Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[Locked for Posterity] Residual Decay Development

For public discussion of "Savage Land" and other Red Nemesis projects.

Moderator: Mister_Prophet

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: Residual Decay Development

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010, 05:16

Waffnuffly wrote:With that said, I'm curious about how you're doing the sound, Proph. Do you have a library you're sampling/mixing from or do you actually have someone recording stuff in the real world? Or are you just trying to find some known-good samples to use from some other source?

Zyn does most of his stuff from scratch I believe. One needs to look no farther than Killing Floor to see where he's at when it comes to audio.

Waffnuffly wrote:At the end of the day, for a free mod which isn't even setting out to be a realism mod (RD may have more realistic features than Unreal, but it's not like some kind of WWII sim or something), I don't care if the guns sound accurate or not as long as they sound cool. :)

My sentiments exactly, but when it comes to certain guns...like, say, bullet-based stuff, I am very influenced on how they should sound in terms of realism. Games like F.E.A.R. made an impression on me. It's more than just sounding realistic...but that they sound strong. That they have a presence, and sound is a big part of that.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010, 05:24

Oh right, Zynthetic, of course! Definitely should be pretty awesome sound and music in DC/RD then. :)

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010, 13:50

I don't care if the guns sound accurate or not as long as they sound cool. :)

But thats the point! Fuck realism, its just that that most games don't have powerful weapon sounds, ifs its a bullet based gun there is an explosion happening only a few centimeters away from your face. I am so tired of the generic ''Bang'' sound in games, but maybe its just me.
You pick up a weapon which is almost as tall and heavy as you, the ammo is as big as your arm, you pull the trigger, giant muzzle flash, your enemy gets ripped to shreds and then....the generic ''bang''. \o/ :shake:

Games like F.E.A.R. made an impression on me. It's more than just sounding realistic...but that they sound strong. That they have a presence, and sound is a big part of that.

You have to check out FEAR2 project Origin if you haven't already, the guns, animations and sounds are top notch. Best guns I have seen in a game.....ever! \o/

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010, 17:30

On the other hand, a heavily used weapon shouldn't be so loud as to become annoying. For example, I get tired of the Rocket Launcher sounds in UT - they shred my ears with their shrill metallic raspings.
Life is what you make of it.

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010, 17:38

-Visc- wrote:But thats the point! Fuck realism, its just that that most games don't have powerful weapon sounds, ifs its a bullet based gun there is an explosion happening only a few centimeters away from your face. I am so tired of the generic ''Bang'' sound in games, but maybe its just me.
You pick up a weapon which is almost as tall and heavy as you, the ammo is as big as your arm, you pull the trigger, giant muzzle flash, your enemy gets ripped to shreds and then....the generic ''bang''. \o/ :shake:

Haha, yeah. You must have hated the original Automag sounds (and even the 226 sounds!) :lol:

Although I'm ok with guns that sound "weak" if the designers actually bother to assert that it was part of their design goals to make something silenced, or muted, in a way. After all, loud guns give away your position, so sometimes it might make sense to have a futuristic rifle that's built to minimize that. But most guns aren't presented that way, so there's not always a good excuse for it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010, 17:51

This discussion reminds me of how much loud are the UT3 sounds.
ImageImage

Maxer 64
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011, 02:08

Will Spencer have a new look just like Jones did, or will he look the same?
If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011, 04:43

Less thought was put into his character selection model/skin than Jones for Xidia Gold, that much is true. In a way we have a little more freedom with him.

User avatar AndryxaXP
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011, 16:48

faster than would

Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011, 00:36

Whatchya talkin about Willis?

Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011, 03:24

Bot

User avatar AndryxaXP

Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011, 09:59

true that the project is frozen?

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011, 02:30

No

User avatar AndryxaXP

Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011, 06:08

soon to be completed project:Residual Decay

Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011, 10:27

I've made it a point not to make release date promises anymore. I can't honestly say it's something that concerns me very much anymore. After so many years in development, RD's had a lot of changes in overal style and gameplay. And you know what all that experimentation has taught me? Sometimes simple and effective go a long away. Also, the story has been a mess for years and has only been resolved (mostly) as recently as 2010. Including BFNP content didn't help. At this point there are smaller projects that will get released first that follow that more focused axiom more closely, whereas RD will be an obligation I will keep. My best mapping will appear in this pack and all my best ideas. But I'm shouldering so much of it myself and have shuffled members so often over the years...

When it's done :)

Previous Next