Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

25/10/2008 - "The Ghost of Oraghar" by Mr.Prophet

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008, 01:27

It was apparent with 7B that it was only possible to squeeze so much out of an Unreal pawn before every idea was exhausted. The Scarred One essentially was another "big" Skaarj warrior, and there was only so much more we could have done to make it any different than the incarnation that came before it (red nemesis, ect). Probably the best re-use of an old adversary was the Titans, but without new models...

I'm actually surprised how much I was able to fluff the Unreal pawns up. But the lesson learned for RD was that if re-fitting old pawns for casual enemies barely cut it anymore, they sure as heck weren't going to do the job for boss fights. That's why we have a bunch of new pawn models for RD (All the bosses will have new models).

EDIT: If the video is any indication, the SO can certainly hold his own despite comments to the contrary. I don't think I'm convinced that he's any harder or less harder than he was in the 2nd fight.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008, 03:15

The main reason I came close to death is because I had to start fresh; normally I have the guns and ammo (and perhaps armour) to just blow it away. As it is I don't think difficulty is the issue though.

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008, 07:21

Mman wrote:The main reason I came close to death is because I had to start fresh; normally I have the guns and ammo (and perhaps armour) to just blow it away. As it is I don't think difficulty is the issue though.

Considering there are enough resources in the pit to kill the SO comfortably even if you spawn with nothing PLUS the fact Ive seen you perform better with less in many of the videos you made...makes me question this :o

But regardless, I still understand the general concensus on this one. I think that if people are used to fighting Unreal pawns in countless packs over Unreal's ten year reign then they might find this one a bit of a push over. But like I said, it was a lesson learned for RD.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008, 14:33

Mister_Prophet wrote:I don't think I'm convinced that he's any harder or less harder than he was in the 2nd fight.

The second fight is the hardest of the three.
Pretty much a fact since Scarred One takes more advantage of plain environments, due to his superior running speed...

...unless you make him stuck on a single broken tile found in that arena.
ImageImage

Flunders
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008, 14:49

Not everyone is a pew pew unreal player... I thought the last fight was great, actually quite tough but then I'm not an elite player. I'm just average lol

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 00:06

UBerserker wrote:
The second fight is the hardest of the three.
Pretty much a fact since Scarred One takes more advantage of plain environments, due to his superior running speed...

...unless you make him stuck on a single broken tile found in that arena.

You know for a long time I was inclined to agree here automatically, but after careful consideration I have to question this "fact".

The 2nd arena is much larger, giving the player much more room to tango, unlike fight 1 and 3. Also, the 2nd arena has the "four obstructions" layout like the first arena in the Kran, only this time the SO isn't so prone to losing their lead when the player runs around them. Nor does he have the low hit points he does the first time around. The 3rd arena by contrast is smaller and only has one clear "central" obstruction and the subsequent layout blockages are much more benign in their ability to get between you two. I think the only real issue that may come up with arena 2 is that, depending on how the player does in the depot fight....they may not have great stats going in. But the battle itself is merely an extension of the first arena. But considering the player can easily win the fight by running backwards around one of the Piston bases makes me disagree. With the 3rd fight, even I never have a set strategy. The 2nd has a routine that works everytime.

EDIT: Something else that crossed my mind, but in Fight 3 you also have a portion of your inventory knocked out by the EMP shielding from the last map. In Fight 2, you basically have all the guns except for the grenade launcher...which would be pointless here anyway. If memory serves me correctly, on some difficulties the chaingun is available too.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008, 23:35

In the second battle, the player is probably damaged by the previous battles with the bots. That count, because the consequences of the pirate battles really alter the SO battle in some ways.

Second, it's not always simple joking with SO around a pillar. He's still fast and he may avoid your Flak Shells or whatever you're throwing at him. He's always running without taking a break, and you're forced to do so.

Third, unlike the third battle where the Scarred One just stops/jumps suddenly in some parts of the arena, you have to search a strategy for yourself to make him "stuck" in some way = the pillar. Most no-pewpew Unreal players probably don't know that the pillar is useful to confuse SO.
What I'm saying, shortly, is that in the second battle you search for a strategy in order to make the life harder to SO, while in the third battle you just find SO having a hard life with environment, and you do nothing other than running away (somewhere) and shooting at the boss.
This happened in my first run.

So you get more advantages, as well the items you can get during the level's beginning.

Mister_Prophet wrote:EDIT: Something else that crossed my mind, but in Fight 3 you also have a portion of your inventory knocked out by the EMP shielding from the last map. In Fight 2, you basically have all the guns except for the grenade launcher...which would be pointless here anyway. If memory serves me correctly, on some difficulties the chaingun is available too.

The biggest error is using the Plasma Rifle against SO. That weapon was primarily designed to take down bots, so the player should conserve its ammo against pirate bots.
The Shock Rifle isn't any useful against the SO, while it can be versatile against humans as well.

The Chaingun doesn't appear in Unreal difficulty as you know, so this case below is for those who play Easy, Medium and Hard.
The intelligent player will just use 10 to 15 bullets of the Chaingun for the second SO, all the bullets he has against Drago and the remaining in the last battle. But I recommend every damn, big bullet on the Pirate Master. Would be pretty overkill for Scarred One.
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Apr 2008, 00:41

You can finish the 2nd battle quite easily a number of ways, but the best way for the average player is to equip the Flechette Cannon or Quadshot and stay close to the side of the Piston Base while constantly running backwards. The Scarred One will usually keep a close bead on you, but the circular motion will force his projectiles to miss you as long as you keep moving. With the Flechette or Quadshot (or the Plasma Rifle's alternate beam, which you can afford to spend at this point given the nature of the next two maps and the availability of the grenade launcher), using primary bursts aimed downward or shell mortaring will pick him down pretty quickly. If he dodges, you'll get some distance on him as long as you keep up the movement and the farther away he is the easier it is to throw ammo at him. Sometimes the Unreal AI will trip up, and when he walks into the piston base Unreal AI tells him that he has lost his sight on you for a split second, and he'll physically stop and move out from the side of the base to get a fix on you again (this is an easy cheap shot).

There are other ways to be sure, but they all work and you never have to lose a unit of health if done properly (being low on ammo should not be a problem since most of the guns are tough as hell).

With Arena 3 (this map), the fight tends to always be unpredictable. You can count on certain things (taking advantage of his jumps and his ability to step up on the layout) but there's not really a set strategy that works every time. That erratic nature makes the fight more difficult.

Previous