Scout-kun is a lie... right?

11/03/2008 - "Nagomi Passage" by Pancho / Nivlek

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: 11/03/2008 - "Nagomi Passage" by Pancho / Nivlek

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2008, 11:28

Map Title: Nagomi Passage
Author: Pancho / Nivlek
Filename: nagomi.unr

ImageImage

Synopsis: After escaping Spire Valley player enters sacred lands of Nagomi. Find your way inside the Velora temple in this maze-like canyon!

NOTE: This map is pretty similar (don't confuse them!) to Nagomi Passage (dawn) (NagomiSun.unr) discussed previously >>here<<

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2008, 11:40

It certainly looks better than FHub5 (the beta version), and Sacred.umx is "teh win". At the time, I really enjoyed the "hub" sections of this part of RtNP - more, in fact, than the less altered Unreal castoffs such as Velora Temple and Foundry.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Mar 2008, 12:00

Yes, especially the first time I played this map it was some kind of exploration, the map offers a lot of small places of interest, like the mine entrance or the temple and so. Very nice.

BTW: Did Legend have at the time only ONE mapper? I could believe that Nivlek had to do all the work :lol:

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008, 16:16

I really like the non-linearity of this map, you can simply skip most of the map if you're in a hurry, or you can collect various bonus items scattered around the maze. Also, I like the idea of revisiting this hub. On the downside (?) state of this map isn't saved as in Nexus in Legacy, so you can re-pickup items you collected during previous run. Strange. Anyway, very good hub map, much more then The Trench, Noork Elbow or even Harobed Village.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

wael
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008, 16:50

It's the best hub map IMHO, they way all of the maps connected to it are tied together lend it a lot of credibility, it would have been cool if unreal had hub maps it would have much more credible and immersive but i guess they didn't think of that at the time.

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008, 16:54

Probably my favourite hub map from Unreal + RTNP, it's non-linearity made it enjoyable to explore.

User avatar Rarsonic
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008, 17:42

wael wrote:It's the best hub map IMHO, they way all of the maps connected to it are tied together lend it a lot of credibility, it would have been cool if unreal had hub maps it would have much more credible and immersive but i guess they didn't think of that at the time.

Played the beta?

And on this map... can't say anything that has been said yet, or will be said. :lol:

User avatar Creavion

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008, 18:04

Rarsonic wrote:
wael wrote:It's the best hub map IMHO, they way all of the maps connected to it are tied together lend it a lot of credibility, it would have been cool if unreal had hub maps it would have much more credible and immersive but i guess they didn't think of that at the time.

Played the beta?

And on this map... can't say anything that has been said yet, or will be said. :lol:

Didn`t work there. :B

User avatar StalwartUK
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008, 20:02

Great RTNP level. It's amazing how they morphed such a crappy deserty level in the beta into this work of art. The music (Sacred.umx) is really great and goes well with the atmosphere of the level. I never quite liked Journey.umx. Unreal/RTNP should've had more levels like this that showed that Na Pali was more than some linear sequence of levels that didn't matter, something sadly missing in today's games.

I would also rank this as my favourite "Hub" level. Nivlek really put some effort here to spiff up the place.
StalwartUK

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2008, 20:38

Wow, I didn't expect this :P

So, Nagomi Passage. I wonder who thought about the level's name... Legend? Anyway, is pretty cool and Chinese-like. Blame me now.
The map itself is pretty good, but nothing too spectacular in my eyes. The unfinished desert in the beta hit my heart more, probably because I like desert themes of any sort.
Desert or not, Nagomi Passage is still good.

The architecture, as many should know, is made by Pancho. Like the Unreal maps, nothing is wrong here. It's certainly a passage in my eyes, as it connects various locations.
From the beta, Nivlek (I think) changed some stuff. First and foremost, he forgot to modify the entrance's brush to make it less Crypt-themed (there are horns on the upper part). Secondly, he put lots of plants, lamps, rocks and boxes through the map.
Third, he changed the position of the Nexus entrance. The brush is the same, he just moved it near the wall (and the tip found in the opposite side of the door isn't visible anymore).
Fourth, he put a lift in the lake near Foundry, for those who intentionally fall down to kill two Devilfish and getting two Clips.
Fifth, the entire underground corridor connecting this latter pool with the one in the big valley has been deleted. That was cool, but it fits more for a desert theme (deserts hide always something beneath them, IMO :p).
Lastly, there isn't anymore the beta Aztec entrance (now switched to the one which would lead to Nexus). The Aztec's exit is always the same.

The new texture work is excellent. I didn't catch an error here. Desert stuff turned into grass and black rocks while Crypt areas turned into Ancient ones. Already existing Ancient textures are still there... same as Foundry.
Lighting and Sounds are okay.

Sacred.umx is pretty awesome. Good use of this dark tone for a peaceful passage invaded by Skaarj Lords and Brutes. Another one of those true Unreal tracks.

Gameplay is okay. Go there, use the Eightball to kill that Brute. Go there, use the Automag to kill the group of Skaarj Lords here. Too many Skaarj Warriors/Lords in my opinion, and there was really nothing important in this place if you ask me. What they were waiting, a Bot assault coming from the space?
There's no problem with item placement as well... Well the same story as any other Hub map. Good and simple gameplay.
You finally get the Rifle here, and this map features Translator messages, that are rare in RTNP :o

Pretty good hub. But now RTNP become annoying in that part, as you're now running somewhere without a real objective.
The beta version was fun: you were able to go everywhere, even in Foundry!
And no, I don't consider the desert being bad. It was just unfinished, otherwise it would have been better to our eyes. This map has just more personality.
ImageImage

wael
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Mar 2008, 15:26

Rarsonic wrote:Played the beta?

Oh my mistake, i forgot what the beta was like, well they shouldn't have cut those maps.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2008, 07:25

First time through RTNP, I really dug this map (both versions).

Going back to the pack later times though, I sort of altered my perception a bit and kind of feel that while the night/day rework of the location as a Hub is a cool idea...there isn't very much to remember gameplay wise. It's one of those maps that retains a sense of nostalgia for the intent, like NyLeve...but to a lesser degree.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2008, 18:45

Mister_Prophet wrote:I sort of altered my perception a bit and kind of feel that while the night/day rework of the location as a Hub is a cool idea...

And I'll never forget the "Day" Nagomi with sudden Marine Boxes appearance! :P
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2008, 19:55

UBerserker wrote:And I'll never forget the "Day" Nagomi with sudden Marine Boxes appearance! :P

Yes - that is truly leet storytelling!

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 15 Mar 2008, 15:51

UBerserker wrote:And I'll never forget the "Day" Nagomi with sudden Marine Boxes appearance! :P

You mean the boxes dropped by the Prometheus while you were busy underground?

Anyway, I will always have a soft spot for Na Pali night maps--especially spire Valley--so this one is one I like to go through and take my time on when I play RTNP.

Next