This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[OLD] Website Updates

For public discussion of "Savage Land" and other Red Nemesis projects.

Moderator: Mister_Prophet

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009, 23:52

While I think I've gone to explain some things about the design better in the screenshot thread, I'll answer some here.

sana wrote:I must say that I find it hard to respond positively to that one. With the unimaginative concept (Brute with evil red triangle eyes on sphere head?), weird physical traits (The feet approaching pancake status) and the skin feeling like a flat mix of base textures with very little emphasis on the actual form of the creature, it seems like less of an intimidating Brute upgrade than something that would fit with Legacy's quirky visual design.

I'm not exactly one to criticize it as a non-model artist, and it is the gameplay and shaded in-game appearance that will form my final opinion, but.. what is shown simply is not consistent with Red Nemesis' high-profile mapping style and the production values we've seen so far. If you like, I could try providing criticism that is more constructive with the tiny bit of texturing experience that I have, since an overhauled skin would greatly improve the overall appearance of the creature, but I believe the creator might want to look into the model aspect and try to polish that first.

While I appreciate criticism (we've been starved for it by you sycophants for the last few years ;) ), I have to mirror something said in the other thread...that I have to question some of the sentiments of the old brute. The old brute, by design, was fairly unimaginative and was, from a technical standpoint, one of the least quality models in the original game (although much of that has to do with its animating, as compared to the Skaarj Warrior, another relic left over from Unreal early dev history). As for the skins, well, I do appreciate that you've been the only poster thus far to really tackle this for us. To be honest we've been on the fence for how to paint it for the public release, and much like Unreal's Big Man we're probably gonna end up with different schemes by the time we release. The original RD Big man was fully gray;

The proportions on the Alpha are the same as the one in the release shot, only the skin tone is different and there are no guns added. Maybe the release shot didn't show the detail as close because we wanted to put him in poses, but here you can see the details on the hide a little better. Do you still find this comparing to something found in Legacy? (welcome criticism or not, I think you should replay Legacy to see model/skin quality compared to this...even if it's true that we have more work to do).

Darkon wrote:I just looked at my avatar again, which is the old 'big man' I think.. it has funny boots too.. and red eyes.... so.. maybe you should disregard my post.

I think everyone should maybe compare this to the pics of the brutes on USP's creature page and really get a side-by-side comparative look at what we've done.

UB wrote:How about a mask anyway?

This is essentially our equivalent to the Lesser Brute, so higher-up versions will have the mask and other changes.

redeye
Banned Banned

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Oct 2009, 07:10

Trash the boots and give the thing some spikes, otherwise it looks pretty dang good to me.
I like the darker look, it just needs to look meaner, mabye some warts or growths sticking out, ugly and mean.
Just ban everyone

User avatar jackrabbit
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 01:35

redeye wrote:Trash the boots and give the thing some spikes, otherwise it looks pretty dang good to me.
I like the darker look, it just needs to look meaner, mabye some warts or growths sticking out, ugly and mean.

I think this is the first criticism I actually agree with! The uglier the better. The boots did make me laugh the first time I saw them, but I still think they are cool the way they are.... (you could make them point up like elf boots though :o )

I want to make it clear that when I initially posted "Yeah, that thing rox hardcore ub3r 1337" I was not attempting to sound like some sycophant for Residual Decay. I was honestly that excited to see a new enemy model complete for UTSP. Lets be honest..........when was the last time we saw something of this caliber?

I totally disagree with some of the criticisms given to this new enemy and I think its completely unfair.

sana wrote: With the unimaginative concept (Brute with evil red triangle eyes on sphere head?), weird physical traits (The feet approaching pancake status) and the skin feeling like a flat mix of base textures with very little emphasis on the actual form of the creature, it seems like less of an intimidating Brute upgrade than something that would fit with Legacy's quirky visual design.

^ maybe it was meant to look ugly like this?

Darkon wrote:wow.. good to see some negative feedback here

^ so what? Every positive criticism up to now has been a lie?

