Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

UnrealSP.org: Development hiatus

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar UTNerd24
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: UnrealSP.org: End of service

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019, 05:40

UBerserker wrote:
Play my junk yo

Already have. Plenty of times. If only I could talk to you and Waff again. The echo chamber that is my DM's needs sustenance.
Pls play Unreal

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019, 15:47

Plenty of time to consider options then, as Semfry said.

I still didn't expect to see this... though it is understandable.

The community and all the good stuff produced over the years won't be gone for good - that much is for sure.
We'll be in touch on Discord and OldUnreal etc. :)

I want to contribute one review for this site before September though, I'll do my best... I trust that we'll still have access to this site's content later one way or another.

Thank you ividyon. Thank you Hellscrag. And thank you UBerserker, Mister_Prophet, Semfry, and Jigoku. Thank you to all the others with whom I interacted - for everything, and thanks even to some others with whom I never interacted for your tips, write-ups, single player adventures etc. which I have found stored on this website.

Catch you later and take care.
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar UTNerd24
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019, 04:13

I'm banned from your Discord though. So this closure means especially much to me. Once again, thank you for everything.
Pls play Unreal

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019, 13:05

I've been backing up as much stuff to the internet archive as possible. Got all the legacy reviews so far.

I'm assuming this isn't likely, but would it be possible to get the old pages for Team UnrealSP and Firestorm back up so they can be archived? I totally get if it's not.

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019, 01:14

AlCapowned wrote:I've been backing up as much stuff to the internet archive as possible. Got all the legacy reviews so far.

I'm assuming this isn't likely, but would it be possible to get the old pages for Team UnrealSP and Firestorm back up so they can be archived? I totally get if it's not.
Team UnrealSP is here. legacy/tusp/ Turboman deleted his website, so that is gone!..

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019, 02:54

Wait... has anybody finished Firestorm yet?

This forum cannot go bye bye until Firestorm is completed!

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019, 09:52

evilgrins wrote:Wait... has anybody finished Firestorm yet?

:lol: :lol: love evilgrins :D :tup:
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019, 04:14

evilgrins wrote:Wait... has anybody finished Firestorm yet?

and The Chosen One!.. both are going on 10 years in development!!..

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 10:43

Is there anyone planing to create a forum or something similar so that discussions can be centralised in an orderly fashion (and where Unrealsp.org users can "meet").
I've tried Discord but that totally unfit for centralised discussions. I'm checking out a couple of other boards but there's little available for singleplayer.

This board may be closing but there are still quite a few projects in development (an updated list wouldn't be superfluous considering all the canceled projects) and it would be a shame to miss the releases.

BTW, I've been looking at some free webhosts and I'm willing to use that to set up a phpBB board and more or less keep the current structure as here, if there's enough interest. Unfortunately I'm leaving on holiday soon and won't be able to do much before half october.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019, 15:19

salsaSkaarj wrote:BTW, I've been looking at some free webhosts and I'm willing to use that to set up a phpBB board and more or less keep the current structure as here, if there's enough interest. Unfortunately I'm leaving on holiday soon and won't be able to do much before half october.

I've been wondering whether it would be possible to do something like this. Some kind of continued existence of a forum would be great. I wonder how large the present forum database is, and whether it could be carried over? If it were a clean slate and new registrations were required, a new forum may not attract a lot of users.

I still have a copy of the legacy web site as it was when I left it, which is not that different from now, except a few reviews have been added. With a decent FTP client that could be re-mounted very easily. Only the news and upcoming maps pages would need to be removed - as they were designed to interface with an old version of the forum.

This is all probably too much to expect from a free web hosting service.

I'm afraid I still don't feel able to take over my old duties as a regular admin. If I have any time to spend on Unreal stuff, I'd prefer to spend it mapping, although without a dedicated forum to promote it on any mapping efforts would have a limited audience!

