Scout-kun is a lie... right?

UnrealSP.org update status

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

How would you like the navigation bar (at the top) to behave?

Poll ended at 26 May 2014, 16:09

Leave it at the top of the page. If I need something, I can scroll up.
60%
Scroll it along with the viewer! I don't mind a little less vertical space.
40%

Total votes: 5

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Subject: Re: Site re-design: Concept stage

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 19:50

Ooh, centered notifications look quite nice.

User avatar Tarydax
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 19:56

I like the one with the Skaarj in it more than the one without it, personally. