Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

17/03/2008 - "Strange World: Part 2" by DavidM

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 17/03/2008 - "Strange World: Part 2" by DavidM

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 01:13

Map Title: Strange World: Part 2
Author: David "DavidM" Münnich
Filename: strange2.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/8030782

ImageImage

Synopsis: You have entered a Skaarj outpost. As usually in such cases you need to kill everything that'll try to stop you, including Mercenary war party.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2008, 20:33

Most of Strange World bleeds together for me. Ahead of its time in many ways, particularly as regards scripted scenes and the day / night transition, but looking somewhat dated today.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Mar 2008, 00:46

Well, I dare to disagree. Architecture still looks stunning to me, scripted sequences, well, perhaps I've seen better, but still that's not something you saw every day in Unreal. Also, I just love combat in this map - I don't know how DavidM achieved me, but SkaarjGunners really take advantage of jump pads, not something you see in Unreal at all (remember DM-Varidian?). Also, I dare to say lighting is interesting here, and the use of textures (especially in the area shown on the first shot) is simply brillant.
On the down side lack of translator events (well, there are two of them, which suck in both spelling and grammar) ruins good atmosphere of this map and make it nearly meaningless. Also, constant oversupplying player with eightballs and health packs somehow spoils overall gameplay expirience.

But still, among true classics!
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Ultimate Weasel
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Mar 2008, 21:11

I often catch myself still playing Strange World. I can't say this map was my favourite though. It had some nice scripted sequences, but rather mediocre architecture and lighting. Also, the jumppads were completely WTF to me.

By the way, you can walk into the rock that's on the right of the second pic due to a BSP error. :P
Hellscrag wrote:SKAARJ BERSERKER: Come in, Terran, come in! Make yourself at home next to the plasma fire. Care for an urn of mulled Nali blood?

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2008, 17:18

I always found the Skaarj architecture in Strange World different in a good way, it feels quite cosy in comparison to most, which lends it a different atmosphere and makes it stand out.

The gameplay and progression in this level is pretty simple, although the mercenary attack is nice and helps foreshadow the story of the rest of the pack. The jumppads are definitely a bit random, although they are pretty fun, and the way the AI is scripted to use them gives a nice impression of intelligence.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2008, 19:23

Thanks for the vid.. altho you start over halfway or so.. :)
Makes me want to play it again actually.. :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2008, 19:30

Mman wrote:cosy

You may possibly be the first person in the world ever to describe a Skaarj-themed map as "cosy"...! :lol:

SKAARJ BERSERKER: Come in, Terran, come in! Make yourself at home next to the plasma fire. Care for an urn of mulled Nali blood?

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Mar 2008, 19:58

That's exactly what makes it so different ;) . Most Skaarj maps have dark lighting and heavy feeling metal textures and stuff, while this has brighter lighting and makes interesting use of Skycity textures (that somehow works) to portray the theme.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Mar 2008, 00:23

Hellscrag wrote:
Mman wrote:cosy

You may possibly be the first person in the world ever to describe a Skaarj-themed map as "cosy"...! :lol:

SKAARJ BERSERKER: Come in, Terran, come in! Make yourself at home next to the plasma fire. Care for an urn of mulled Nali blood?

lol Hellscrag... :lol: :tup: