A random sentence for a random mind.

18/01/2016 - "Temple of Vandora" by Shane Caudle

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 18/01/2016 - "Temple of Vandora" by Shane Caudle

Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016, 18:56

Map Title: Temple of Vandora
Author: Shane Caudle
Filename: Ruins.unr
Music Files: Utemple.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcHWNdxToiE

Synopsis: You enter an imposing Nali Temple, what could be inside?

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: 18/01/2016 - "Temple of Vandora" by Shane Caudle

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016, 11:00

Hello,
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me.
Is there anyone at home?

I did not like this map a lat but it's a gud map.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016, 16:39

Ah, this map :)

I've been intimately close to this level because of Seven Bullets, but I've always been fond of it. It's one of those Unreal maps that doesn't feel like it's just some obstacle in your path, but rather that you are passing through a location that's been there long before you. The map before and the map after, the same cannot be said for. But the layout in here is what works. Opening shortcuts, exploring side rooms just because they are there. I love that stuff.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 20 Jan 2016, 16:45

This map has one long history of development things about it viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3559&p=68125#p68125

Definitely the first map and song that come to mind when I think about Unreal. Like, this location is literally a place where you just pass through because that was how it was originally concepted as, a bunch of ruins you just visit.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 21 Jan 2016, 01:42

Probably among my favourite maps in the game. It's got a nice structure that balances linearity and non-linearity that loops over itself in interesting ways (the gate to the outside area opening feels slightly vague the first time, but there isn't much else left at that point). The purple flame and Titan fights are two memorable set-pieces, but it's got several smaller events and memorable areas too. It's also one of the better looking levels in the game overall, and the outdoor area is kind of interesting as it has smooth hills in a way that the other outdoor areas don't; I wonder if that's part of the level's development history and it was made by different techniques to the other level's terrain.
Formerly Mman

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016, 08:18

This is my favourite map. When I first entered to the temple I was charmed by the music and atmosphere like I fell into a trance. :) This map is much more colourful than presented screenshots. The Torch of Tranquility is something amazing! I really adore the map! When I played Unreal next times I couldn't waiting for reach the Temple of Vandora.

User avatar FXANBSS
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016, 18:39

Why there is still a titan? It seems they can live a lot, there was Nali enjoying that event...
I grant you the ultimate power!

User avatar Xanious
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016, 21:38

Oh shit I almost forgot to comment on this one!

Temple of Vandora is the level next to spire, isv, and skytown that I always think of when I think of the original unreal. It just epitomizes all I love so much about this game. The atmosphere, the music, the gameplay, then enviroments. This is the level that just screams "UNREAL" to me.

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016, 15:45

Annetteblue wrote:This is my favourite map.

I can't say I'm surprised! :) I would like to see Doublez-Down comment on this one, as it must have been influential in his mapping. Although I have to say Chicoverde's work really must be experienced by anyone who particularly enjoyed this kind of atmosphere. I, too, loved the atmosphere which comes to life thanks to good build (in terms of geometry but also in terms of lighting) and smart use of music (UTemple.umx rules). I remember getting a nasty fright from the sudden appearance of that Skaarj Berserker at the Torch of Tranquility (tranquility my ass :) ), and yeah the Titan in that ancient theatre was memorable. Exploration felt good, and as Prophet mentioned, Temple of Vandora really feels like an ancient location. Also, Vandora herself - the Goddess of Lightning - is awesome :)
And somehow it now makes me wish there were female Nali models in the game. Someday, perhaps, this will become a reality!

One of the best maps from the original campaign.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.