Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

13/01/2014 - "New Alcatraz" by Drevlin

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 13/01/2014 - "New Alcatraz" by Drevlin

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014, 12:27

Map Title: New Alcatraz
Author: Tomas 'Drevlin' Lidström
Filename: NewAlc1.unr
Music Files: Fifth.umx, Isotoxin.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7oOhmruv-I

Synopsis: You are a Skaarj who has been captured by a rival faction and thrown in a prison. Time to make your escape!

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: 13/01/2014 - "New Alcatraz" by Drevlin

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014, 18:13

A great map, no doubt. Visuals are great although I have seen greater (such as in the second level of this pack, where the design leaves a more lasting impression IMO), the action is really cool, it can be creepy at times and the story is solidly built. I didn't feel like I was much of a skaarj, though. It's fortunate there is that nice little intro to make things clear at the beginning, and the story construction does go some way to make you play along with the concept, but let's face it, only modding could seriously bring this concept to life. One mistake in attaining suspension of disbelief was to have mirrors in the starting room. "Hello! I'm actually human!"
This said, personally I think that New Alcatraz as a whole constitutes a short mappack that feels big as it "sticks" long after playing it.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014, 01:20

Sat42 wrote:One mistake in attaining suspension of disbelief was to have mirrors in the starting room. "Hello! I'm actually human!"

I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the pre-Oldskool mod this uses to support Single Player; it does a few things to tailor the gameplay, including forcing the right player model, but it's unfortunately not supported on UT with Oldskool installed so you can't get the fully intended experience of the pack (I wonder how hard it would be to make a proper Oldskool version...).

A decent first map, there's a nice mix of tasks and enemies (although I'm not sure if Mercenaries everywhere is explained), I don't find the setting especially inspiring (the later maps do better in that regard), but there's a nice mix of themes despite that. Beyond that it's pretty solid but perhaps lacks any true stand-out moments.
Formerly Mman

User avatar Delacroix

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014, 02:11

Runs well on 227 with the botpack installed. I specifically selected the Skaarj Trooper player class for it and it seems to work. Didn't try if I get stuck anywhere tho.
I am the Unreal archivist and historian. If you have something from the past of Unreal that I don't have, do tell.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014, 03:50

Mman wrote:I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the pre-Oldskool mod this uses to support Single Player; it does a few things to tailor the gameplay, including forcing the right player model, but it's unfortunately not supported on UT with Oldskool installed so you can't get the fully intended experience of the pack (I wonder how hard it would be to make a proper Oldskool version...).

Ooops, my bad! Thanks for the explanation! :P
Well then I take back what I said about suspension of disbelief. At least, clearly you're meant to see yourself as a skaarj in the mirrors (and given how rare that is, it makes sense that they would "advertise" this with mirrors at the player start) I just didn't play it the way it was meant to be played...

Still, in the interest of immersion, it's a shame we don't get a usable Skaarj claw weapon such as the one in Legacy!! :o
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014, 11:16

I remember playing as a skaar hybrid when I did this. Was great
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything