Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

07/11/2011 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: 07/11/2011 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011, 19:32

Map Title: Sacred Passage
Author: Juan Pancho Eekels
Filename: Passage.unr
Music Files: Dusk.umx

Video Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5EuSSc9FiI

Synopsis: Prisoner 849 crosses a small valley found between the Rrajigar Mine and the temple of Chizra.

Discuss!
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: 07/11/2011 - "Sacred Passage" by Juan Pancho Eekels

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011, 19:36

Decorations (mostly plants, palms, candles, etc...) are not unlit in the shots. Funny how they are originally throughout the whole game.
ImageImage

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011, 21:54

Is it bad to admit that I didn't find that lever to open the front gate until, like, LAST YEAR? Maybe a little earlier.

User avatar Jigoku
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011, 23:17

Lmao, you can't be serious Waff. I've only started playing Unreal again back in 2009, this time going thru the maps.
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011, 23:34

I thought this was a good transitional level, and it introduced the temple theme nicely. I missed the mini-temple when I first played it; I didn't think there was anything behind the rock.

Waffnuffly wrote:Is it bad to admit that I didn't find that lever to open the front gate until, like, LAST YEAR? Maybe a little earlier.

That's not so bad, really. There isn't much of a point to it anyways if you're already at the pool area.

On an unrelated note I recently discovered how to properly kill the Stone Titan on Velora Pass with the bridge (I never thought the button on the throne actually did anything, so I would just cheat to get to the other side of the lava and pull the lever). 8)

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011, 01:43

One of favorite parts of Unreal is getting to this level...just because it introduces the temple theme that I love. Like the atmosphere in this one too. The first map of Fifth Vortex is similar to this but bigger.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011, 02:31

I remember being blown away by the water pool effect the first time I saw it. Especially when the water rose and suddenly I was wading in it. Was the coolest thing with water I saw in a game until I played Undying, with that one pool surface that floated up in the air in a giant bubble.

I think I just like looking at water effects in games.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011, 11:36

This definitely serves as a good transition map. Waff, I also didn't find that lever to open the front gate for a long time, although it was sooner than last year. :D It also took me a long time to discover the secret in the small temple.

Mister_Prophet wrote:Was the coolest thing with water I saw in a game until I played Undying, with that one pool surface that floated up in the air in a giant bubble.

You know, I really liked the beginning part of Undying, but found the later parts of the game to be repetitive. In fact, I never did get myself to finish the very last level, because I was just too bored. The game had great level design and some wonderful game play ideas, but was let down by the lack of variety. You seem to fight the same monsters throughout the entire game, and the AI isn't that great. I did really like the creepy visions, however.

Whoops, didn't mean to turn this post into a review of Undying. :P
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011, 13:18

This is one of my favorite transition maps. I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011, 14:12

While short and simple in itself, it's position in the progression works perfectly; it provides some more outdoor action to mix things up after the mines, and it introduces Nali design for the first time (the hut in Nyleve aside). Swimming in through the lake gives a nice feeling of finding your own path, and the open-air temple entrance design is quite interesting in general.

Waffnuffly wrote:Is it bad to admit that I didn't find that lever to open the front gate until, like, LAST YEAR? Maybe a little earlier.

I don't know when I found it, but I definitely don't recall finding it the first time I played. I think it was when I was playing co-op or something and noticed that the gate had somehow been opened.
Formerly Mman

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011, 15:21

Mman wrote:...I don't know when I found it, but I definitely don't recall finding it the first time I played. I think it was when I was playing co-op or something and noticed that the gate had somehow been opened.

Amost the same here. In fact I still don't know where that lever is (no need to tell me, I'll find it now that I know there is one there).

Z-enzyme
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011, 21:06

Most maps here I don't remember or I didn't play. This one though I do remember and, what's funny, I've played it.
I liked it very much, great transition to temple theme and the atmosphere was really nice as well. (I didn't say anything new here)

I remember I got killed the first time I played it by the devilfish. Well, my first Unreal playthrough was rather painful really back in 99. I died many times. I think the only level I didn't die in was Vortex Rikers... And I didn't finish it. I stopped on the Skaarj Mothership, I guess. Bah.

User avatar Anreel
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011, 10:34

Was I the only one who couldn't find that tunnel in pool for a bit? But to my defense I had only played one FPS before Unreal in 1998 - Shadow Warrior, although Shadow Warrior had quite a lot of underwater stuff hehe

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011, 15:53

Anreel wrote:Was I the only one who couldn't find that tunnel in pool for a bit? But to my defense I had only played one FPS before Unreal in 1998 - Shadow Warrior, although Shadow Warrior had quite a lot of underwater stuff hehe

From what I remember, that kind of 'underwater' was different... :P

As for finding the tunnel.. yeah, I'll have to raise my hand on that one as well. I found that out after I read the playthrough here on unrealsp.org. I NEVER could find my way in.. I always tried to get on top of that big rock and then jump somehow.. Never worked, so I always ghosted through the wall, just to get into it...
For a transition map I really loved the build of the temple. Pretty plain, nothing that fancy, but it just looked right. Water thingy (that Proph described) was also a jaw dropper for me: I don't think I've ever looked like that while getting my feet wet.... (from the rising water of course)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011, 18:55

Biterfish stopped me right here for a while.
ImageImage

Next