UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

06/06/2011 - " The Old Mining..." by Sinistral

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject: 06/06/2011 - " The Old Mining..." by Sinistral

Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011, 15:55

Map Title: The Old Mining Colony V1.2
Author: Sinistral
Filename: sinistral_level3.unr

Screenshots Lost

Video Playthrough:

Sypnosis: You enter a Skaarj infested mining complex

Discuss!
Formerly Mman

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject: Re: 06/06/2011 - "The Old Mining..." by Sinistral

Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011, 03:17

*shock* *horror*
A significant map pack which I haven't played? Zounds!
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar Sinistral
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011, 22:43

One of mine!

Anyway, if anyone decides to play this with the newly released g/h clients it would seem they broke/messed up a few things in forgotten. I haven't had a chance to test the final version the new H client yet, hopefully the issues were fixed with the release of H.

This map is pretty linear and there always were a few issues with the rain/lightening. (For some reason the timed triggers don’t work at all on MP but work fine in SP) This was actually the first level of Forgotten I made. The ending/outdoor section towards the end of the map were all added on pretty late as I thought the level was too short. The outdoors part is actually my favourite part of the map; I think I achieved the sense of scale I was looking for.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011, 18:05

funny... I don't remember that last shot....
Played it a year ago or so. Back then I had the sheets of snow (not in this level?... is it rain?.. don't remember).... don't remember much of it for some reason, except for the 2nd pic. The area where you had some rain coming in and lightning going on...
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011, 11:39

Darkon wrote:funny... I don't remember that last shot....
Played it a year ago or so. Back then I had the sheets of snow (not in this level?... is it rain?.. don't remember).... don't remember much of it for some reason, except for the 2nd pic. The area where you had some rain coming in and lightning going on...

The last screenshot is a long rockbridge guarded by Gasbags. At the end there are a couple of crates (one of which harbours a Skaarj IIRC). Also when you reach the end of that brdige, a ship will drop some Skaarj for added fun.

I thought this one one of the best maps or Forgotten, with a lot of variation, lot's of secret things and a number of surprises (I just gave one away above :wink: ). A pack well worth playing (although the last map doesn't do it for me).

User avatar Sinistral

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011, 22:12

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011, 00:56

Video added to OP.

A really nice second map, and maybe the most "unreal" in design and atmosphere; outside of the advanced effects (like rain) and the use of the item to activate the lift it could almost be a lost level from Unreal 1 itself (in a good way). I really like the room in the second shot in particular; between the multiple (asymmetrical) levels, the view blocking as a result of that, and the contrast between the rain and lava it feels like its got a lot more depth and than it actually does, which is another thing that Unreal itself did quite a lot. The Giant Gasbag on the large bridge at the end feels a bit spurious, but I guess it's not your fault it's a sucky boss :) .
Formerly Mman

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011, 18:29

Nice. Strangely I could remember everything except the most memorable things: the Skaarj Berserker coming out of the box, the Skaarj Warrior shooting at the electrical box when being alarmed ... and the rain. Was the rain added in a later version? What are the jump boots good for?

And one thing: When the Skaarjs are sitting (shielded or waiting), you have to aim over their head for a headshot (when they are shielded, damage is devided by 5).

User avatar Sinistral

Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011, 22:53

Nice. Strangely I could remember everything except the most memorable things: the Skaarj Berserker coming out of the box, the Skaarj Warrior shooting at the electrical box when being alarmed ... and the rain. Was the rain added in a later version? What are the jump boots good for?

Nope, the rain has always been present in this level, the lightening looks much better in this version than it did in v1.0 though. The Jumpboots will get you loads of rifle ammo if you use them in the "main" room, jump onto the cages and from there onto the platform above, there is a small vent which links up with the vent where you find the shieldbelt.

It's a little redundant to be honest, as there is already loads of rifle ammo available on this level, perhaps too much.

That video was done in default difficulty, there are a few more enemies present in harder levels.

User avatar BuddhaMaster

Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011, 03:16

Don't know this unofficial map or at least no memory.

But the rain effects looks like using some HUD texture, and it looks great ;)