This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

The Great Seven Bullets Challenge

For public discussion of "Savage Land" and other Red Nemesis projects.

Moderator: Mister_Prophet

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: The Great Seven Bullets Challenge

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 00:44

The Great Seven Bullets ChallengeBrought to you by your friends at Red Nemesis

The Challenge:

It's really simple. It's so simple that even players with an extra chromosome can try! It's a Seven Bullets SpeedRun! You simply have to play Seven Bullets and beat it with the fastest time possible. I know! It's fun for the whole family! Even if your family is dead!

The Rules:

No contest would be complete without rules, and this contest has lots! Follow these guidelines or your results will not count and you will be execute!

-You have to play every single map in one sitting. You have to take a screenshot at the end of every single map with the scoreboard showing to prove you've been playing a full fledged run through. Here at Red Nemesis, we believe the honor system is for boy scouts and little girls.

-Instead of showing scoreboards, you are permitted to show Demos as long as you show each map. Just make sure you follow all the other rules.

-You HAVE to play the game Through Oldskool and without any other mods or mutators running

-Playing on COOP is against the rules and you will be execute.

-Use the latest patches or versions since older variants included a scoreboard bug during the elevator EMP shield right before the Drago fight. This is important, because it will give your scoreboard a negative value which will look like you are cheating and cheating is bad!

-The gametime Ends after you defeat the Scarred One in the level entitled The Ghost of Oraghar. You can either take a screen-shot at precisely the moment the kill cutscene plays (or right before) of your current scoreboard OR you can show a demo of the fight with the scoreboard showing during the final stretch of the fight. In either case YOU MUST SHOW THE SCOREBOARD!

-You have to play the game on Medium difficulty. This is to ensure that everyone gets the same challenge. This is not about skill, it's about speed. And also skill

-Let's make this absolutely clear, Under no circumstances can you use ANY cheats! Your scoreboard will tell us if you are lying because your scoreboard is more honest than you are.

-You can reload a save if you die, but under no circumstances can you pull a "Code Reload" hack, which comes into play in levels where you have to find passcodes for consoles. What this means is, you cannot play a level, save at some point, continue playing until you locate a code for a console, and then reload the last save with the code memorized and cut your time in a shortcut. Inconsistent scoreboards for maps will give this away.

-Post your results in this thread.

***Extended Notes

-In the map "Unfinished Business" (second to last map), save a screenshot during the last five seconds of the final cutscene. Basically, when the Bird's Eye view of the falling Fighter Jet falls downward on Drago, take your screenshot then if you can.

-Always take multiple scoreboard shots if you can.

-Take your scoreboards right before the exit. If it is a dark map, try to keep the flashlight on for better judging. To see a good way to take shots, check out Ghost's second trial at the bottom of page 3.

The Deadline

April 30th

The Prize

1)

You can have one character based off you for the selection based multiplayer/COOP mode shipping with Residual Decay. This not only includes the character's name and appearance (you can do it off yourself, or do something fun...whichever you want) as well as partial say on how his stats rack up.

2)

This one is sort of a dual choice; You can request a Multiplayer map to be made according to your personal specifications OR if you are a mapper you can create a Multiplayer map of any style and submit it to be included (we'll put it in there nomatter how much it sucks or how batshit you make it).

3)

You can beta test Residual Decay before it is officially released. You'd be the only person outside the team to do this.

Current Attempts!

Ghost:
Time: 62 minutes 58 seconds
Score: 76231 (211 kills)
Video: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6351369GEjAKjmT?confirmed=1

MMan:
Time: 38 minutes 20 seconds
Score: 55126 (92 kills)

JBlade:
Time: 49 minutes 49 seconds
Score: 61173 (128 kills)

Current Best

MMan
Time: 38 minutes 20 seconds
Score: 55126 (92 kills)

---------

The contest begins now. Get cracking.
Last edited by Mister_Prophet on 20 Oct 2008, 05:11, edited 11 times in total.

User avatar zYnthetic
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 00:54

A reminder to use the latest patches or patched version as this fixes the bug that flags you as cheating after the emp steals your energy weaps in the ele up to Drago.
Also note that demos will crash certain maps including and beyond trench.
Last edited by zYnthetic on 29 Jan 2008, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 00:55

Ah good reminder by Zynthetic. I will mention that somewhere.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 01:03

Speedrun? I'll have to give this a shot.

How do end of level shots/demos show that you've did it in one sitting? Also, does dying matter?

Is there anywhere else to download 7B? I can't remember if I have the latest patch and the BeyondUnreal download is down.

User avatar zYnthetic

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 01:13

http://download.beyondunreal.com/filewo ... 1-full.rar
I don't think dying matters, just the total accumulated time on the scoreboard.
Last edited by zYnthetic on 29 Jan 2008, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 01:15

Mman wrote:
How do end of level shots/demos show that you've did it in one sitting? Also, does dying matter?

Technically speaking, there is no real way for us to tell :o But it will help us to see that you did play each level and judging by the level times accumulated (and mainly judging from the final scoreboard) we can assume pretty well that you played it all on one shot.

Dying is okay. So is reloading a save when you die. Although it will influence us more if you die less or if we watch a demo where a player can make it through without getting killed. It's just more manly to do it without dying.

But it's on medium and you'll have lots of rations so I doubt dying will be too much of a problem.

Mman wrote:
Is there anywhere else to download 7B? I can't remember if I have the latest patch and the BeyondUnreal download is down.

Zynthetic tells me the links are secure. I'll let him mention where exactly.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 02:17

zYnthetic wrote:http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/rednemesis/sevenbullets/sevenbullets-121-full.rar
I don't think dying matters, just the total accumulated time on the scoreboard.

Thanks.

"Influence", so does that mean that time isn't everything, and how you do it will affect the vote? What about the "learn the code, then load" trick; there isn't any way to tell whether someone used that, beyond fast times.

Sounds like the easiest way is for me to record a single-segment run in FRAPS.

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 02:34

All I meant by influence is that it will probably look better if Demo'd, but since not everyone can demo their play speed we accept scoreboards. Although recordings would be easier to validate. All that will matter to determine the winner is the fastest time, assuming that nobody is cheating :)

As for the "learn the code" thing, unfortunately the only way I can tell who dodged that one is a recording, and that would mean discounting scoreboards. But since the fastest times on those levels (most directly, the 2nd level) will be similar if done the correct way, while a person using a hack method to get through the level quicker will be easy to spot. Clearly there would be no way a person can beat a level in 60 seconds that would take just about everyone else between 5:30 or 5:50. Inconsistent averages are very telling, which is why I want scoreboards for each level if you can't do a demo.

EDIT: In light of the "Load with the code" idea, I'll make a special mention of that in the rules.

User avatar GTD-Carthage

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 04:45

Prize? Is it gonna be an on-request map-pack from Proph like NP Heaven Redux? :DDDD

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 06:21

Not exactly decided yet. I have a few ideas. I'll either let the winner pick one or I'll pick the one that seems like it's the coolest.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 14:43

So, a speedrun. I'll do it for fun's sake.
ImageImage

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 17:16

Just something I want to ask: since Saving/loading the game can be done (as the rules say), it's possible to restart the level?
ImageImage

Subject:

Post Posted: 29 Jan 2008, 20:05

If you think you can beat your first run, yeah. Why wouldn't you?

Ghost
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2008, 08:57

I'm in
/me puts on running boots and loads UT
May the most paranoid/jumpy speed runner win!

One question:
Does our total kills effect how well we get scored?

User avatar zYnthetic

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2008, 09:03

If it gets you through faster then I suppose it does :P

Next