Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

3/3/2008 - "Skaarj Laboratory" by Sram

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 3/3/2008 - "Skaarj Laboratory" by Sram

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008, 18:30

Map Title: Skaarj Laboratory
Author: Patrick "Sram" Funk
Filename: nclevel014.unr
Video Playthrough: http://www.dailymotion.com/MMAN2/video/7744076

ImageImage

Synopsis: You find a lab where Nali are being imprisoned and experimented on, time to cause a breakout!
Last edited by Semfry on 05 Mar 2008, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008, 20:20

I never made it this far into the mod to have an opinion.
That said, I love skaarj and skaarj-themed maps, so if everyone else has positive opinions about this map, I might re-download Nali Chronicles and try again >_>

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008, 20:56

Ghost wrote:I never made it this far into the mod to have an opinion.
That said, I love skaarj and skaarj-themed maps, so if everyone else has positive opinions about this map, I might re-download Nali Chronicles and try again >_>

I've tried to complete NC twice, but something always gets in the way. I've never made it this far, either. It didn't help, last time, that I encountered the rabbit bug and he stopped talking.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008, 21:23

Hellscrag wrote:It didn't help, last time, that I encountered the rabbit bug and he stopped talking.

I wonder what causes it.. I've never had that problem...
I always see talking rabbits!.. Seriously I've never had that problem ingame...
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008, 23:43

Does the arena shown on the second picture contain 2 Titans?
That would be only thing I remember about this map. Oh, and I remember I ran out of bullets so I have to use a lot of spells here, and I was out of mana too so I had to use dark magic source, and as I sucked in dark magic it took me years to defeat those titans. But well, Life Drain FTW! \o/
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Mar 2008, 23:15

I gave up on Nali Chronicles when I got to the Skaarj prison and couldn't figure out how to end it--even in ghost mode.

I manually switched to the next level and started playing it with Excessive guns at that point, as I was pretty sick of the spell casting by then anyway. :P From what I remember of this map, it would have been nearly impossible with normal NC guns/spells, and none of the Skaarj levels in NC were good looking.

The fun factor in NC seemingly took a huge nose dive after the crashed terran ship, which is a real shame since a ton of the maps in it were really imaginative and atmospheric.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Mar 2008, 23:55

Waffnuffly wrote:it would have been nearly impossible with normal NC guns/spells

I don't know what you were doing wrong; this is the point in NC where you are pretty much an unstoppable god who can wipe out hordes of Skaarj effortlessly and could probably eat an EXU level for breakfast if there was a mana recharger around (For that matter, I found the Skaarj massacre of the second half far more fun than the bug-hunting first half).

On that note, I was going to god mode the video playthrough as I wasn't even a quarter as strong as you are supposed to be here (also, I have no idea what I was thinking when I set up the spell control scheme, so I was fighting them too as I couldn't be bothered to work out something intuitive), but I realised this is the level where you get the hilariously broken shadow armour spell, which made things easy.

This is a big improvement on the level before this one, that Sram also made, however, it's still one of the weakest maps in NC as far as architecture goes. The gameplay is decent though, and the crate puzzle was actually pretty well conceived by Unreal standards.

Waffnuffly wrote:I gave up on Nali Chronicles when I got to the Skaarj prison and couldn't figure out how to end it--even in ghost mode.

I think this is the level you're talking about; the exit is very badly signposted, and it's easy for a Titan to fall on it and make it even harder to find. The Titans here are an example of the seemingly random placement of them that I mentioned in my review.

Mostly this seems like a lead-in to the next map, which is my favorite map in NC in terms of gameplay.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2008, 03:05

If you were supposed to be an unstoppable god, I guess I just didn't bother using my spells enough. :o Maybe I'll have to replay NC and grind a bit more.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2008, 22:03

I got finally the strength to download NC and make it run on my UT with S3TC. I won't complete it in some days though, because I found it a bit boring.

I'll not discuss about this map as I hardly remember NC's stuff. That's why I'm playing the TC again.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2008, 03:05

Still Haven't played NC.

:shy:

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2008, 03:45

Barely ever started myself....plagued by a strange "no-save" bug that nobody could remedy. Although I must admit...it looks like a good pack...but a bit too busy with the spells and such. I've always been more of a visceral player....just furnish me with firearms..can't be bothered with all the other fluff.
Old as Dirt

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2008, 14:49

zbreaker wrote:Barely ever started myself....plagued by a strange "no-save" bug that nobody could remedy. Although I must admit...it looks like a good pack...but a bit too busy with the spells and such. I've always been more of a visceral player....just furnish me with firearms..can't be bothered with all the other fluff.

:lol: :tup: Yep.. it's too much magic stuff. By the time you find your "spell", you're already dead.

I've played it though.. and this map is a nice one. It's pretty basic in archi, but the gameplay is pretty good IMHO.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Mar 2008, 16:33

Darkon wrote: :lol: :tup: Yep.. it's too much magic stuff. By the time you find your "spell", you're already dead.

And by the time you find it and use it, the enemies are going to die in seconds.

NC reminds me of BioShock. Though I enjoyed NC an infinite amount of time more than BS :D
ImageImage