Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

Help / ideas wanted

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009, 18:21

Wow I am shocked, that sounds pretty much like retirement to me. First BfNP and that......but USP = Hellscrag :/

Unfortunately I have not the required skills to fulfill the mentioned tasks, but hopefully we get our most motivated members to get the jobs done.
I hope you will at least stick your head into USP from time to time, I know sometimes everything is a bit ''stagnating'' here, but thats a community about a single game, many communities built around a single game/game line fail to survive two years, but we did prevail, over a decade!

Some big mods with user friendly tools are heading towards us, enough to get the community back to life for a year or two, all in all everything looks promising. :tup:
And well, lets see, maybe we see some future SP mods for UT3, who knows?

Ah, its a shame that this had to happen.... :|

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009, 19:03

zYnthetic wrote:Just establish a template for posting Upcoming Maps to be used in the first post. This gets posted (or edited in) in Projects by anyone and then a mod moves it to the (users:post new topic disabled) Upcoming Maps forum. Much like news the info in the first post gets parsed to display on the main Upcoming Maps page and ppl can still leave comments.
Wouldn't it be nice if writing a script for this was a simple as it sounds :p

Great minds think alike... that's pretty much exactly how I had intended to do it. :)

EDIT: Thanks Visc. I'm not planning to go away completely... I'm just trying to unload the day-to-day management of some or all of the site, if I can.

EDIT2:

Raven wrote:In this case... it is :). Well maybe adding prefixes for projects (like [UT1], [U1], etc) and filtering will few minutes, but using current news script as a base this update will be fairly easy to achieve. But what about featured/recently completed projects ? Will it be done with another forum or just by prefixes (even in topic title will be enough, then just parse it).

There are ways around that, like prefixes as you suggested. I'll need to think about exactly how I would want this to operate for a little longer.
Life is what you make of it.

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009, 20:10

It's okay as long as you keep paying for the domain...

some of us have long-term projects you know.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009, 21:44

LOL_PEANUTS wrote:It's okay as long as you keep paying for the domain...

some of us have long-term projects you know.

Er... I'm not sure how to take that.

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 02:17

pay-pal... I'd gladly help to pay for domain and server.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 02:19

jackrabbit wrote:
...In fact, if I worked a bit of PHP mojo, a forum-based Upcoming Maps page would not be out of the question, and there would be various ways of doing it. It would be a system that could be maintained either by a selected team of Upcoming Maps moderators or even by the mappers themselves (as long as clear ground rules were set). That along with the news system would take care of the areas of the site most in need of regular updates.

holy crap.. I would totally become one of those "mapper" guys who updates their own section. I think this is a very healthy idea for the community or people who want to get their project out there. If you establish those "groud rules" you speak of for the mappers, i'm sure you would get good response.

I must agree being a mapper myself. I will surely keep up to date on my own WTF Series project, as i am working on it almost every single day right now, even if it is only for an hour. I'm sure Peanuts would agree to update his part of the project as well :)
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 02:29

Raven wrote:pay-pal... I'd gladly help to pay for domain and server.

Yeah, I would be willing to support this site with some money for hosting if necessary, no problem. :tup:

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009, 12:00

Thanks for the offers of peer funding. It's not necessary at this time, but is something that could be considered in the future if I wanted to leave completely.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009, 22:00

Update

Ok, here's what I propose to do over the next couple of weeks.

1. Appoint sana as news editor (if the offer still stands)

Sana - You will be in charge of posting all news (except news that relate to site updates that I have just uploaded). You will get to decide what is newsworthy and what isn't. There'll be some basic posting guidelines that I'll supply you with, but you are free to develop your own style within the template.

You may wish to look around for an assistant news editor or two to share the burden. Meanwhile, I will investigate whether there is a way to provide you with an FTP account to upload images.

2. Upload a new, simplified "The Team" page

The existing page is out of date and over-complicated.

3. Fix up the review of Shivaxi's pack

By necessity this will have to be a very basic update, changing a paragraph or two and slightly tweaking the score to reflect the changes made in the re-release.

4. Work on a forum-based Upcoming Maps page

This should be largely straightforward. The main challenge will be getting the page to display the entries in my preferred order: so that the thread with the most recent edit to its first post generates the map at the top of the list, and so on.

Other priorities

The principal other priority for me is to get up to date with UBerserker's beta guide (I think I have three maps that I haven't added - UB has sensibly stopped sending me further content for the time being). This, however, won't be happening within the next couple of weeks.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009, 22:21

The offer still stands. :)

Also, what is it you have to do to "get up to date" with the beta guide? Is it more work to adjust it to the site layout or to correct the English? In case it's the latter, I would also offer my help on that, since I do believe that my English skills have improved a bit since the Apocalypse Threat review. :P
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009, 22:27

sana wrote:Also, what is it you have to do to "get up to date" with the beta guide? Is it more work to adjust it to the site layout or to correct the English?

He said it - three finished maps haven't been added yet.

Also I forgot about the beta stuff. I have to restart my work for it before I ever get the decision to go away for a long time.
ImageImage

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009, 22:29

sana wrote:Also, what is it you have to do to "get up to date" with the beta guide? Is it more work to adjust it to the site layout or to correct the English? In case it's the latter, I would also offer my help on that, since I do believe that my English skills have improved a bit since the Apocalypse Threat review. :P

A combination... but UB's English has come on a long way, too... mostly it's just sitting down to do what is a long and repetitive task that puts me off. UB's work is very detailed. :)

Edit: Thanks for agreeing to help, by the way! I almost forgot to say it! I'll be in touch later on with the details.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009, 22:51

No problem. Oh yeah, some more thoughts:

Hellscrag wrote:4. Work on a forum-based Upcoming Maps page

This should be largely straightforward. The main challenge will be getting the page to display the entries in my preferred order: so that the thread with the most recent edit to its first post generates the map at the top of the list, and so on.

1. Perhaps change the page to "Upcoming Projects"? Just a thought. Residual Decay isn't a map.

2. In case you allow project leaders to update their entries themselves, wouldn't the mos trecent edit feature allow for abuse? People would push their own projects to the top with meaningless edits. But then again they probably won't care about their project's placement THAT much, so..
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009, 23:01

sana wrote:2. In case you allow project leaders to update their entries themselves, wouldn't the mos trecent edit feature allow for abuse? People would push their own projects to the top with meaningless edits. But then again they probably won't care about their project's placement THAT much, so..

Good point. Well, there are three options as I see it. I would welcome any thoughts.

1. Projects appear with the newest thread first (or last). Within the list, the order doesn't change at all.

2. Projects appear with the most recently edited thread at the top (with a bit of supervision by moderators, I would suggest that this is the best solution).

3. Projects appear with the most recent reply at the top (like on the actual forum).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject:

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009, 23:14

sana - Details on how to post news can found in the UnrealSP.Org staff forum, to which you should now have access. Let me know if you need any more info, otherwise you're free to start posting news just as soon as I've made an announcement myself.

Welcome aboard. :tup:

Previous Next