ividyon will never get this done, will he.

04/02/2008 - "Temple of Pain" by Jago

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2008, 19:25

I found all the dnspu/darkside mappack very consistent in design, meaning that there was almost no single improvement over time, seen one of them you essentially know what to expect from the rest of them...
While geometry was decent in these maps, i found the lighting to be abysmal, every map had its own color and that was often red/yellow, oh my :o

despite its flaws and apparant age, i can forgive this mappack for all of that, i still think this is a very memorable mappack, probably sentimental issues here ;)

User avatar zbreaker
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008, 03:44

What Turbo said. The map (and total pack) lacked much with regards
to modern standards of level design and especially the sub-category of lighting. However, it remains an old time Unreal favorite of mine, given its place in time.
Old as Dirt

XYZ8000
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 10 Feb 2008, 23:18

Just digged the DNSPU "pack" from somewhere, I played them all and I realized that I wouldn't have lost anything important if I didn't play them.
About this map, there's not something really interesting... just a random bunch of corridors filled with a random bunch of monsters and a random bunch of items.
I opened it with the console without specifiying a difficulty (DNSPU1's end teleporter sent me to NaliC flyby, like every other map in the pack except the last 3 :|) and I found it literally covered with health, afer killing a monster there were always several Health Packs scattered around and the fact that you fought only one monster at once almost always didn't contribute to the difficulty of the pack... playing through this map I didn't go under 60 health once (although I risked a bit when I retreated in the dead-end when in the double Skaarj Lord fight), and through the whole pack the only fights I barely risked dying were the Skaarj Sniper graciously put on a pillar above a door in the Skaarj map and the Titan fight (not really clever boss fight design, anyway... a Titan in a corridor???). I didn't particularily enjoy this map, but it wasn't terrible either... I prefer the last 3 maps of the pack though.

Previous