This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Recruiting All Savages!

For public discussion of "Savage Land" and other Red Nemesis projects.

Moderator: Mister_Prophet

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Recruiting All Savages!

Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021, 18:38

Savage Land now looking for open Recruitment

The Scoop

As the reactions to the initial demo begin to cool and I find myself back in the thick of managing time for this renewed hobby of mine, I am officially looking for some local talent (or perhaps those creative lurkers out there) who are interested in helping me get this thing done in a timely fashion. I've already had exceptional help from new members to the Red Nemesis family like Alcapowned, Jet4.3.5. as well as some project talent exchanges with some other creative folks still "in it" for Unreal. Steadz, from the Resurgence team, has offered to help with some music (currently testing the two demo levels for possible new songs) as well as zYnthetic himself, who is helping to reconvert some old RD and BFNP tracks back into good old .umx.

Full disclosure: development on Savage Land is on a reactionary basis. It is not a feature focused campaign. Every NEW thing we do will be done because an element to a level requires it or because an intended gameplay mechanic demands compensating factors. We are going to continue to maintain compatibility to Unreal/Unreal Gold 227i and UT 436, and similar versions. For instance, anything made has to adhere to the basics and not the cutting edge sort of thing that exclude the package from working on certain platforms.

I'll break it down into sections for the things we may need a little assistance with...

Models and Skins

While I would never turn away animators, in a weird twist of fate the big issue Residual Decay had nearly fifteen years ago is reversed. We have a very competent animator, Al, who has done wonders with exporting models and adding animation frames to them. In fact, major things like new weapons and new enemy animations are already more or less covered.

What is needed are new models for certain things. As mentioned in the Dev Diary thread, we have a couple elements planned in need of static models. Things like...

-New Armor pickups
-New "repair" pickups for Armors and Suits
-Any new Pickup Requests we may need based on gameplay changes
-Various Decoration Requests

In terms of skins, it would be a bonus if any modeler who would like to work with us could also handle their own skins, or at least provide the templates for someone else to take a crack at it.

On Skins, we do plan to have several new subclasses for most all the Unreal pawns. We also intend to make a player skin for Patient 3, who will be the protagonist of the campaign. Lastly, we may request help from any skinners willing to help "clean up" any issues with existing models (Using the Demo for reference, any placeholder skins used for alternate ammo types and pickups).

Our typical rule is 516*516 at a MAXIMUM resolution.

Mapping

To be quite honest, we have a good amount of maps. But we could always be better. If the Descent hasn't exhausted some of you in terms of creative spurts and you want to try a classic styled Unreal map, please make a reply!

Some things about those interested in mapping with us:

-Again, compatibility. Up until October 2020, the two levels in the Savage Land Demo were about as Vanilla as they could be. It was only with the crunch to add some new material for the masses that the extra content was incorporated in time for the February release. You are welcome to use Ed 2.0 or 2.1 to your hearts content so long as features used are universal. For instance, I would advise trying to make a vanilla level, a good vanilla level, and we can always add our custom package stuff to it later. This has worked well for the project so far. So classic Unreal stuff only. Not botpack, no static meshes, no UT or 227 specific content placed in level.

-We currently do NOT need the current themes

1. Mercenary levels.
2. Human Starship levels.
3. Skaarj base/ship levels.
4. No need for High Tech levels of any kind.
5. Skaarj Mines. Already got one.

-Things we ARE looking for

1. Outdoor levels
2. Ruins or Temples
3. Towns.
4. Medieval styled Outposts or Strongholds
5. Krall and Brute friendly/themed Levels
6. Castles.
7. Nali Centric locations.

I would also be okay with looking at anyone's proposal for a Sky themed level or a water level, depending on where it could be placed in the lineup since those sorts require some pre and post map planning. ALL levels will get a provided Skybox and possible a fixed room and spot to begin/end if it is necessary. You are also free to conjure up your own in game messages of course so long as you are okay with me doing any edits later, if it is necessary.

-UPDATE-

Interested parties that have contacted me already:

-Jackrabbit - Models, possible code
-Sat42 - Mapping
-Turboman - Mapping and Skins
-Fashahhh - Mapping
-AHaigh01 - Texturing
-Steadz - Mapping and Music

jackrabbit130
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Re: Recruiting All Savages!

Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021, 20:13

As a recent graduate of a 3d arts program, I'm more than happy to add a helping hand during these tough times. Perhaps something to add to my portfolio. I'm not much for mapping but getting textured static meshes from Blender to Unreal Gold is something I can handle. What do you need Prophet?

Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021, 21:20

Hey Jackrabbit! As mentioned we have a couple of placeholder items without true models/meshes for some of the armor/suit related pickups. Give me some time to compile a private message when I get home later and I'll tell you all about it!

jackrabbit130
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021, 22:12

Sounds good. A nice set of armor would be a good starting point to get my hands wet. Also, if the team needs any assistance with state code regarding AI experiments or altering stock AI state code for stock pawns in Unreal Gold, count me is as well.

Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021, 21:23

Updated the thread to reflect some of the contacts I've received already. Thanks so far to everyone that reached out!

jackrabbit130
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021, 05:56

It's nice to see people in the Unreal community coming together for this project. I'm super psyched to actually contribute to my most anticipated game mod. Yeah it sucks to see Residual Decay put on hold, but honestly I might trade it for this because of sheer compatibility and working on the back of an awesome demo.

Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021, 15:01

For my part, I'm gonna try to keep the momentum going for as long as I have it. The nature of this one is just more flexible too, which helps. I've even been happy to share talent and testing with people like Turboman on his project The One and the Resurgence Team. Maybe it is just one of the few positive side effects of Covid. But being on the inside of these other projects, things look pretty active from my perspective.