A random sentence for a random mind.

11/17/2015 - "Depths of Rrajigar" by Cliff Blezinski

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 11/17/2015 - "Depths of Rrajigar" by Cliff Blezinski

Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015, 09:59

Map Title: Depths of Rrajigar
Author: Cliff Blezinski
Filename: dug.unr
Music Files: digsh.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXhGAWrfZlg

Synopsis: Enter the Skaarj mine part 2!

Discuss!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 11/17/2015 - "Depths of Rrajigar" by Cliff Clezinski

Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015, 10:52

The first time I pressed the gas tanks' levers and heard that sound coming out I thought it was some kind of stadium crowd cheering for me.
ImageImage

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015, 19:07

UBerserker wrote:...I thought it was some kind of stadium crowd cheering for me.

Naah, you can't be that good ;-)

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015, 01:35

Mostly just a follow up to the last map, although it's not especially long in comparison. I guess the carts add an environmental hazard though, and the ASMD secret is pretty cool as a way to get it early. Outside of that I kind of like the big warehouse type area at the end, and yeah the gas tank sound is oddly memorable, the breakable bridge secret is a nice hidden thing too, even if you probably won't find it without help (guess I'll do the playthrough myself later to show it).
Formerly Mman

User avatar Jigoku

Subject: Re: 11/17/2015 - "Depths of Rrajigar" by Cliff Blezinski

Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015, 03:42

I'm surprised nobody noticed my error in the topic title. I fixed it now. I typed "Clezinski" instead of "Blezinski".

Anyway, this map is a nice continuation of the mine. Funny Easter egg translator messages at certain spots.
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015, 19:15

Jigoku wrote:I'm surprised nobody noticed my error in the topic title. I fixed it now. I typed "Clezinski" instead of "Blezinski".

Anyway, this map is a nice continuation of the mine. Funny Easter egg translator messages at certain spots.

LOL, still a small mistake in there: it's Cliff Bleszinski, Bleszinski! :P

Depths of Rrajigar would have been part of Rrajigar Mine if it weren't for memory concerns of the time. Hurray for the carts adding an environmental hazard, as Semfry said (I remember dying at least once due to that segment). I sure would like to see the breakable bridge secret, can't believe I missed that!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Annetteblue
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015, 05:44

Sat42 wrote:
Jigoku wrote:I'm surprised nobody noticed my error in the topic title. I fixed it now. I typed "Clezinski" instead of "Blezinski".

LOL, still a small mistake in there: it's Cliff Bleszinski, Bleszinski! :P

Depths of Rrajigar would have been part of Rrajigar Mine if it weren't for memory concerns of the time. Hurray for the carts adding an environmental hazard, as Semfry said (I remember dying at least once due to that segment). I sure would like to see the breakable bridge secret, can't believe I missed that!

To find the secret of the bridge you must shoot it. Don't now how to show you the picture...

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015, 13:42

Annetteblue wrote:
Sat42 wrote:I sure would like to see the breakable bridge secret, can't believe I missed that!

To find the secret of the bridge you must shoot it. Don't now how to show you the picture...

Found it :wink: it really is a great secret, if you ask me!

Actually, a thought occurs to me: given the absence of a real physics engine in Unreal/UT, destructible environments must be scripted with the use of movers etc., and sometimes we see mappers experiment with this - whether it be for a secret or not. But some efforts have been directed towards making this sort of thing more systematic, to a degree: Xidia: The Escape did this during a particular boss fight, and along the same line of thought, if I'm not mistaken, there was a mapper's project (I can search for it again, if someone's interested) that boasted a particular feature that would allow the player to get rid of any light source (short of the sky/sun of course) by shooting at it. Recently, Shivaxi even made a mutator for this, if I recall correctly.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.