Waffnuffly wrote:Ugh, not liking this at all. Does not look even remotely brute-like to me. it looks more like some weird football player with a dome helmet and oversized pistols. And what's with the shoes? And SHOULDER PADS?

^most football players are pretty intimidating... don't you think?

That's the kind of stuff that just makes you want to quit.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 20:40

I like the idea of Brutes of different fitness and issue. Grunts guard the rusting and corroding doors near the pothole where every base's green shit is sent to, usually near the back of a facility. You fight these guys just like you would before, but once your presence has been noted, they send the real bastards out to get you, and that's when you get what we have here, a number of heavily armed badass brutes that can both pummel you and splatter your gibs about the place with a nice little grenade or rocket. In most cases, this is a comfortable way of making the player shit their pants when a big, agile, ugly brute charges at you trying to tear you into either shreds or chunks.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 21:59

jackrabbit wrote:That's the kind of stuff that just makes you want to quit.

If comments like those make you want to quit, you have the thinnest skin on earth and shouldn't be doing something that invites criticism in the first place.

As someone who is getting into 3D modeling myself, honest, direct criticism is what I thrive on most. Sometimes it's harsh, and sometimes I don't agree with it, but if it's legitimate and meant to point out things that I wouldn't have seen myself and not just to insult my abilities, that's just what I want, because I can't put myself in someone else's shoes as easily as someone can just tell me what they think. There's a difference between what sana and I said and simply saying "this model sucks, you suck, don't keep modeling" (which is not even close to what either of us intended to express).

[Edit] That and my criticisms have already been addressed here: http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopi ... &start=195

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 22:32

Where's that mega-rolleyes image when you need it...
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009, 22:37

sana wrote:Where's that mega-rolleyes image when you need it...

I would post it for you, but I don't think a rolleyes is what's needed at this juncture...
Life is what you make of it.

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009, 13:02

Another Update posted

This one is a minor one. Just some information about some site cleaning, including new "About" reading material for each project that might be interesting to read for some of you, as well as some news tidbits about recent fanfiction happenings and some info about Dead Cell.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009, 23:44

I've opened small dev-blog that contain some spoilers about RD features (and in future also TCO). It's more of test of my small blog system integrated into CMS I wrote some time ago. It will not cover all the details about RD but someone maybe will find that info useful :).
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

Subject:

Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009, 20:23

Holiday Update

I wanted to say that Dead Cell was out, but instead there is a new Dead Cell poll, a new website section, and information about Residual Decay, Dead Cell, and 227. Check the latest news to read about some cross-platforming happenings.

User avatar gp
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009, 23:57

Here's to a great 2010 for Red Nemesis. :tup:

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010, 21:45

Right back at you :tup:

User avatar NaliSlayer
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010, 15:47

and a :tup: from me too for Red Nemesis,tho i hate waiting for something to release,i preffer to wait instead of getting nothing at all :tup: go Red Nemesis Go :tup:

Subject: Re: Website Updates

Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010, 11:41

Huge Info Dump of an Update!

Check the link in my sig for all the latest news post and pick a selection on the poll.

User avatar Lightning Hunter

Subject: Re: Website Updates

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010, 06:28

Sounds good, but is it humanly possible to get all these projects completed? Years ago, I remember starting big projects for every game that I loved. Some of them included Total Annihilation (huge mission pack with new units), Doom 2 (32-level megawad), Unreal Tournament (UT Classic Packs), Quake (a mega bot pack with waypoints for 400 maps), Duke3d (a huge deathmatch pack), and more I'm probably forgetting. Of all these projects, only a few ever got finished and released. It was just too hard to keep up momentum on ALL these projects. The 32 levels for Doom have been in progress for 10 years now. I've just stopped promoting the project, because it was merely getting peoples hopes up.

It seems to me that you are doing most of the work here, Prophet. Can you keep up the momentum on all these projects?
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Previous Next