Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

7/27/2015 - "Dead People's Base" by Zora

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 7/27/2015 - "Dead People's Base" by Zora

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015, 03:44

Map Title: Dead People's Base
Author: Zora
Filename: ZM3Signal.unr
Music Files: champion.umx, WST_ALT.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UfrHC-urJs

Synopsis: Puzzles everywhere!

Discuss!
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: Re: 7/27/2015 - "Dead People's Base" by Zora

Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015, 16:25

Guess my old comments apply unless I play it again:

Semfry wrote:I haven't played it in ages so I'm going by the playthrough. The mirror puzzle is interesting, although I imagine it's a lot more awkward to do the first time than it looks there. The settings seem kind of over-scaled throughout (especially that arena) and you're oversupplied for the enemies (although I guess blowing them all away would be kind of fun). The shifting "maze" at the end also looks like kind of a pain too. So I guess it's a standard Zora map in terms of being a series of technically interesting puzzles that may or may not appeal when it comes to actually playing them.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015, 05:13

I referred this level as "quirky" in the review. That kind of suits it. The level has some interesting ideas and they may play out as intended...unless they don't. The mechanics have a tendency to break and they usually will. You can get trapped in some of the puzzles in here too, which is worth noting.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015, 16:43

Well, well, well...

... You have GOT to be kidding me!

The projectile chain puzzle is too much, because yeah the mechanics are too quirky and personally, I found this to be Zora's hardest map. In my experience, The forgotten Cave of the Nali's Crystals (aka "the mine cart map") was very hard but Dead People's Base is insane (extremely hard and yet that's due to the puzzles!). I spent over three and a half hours in there.
I made it in the end (no cheats in-game) but I had to look up the solution on the internet before I was able to successfully implement what it takes to pass that first puzzle - overcoming all the damn difficulties associated to it, and God was I aggravated!
The killing spree which follows is the only redeeming factor, followed by another puzzle that I was able to solve all by myself, at least (though there were some reloads there, too).
Still, the projectile chain puzzle is great, though implementation leaves a lot to be desired (to the point that, as Mister_Prophet said in his review, you'll be second guessing yourself). Just for the massive (and impressive) work that must have gone into designing this puzzle, I'll say this level is quite good. I'll never bother playing it again from start to finish, though!
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Jigoku

Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015, 00:51

I remember doing this map back in October 2013 for MOTW... I should play more maps...
Trying to get back into the swing of things.