level takes the idea about as far it can go, and maybe even beyond given the age of the engine. The huge rooms are impressive, and there are events going on everywhere that you can easily miss with how fast it is, not to mention lots of moving objects that impact gameplay. While I'm not sure how I feel about actually playing it it's certainly a technical marvel, and shows it's pedigree as a collaboration of the kings of epic Unreal design Chico and Hourences.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017, 00:51

Semfry wrote:
UBerserker wrote:I'm fairly sure both ONP shuttle maps don't give you bonus points if you clear them under the best time, at least nothing happened to me.

There's technically a few points with closing doors where you're stuck if you go too slow, but they're pretty forgiving compared to how fast you can go.

The doors in the final area you mean, right? Those actually open again if you get far away, which should be possible if you go really slow.

The most annoying part is the vertical tunnel, be a slight bit out of position and you crash on the borders of the doors.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017, 15:59

Preki wrote:Speaking of music, Toxeen should've composed some upbeat intense track for this one, "The Course" doesn't fit here IMHO.

Still baffled how NPResurrect was used like for only few minutes in the whole ONP, probably the best music track in the pack.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017, 22:05

As I remember it, this was more or less the mascot level of ONP back during the heyday of its release. No matter how you felt about the campaign the Wipe Out level was just really cool for Unreal. Too cool to ignore, really.

After so many years I still think it's really amazing that a match up between these two designers actually happened and a level like this was attempted.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017, 00:54

Rock and roll

Finally, I can say it - WipeOut is simply one of my two favourite levels from Operation Na Pali, the other being Thra Fortress.

Runners-up: Prisoned, Skaarj Outpost (Part 2), Nali Mountain Fighters (Part 2), The Volcano, Vortex Rikers (redux), and Na Pali Heaven (Part 2).

Mister_Prophet wrote:As I remember it, this was more or less the mascot level of ONP back during the heyday of its release. No matter how you felt about the campaign the WipeOut level was just really cool for Unreal. Too cool to ignore, really.

After so many years I still think it's really amazing that a match up between these two designers actually happened and a level like this was attempted.

Damn straight.

It blew me away on my first playthrough. One of the best looking maps in the whole of Unreal/UT. Incredible attention to detail, and the fact that the first time you will have to reload (likely multiple times) means you actually get a chance to appreciate just how generous the level is. Some assets here aren't used anywhere else in the campaign. It's a place - actually it's multiple places - and it's alive. Yeah, Skaarj and turrets will fire at you, silos will open and close, stalactites will fall, cargo will be moved etc., and I really like smashing through the windows of that walkway in the cave!

Course.umx is fast-paced, it's fine but I will say it is not ideal - the only aspect that is not remarquable IMO, even the sounds in some areas of the level are more memorable.

WipeOut is actually one of the few hard levels in ONP, and probably the hardest as to this day I'm unable to make it through in one go - I still have to save before the vertical tunnel and try again :P (I just played it again now so I know what I'm talking about; however, this time I also discovered that the level automatically provides a checkpoint just after the first vertical bend, and at least one more at the beginning of the final cave - if you crash, just click the left mouse button and the level will send you to the last checkpoint, pretty neat).

This map is up there with my favourite SP maps for Unreal/UT (which, btw, are all custom maps), and there is only one SP map I prefer to these so far - I'll tell you about it when it comes up in Map Of The Week ;)

UBerserker wrote:Still baffled how NPResurrect was used like for only few minutes in the whole of ONP, probably the best music track in the pack.

I'm baffled too even if I prefer some others from the pack like NPIntruder.umx.
NPresurect.umx (yeah it's spelt that way, typo probably) got one single appearance in Sharuk Crossing but that passage was badly set up in terms of music, so to tell you the truth I never even realised I had heard it (for probably less than a minute) while playing ONP, and it was only while mapping and checking out the custom tracks that I actually got to appreciate it.

Fucking genius playthrough video for this MOTW by the way - I never did finish the level upside-down like that!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.