Could be asleep, typing random messages instead.

Would you like a development pic section on the site?

For public discussion of "Savage Land" and other Red Nemesis projects.

Moderator: Mister_Prophet

Would you be interested in seeing a WIP material section on Red Nemesis for RD?

Yes!
90%
No!
10%

Total votes: 20

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Would you like a development pic section on the site?

Post Posted: 26 Dec 2007, 20:33

Just something I'm curious about asking people.

I've noticed a lot of other mods (Unreal related or otherwise) sometimes have a media section on their mod sites with material that's "in production". What this means, obviously, is that besides a normal set of publicity stuff they show off WIP shots. Things like unskinned models, early map shots, concept art...things like that.

At Red Nemesis we've kinda felt that final or close to final, good quality publicity material was the only thing we should be showing (besides a few slips on my part, showing some shots "not ready for public consumption"). But since I have a swelling folder of WIP content stored from when the project started I've always kind of toyed with the idea of putting such a section to our site. Originally I was saving most of this stuff for a supplemental section of the released game, but yeah....I'm curious as to what you guys think of this kind of thing from mod teams. Personally, I've always found WIP sections interesting as long as nothing too revealing gets slipped.

This Poll won't effect anything site related since the decision remains something that me and a the other founding members need to chew over. It isn't something that may actually happen. But, yeah...what do you guys think?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Dec 2007, 20:47

Voted yes. I'll accept anything that isn't spoiler-ific.
ImageImage

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Dec 2007, 20:50

O'course! :o
A bit development material that does not spoil too much is never a mistake, just dont show us really epic story stuff.
In fact showing us unskinned content which is still under development is still free for suggestions and not made in stone and that cant be bad at all.

User avatar Jethro
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Dec 2007, 22:03

Obviously no, it's always sad to watch cool-looking material getting trashed because it didn't fit to the final product.

I'd rather only see things that'll be included in the final release for sure.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

wael
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Dec 2007, 22:24

Jethro wrote:Obviously no, it's always sad to watch cool-looking material getting trashed because it didn't fit to the final product.

I'd rather only see things that'll be included in the final release for sure.

I believe by development screenshots our dear mr.prophet meant WIP shots of material that's gonna go into the game.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 26 Dec 2007, 22:55

Yes, you can show everything!
(Well.. almost everything...)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Jethro

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Dec 2007, 00:28

wael wrote:I believe by development screenshots our dear mr.prophet meant WIP shots of material that's gonna go into the game.

Wellll yes, I think so, but please keep in mind that according to 7B map commentary and MOTW discussion certain parts of the maps were rebuilt from scratch or simply trashed due to unresolved BSP errors that could't have been predicted once the developement started. SO what I'm trying to say is I'm pretty sure there's lots of extra content produced during mod developement and I'd like to see only those parts that'll be included for sure. Abandoned stuff can be shown as bonus stuff post mod release. But that's just mine opinion.
UBerserker wrote:Story: totally guessed that Skeletor was the thief.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Dec 2007, 09:38

I voted yes because of curiosity. But i believe in the "no" option. It is annoying to see things which never materialise in the final product. And also, we don't need to know how good the game is before we have even played it. Save most of the cool stuff WIP shots for release AFTER the mod comes out. Like, have the section on your site, but restrict it to concept art only so that nothing too revealing is given away. Once the mod is released you could post all other material as "if you are interested" stuff. Most people will be too busy downloading and playing the mod to bother spoiling themselves with it. Once they finish it they could go and have a look at everything.
Maybe you could dig deep and pull out some xidia and 7B concept art and whatnot just for curiosities sake and post that on the WIP section. No one is going to be spoiling their game that way, and we still get interesting stuff to look at.

User avatar zYnthetic

Subject:

Post Posted: 27 Dec 2007, 12:51

We have a development pic section. It's called "Residual Decay".