Of course, there's still OldUnreal.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 11:22

Hellscrag wrote:I've been wondering whether it would be possible to do something like this. Some kind of continued existence of a forum would be great. I wonder how large the present forum database is, and whether it could be carried over? If it were a clean slate and new registrations were required, a new forum may not attract a lot of users.

Database size shouldn't be a problem (especially since ivydion would remove the private development forums).
The only thing which may need some thinking through is the modifications made to the database which probably require some undoing to fit in default phpBB. I can handle all that but time is a limiting factor and I wouldn't want any "special features" hampering future updates (especially with phpBB 3.3 knocking on the door).

Hellscrag wrote:I still have a copy of the legacy web site as it was when I left it, which is not that different from now, except a few reviews have been added. With a decent FTP client that could be re-mounted very easily. Only the news and upcoming maps pages would need to be removed - as they were designed to interface with an old version of the forum.

This is all probably too much to expect from a free web hosting service.

Actually copying a website (if it's not database driven) is relatively simple and even on a free host a board and a website can coexist without any problem. The only real problem is finding a free webhost with more or less guaranteed lifetime.
Next week I'm going to try out a few.

BTW a host isn't needed to start on development - Most work can be done on a personal webserver (on my PC) even while unrealsp.org is still live.
The real question is whether there's sufficient interest in keeping "this" alive and with "this" I really mean keeping the current content - I'll pass on setting up a new (empty) board.

BTW this board is based on phpBB 3.1.0 RC2 and I have no idea how far-reaching ivydion's modifications are, so at the moment I have no idea how much time I would need.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 14:12

Honestly it feels like everything outside the core "UnrealSP.Org" forum category could be deleted. Projects and Upcoming Maps could probably be combined.

If you do decide to proceed with something, sS... well, if there are small ways in which I can help, let me know.

I don't think you should go it alone. No shame in asking other regulars to step up too.

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019, 17:25

@salsaSkaarj and @Hellscrag: I just would like to say that yes, there's sufficient interest in keeping "this" alive (keeping the current content) and also, I just love Map Of The Week, so if that could be kept too I would be immensely happy...

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019, 05:15

ividyon wrote:...

I will keep a minimal backup of the website's current state once it goes offline for good, meaning that there will be options for someone dedicated and trustworthy to continue the community if they wish to. However, as the website data contains a lot of sensitive information (including plain-text direct messages, private development forums of teams like Red Nemesis, etc.), it is unlikely that someone both trustworthy and tech-savvy enough will appear, considering they haven't in all these prior years.

Just to keep the idea open.
I don't see any problem concerning the sensitive information. A copy of the board could be made, all private forums, including posts) could be deleted from the copy, as could the PMs, users who haven't posted could be removed, currently active users could request to have their data removed, and only that (cleaned) copy would be made available for the continuation forum.

User avatar zYnthetic

Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019, 19:07

I've been following this for a while before responding. I have available resources to provide a continuation of the site as it is now but also many reservations about doing so. Some reservations are exclusive to myself and others are more universal, both converge at the same point.

What does UnrealSP need?

The answer isn't a new host or renewal, these are only facilitators. They may be necessary but I'm not asking what we need to keep the site running. A million years ago a few BuF'rs splintered off and made what was at the time the best way to bring people together over an interest in Unreal. It is uncontestable how much easier it is to engage with others today, yet it has been a serious problem on UnrealSP for years. Running phpbb is one of my own biggest reservations for the security concerns it raises and the high administrative costs make managing a community nearly impossible without restricting it.

My opinion of what UnrealSP needs the most is participation. Specifically the ability to participate with as little cost (to admin) as possible. What that means in terms of where the site goes is anyone's guess but if we can't make it easier for more people to engage in the community, even if the site is take care of indefinitely it wont matter if the community shrinks to nothing.

I have no problem hosting static content or even purchasing the domain. I'd like to hear some suggestions of what we can do with the community portion of UnrealSP. Is the forum format really something we should be doing? With access to different community based services (reddit, amino, etc), is staying an island the best thing? What options are there that help UnrealSP as a community become more accessible and visible to the world at large?

Previous Next