Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

04/11/2011 - "Subtle Planning" by Jazzyb

Each week a single map is discussed here in detail.

Moderators: Semfry, Sat42, Jigoku, UB_

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: 04/11/2011 - "Subtle Planning" by Jazzyb

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011, 01:59

Mman wrote:While this still has great visuals and some nice gameplay, it's probably one of the least memorable maps in Xenome for me; there's almost none of the really massive tech-filled rooms from the other levels or set-pieces (although being a bit more subdued does mix up the pacing a little). Plus thematically it's somewhat of a transitional level between the earlier base environments and the outright decay of the next level, so it doesn't stick out so much there either. Plus the lack of landmarks makes it a bit maze-like and quite easy to have trouble finding the way.

While I can understand your perspective completely, I'd argue that the "maze" feeling in this level is something that generally lacks in Xenome or is done differently in most cases. This level starts out in a somewhat linear fashion and then gradually becomes more and more complicated as the level progresses. I'm a HUGE fan of this type of level design which is probably why I'm such a fan of stock levels like Bluff. This must be the only map in Xenome that is done this way. It's been months since i've actually played the full Xenome campaign so I could be wrong about that, but still, I remember when I first beat Xenome, this level is the one that made me say, "damn, he does know what he's doing." As for being memorable, I'm not so sure how memorable this map actually is compared to the others.

I guess I don't really play for memorability as I find games which are too memorable become boring the second time around. This is probably why I still love games like Doom and Marathon.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011, 02:10

jackrabbit wrote:I guess I don't really play for memorability as I find games which are too memorable become boring the second time around. This is probably why I still love games like Doom and Marathon.

That is the most classic opinion on gaming I have ever heard :lol: I'll try and get into that mindset
ImageIgnorance is knowing anything
And only idiots know everything

User avatar jackrabbit

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011, 02:22

TheIronKnuckle wrote:
jackrabbit wrote:I guess I don't really play for memorability as I find games which are too memorable become boring the second time around. This is probably why I still love games like Doom and Marathon.

That is the most classic opinion on gaming I have ever heard :lol: I'll try and get into that mindset

LOL, well don't take that TOO literally TIK. It's not like I come across some awesome High Tech fancy area and just ignore it because it looks good and is memorable. It just not that important to me in video games. Sure, I can recognize the artistic value of things that look nice, but that isn't the reason I play games. If I wanted to look at art, I'd go to to a art gallery (or a show).

The fact is, I consider alot of older levels in Unreal better in quality than some more recent simply because I like the way the author did the level's layout. And if there is a pack (such as Xenome) that has levels which I find artistically better, I don't put them any higher on the list than others. That's just how I am.

A great example (and one of the best imo) of this sort of logic can be applied by me for Seven Bullets. You remember that level in Seven Bullets which has the huge bridge and beautiful outside view of the map? This map is probably my least favorite from the pack.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011, 02:46

jackrabbit wrote:While I can understand your perspective completely, I'd argue that the "maze" feeling in this level is something that generally lacks in Xenome or is done differently in most cases. This level starts out in a somewhat linear fashion and then gradually becomes more and more complicated as the level progresses. I'm a HUGE fan of this type of level design which is probably why I'm such a fan of stock levels like Bluff. This must be the only map in Xenome that is done this way. It's been months since i've actually played the full Xenome campaign so I could be wrong about that, but still, I remember when I first beat Xenome, this level is the one that made me say, "damn, he does know what he's doing." As for being memorable, I'm not so sure how memorable this map actually is compared to the others.

I guess I don't really play for memorability as I find games which are too memorable become boring the second time around. This is probably why I still love games like Doom and Marathon.

That's easily one of my favourite types of layout too (maybe even the favourite), but I think it only really comes into its own when there's a decent variety of landmarks and similar to make that complexity rewarding, which I didn't get so much from this one.

Doom and Marathon might seem maze-like, which a guess could be classed "non-memorable" but they are (generally) full of landmarks and unique areas that did as much as they could with the engine/tech limitations of the time, so, if anything, they're the opposite of non-memorable (let alone for their time of release). That reminds me that I played the Marathon series for the first time a couple of years ago and can recall much more specific moments of their level design than *insert 90% of modern/semi-modern FPS games here*.
Formerly Mman

User avatar jackrabbit

Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011, 03:46

That reminds me that I played the Marathon series for the first time a couple of years ago and can recall much more specific moments of their level design than *insert 90% of modern/semi-modern FPS games here*.

That's the damn truth too.

Previous