UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Map Help?

For public discussion of "Savage Land" and other Red Nemesis projects.

Moderator: Mister_Prophet

Maxer 64
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Map Help?

Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011, 01:45

I always wanted to know how to make a great campaine like Xidia Gold, I'm new and I wanted to know if you can give me some tips. Also, how do you make a cool hud like in 7 Bullets or Xidia? :wink:
If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: Map Help?

Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011, 03:46

Well unless you know how to do multiple tasks like mapping, modeling, animating, ect, the best advice I can give you is that you need to assemble a team. Or at least, enlist people that look like they know what they are doing for a specific task. Ambition has its good merits. It breeds creativity. But you always need to know what your limitations are. Remember the game you're modding for and what it did best with what it had, and try to do the same. For example, to make a HUD that you like you need to know someone (or be able to do yourself) who has texture artistry skills and someone else who knows a bit of code and/or script to assemble the HUD icons.

As for more practical advice, like tutorials and such...I posted a couple on the USP mainpage that I think are pretty helpful. Really, the way I learned how to do stuff was to play a lot of singleplayer maps and see what other authors did to make things work.

Maxer 64
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011, 01:10

Thanks for the advise, this could really help! I was going to make a campaine called { SILVER SCOPE } and now me (and a team) can start it.
If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011, 11:24

Maxer 64 wrote:I always wanted to know how to make a great campaine like Xidia Gold, I'm new and I wanted to know if you can give me some tips. Also, how do you make a cool hud like in 7 Bullets or Xidia? :wink:

Sounds ambitious.

Since you mentioned you are new, I'm wondering whether this means new to unrealsp.org, or to mapping (and relevant actions). Since you asked how a hud can be made, I'm guesiing the latter. In which case I would humbly advise to try making a (one = 1) map to see how it works out, which problems you will run into, will the ambition last, will inspiration last, how long will it take you, etc...

I'm not implying anything, but if you haven't mapped before, then forget about beginning a large campaign at this stage. Just think about the time needed by (a team of) very experienced mappers to produce the well known large (or even the semi-large) campaigns.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011, 17:53

I'm about three years ahead of my first experience with XG and 7Bullets, and I've pumped myself several times for some decent mappage ever since. I've even gotten into a free modeling program, Blender, and that alone has in turn enriched my skills in 3D design overall. I'm still learning a few things specific to mapping, though, and that's how to reflect my motivation into a piece of work completely with the skills I have now. That's mostly layout design and planning, which I'm hopefully getting better at, but that's a general step-by-step flow of how to get yourself to a position to work on or lead a large project. Then it's all down to your ability to work with and provide for a team to build the campaign in question. As for your first mapping, go ahead and make a map to get a feel for where you're at in that regard, then you can post screenshots or release it all together so you can receive constructive criticism from other people. That's where to start, at least. The best thing you can do, though, is to analyze other peoples' maps on your own and to try and replicate what you see to whatever degree you think is best (you may even go so far as to improve on the initial technique(s) you observe). You may not know it at first glance, but an extremely high number of top-notch maps use stock techniques to create extremely original works on this old engine. Really, if you see something you'd like to learn how to do, go ahead and delve in at your leisure and figure it out hands-on.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."