Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

03/09/2011 - "Gothic Resurrection" by Doublez-Down

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Re: 03/09/2011 - "Gothic Resurrection" by Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011, 12:51

I don't think the ASMD Trooper is the problem. The chapel room is ideal for a 1 on 1 - playing hide and seek. My problem is the second Skaarj in it - but who has to be there because of the scripted sequence at the beginning.

When I played Gothic Resurrection for the first time, I found the chapel before getting to the room with the armor. And when entering the chapel I orientated to the left (I always orienate to the left) and come across the second Skaarj. My bad! The ASMD Trooper joined the fight and I had a big problem (even in [M]).

Doublez-Down
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011, 15:04

While I don't think he's horribly difficult, something else would have just been a better choice (or just giving him a non-hitscan weapon). I also don't play on Unreal difficulty very often. I wanted that first skaarj from the opening sequence to run in there and start patroling where the asmd skaarj is, but I couldn't get it to work properly.

I also made some bad choices with doors (basically mentioned above) in this one, but lesson learned. When in doubt, just make doors stay open! Still wanting someone to post a vid!
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011, 12:11

As far as I remember it was possible to see a Skaarj from within the previous room and kill it from far before entering - the commotion activated the ASMD trooper giving the player the opportunity to stay clear from him (but, it's vague memory and I'll have to replay this when I return in 3 weeks).
I also remember entering the room and being able to kill the Skaarj without activating the ASMD guy, thereby setting up a 1 on 1 fight (which considering the pillars = cover, was more than fair, but still not easy).

I know I'm hammering this part a bit too much, but I'm getting the impression that this one situation is causing slightly too much negative criticism which the map doesn't deserve (IMHO).

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011, 14:06

salsaSkaarj wrote:As far as I remember it was possible to see a Skaarj from within the previous room

You really need sharp eyes to see the ASMD trooper behind the pillar.

Now I have tested this situation several times and I have to take back some things I said. If you stay near the door, the Skaarj warrior won't notice you and you have enough space to fight against the ASMD trooper. And you can also enter the room from above (nice connection btw). Then you will fall down near the bars and you can use the switch to leave the room in a tough situation. The trooper is a cake when you are on the other side of the bars (though you have to hurry to get the ASMD).

Perhaps it would have been nicer to let the door stay open or the Skaarj working in a team (they don't alert each other and can't see through the glasses), but I think it doesn't really affect gameplay awe.

BTW I couldn't even remember the second ASMD trooper.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011, 15:24

The problem with ASMD troopers and similar is that, if you don't annihilate them right away (and you can't do that to the first one in this level) then your survival almost entirely depends on luck, especially as there's very little health or armour before the encounter here.

The theme is original and does a great job making the Gothic textures into an SP style, and stuff like the Gargoyles high in the main room are nice too (although them being flat when you get close looks a little odd). There's also a nice interlinking layout that allows for some exploration and various views of areas earlier/later. The gameplay can be pretty challenging on the higher settings, but is fair outside of that ASMD Skaarj, although some of the enemy buffs seem a little random.
Formerly Mman

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011, 15:31

When you fight an ASMD Skaarj after he spotted you AND in the middle of the battlefield:

1)Stand still and don't bother dodging
2)Use a hitscan weapon
3)All you have to do is aiming and hit the hitscan-equipped target before he heavily damages you
4)Lucky profit
ImageImage

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011, 17:34

You forgot to mention where to stand still: behind an obstacle, so that the Tazerprojectiles don't hit you or even hurt your opponent. And why to rely on luck, when you can rely on bugs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rx-1KZJDkk
Last edited by integration on 09 Sep 2011, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011, 17:35

READ
In the middle of the battlefield- AKA when it's too late to escape anywhere. Not specific to this map.
of course, you're free to dodge tazer projectiles if you're lucky enough that the enemies will use them.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011, 19:56

Mman wrote:The problem with ASMD troopers and similar is that, if you don't annihilate them right away (and you can't do that to the first one in this level) then your survival almost entirely depends on luck, especially as there's very little health or armour before the encounter here.

Gear turns the tide, especially if you provide custuom inventory. That's how I always made up for them anyway.

I do not think of this one as particularly difficult or even combat heavy at all, so for me the ASMD trooper actually provided some heightened tension. For the mainstay of my opinion, I defer others to my review.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011, 11:32

The trooper is annoying, but makes for unique gameplay. I always try to sneak up through the church get really close and blow him away.

Great little map imo
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

Previous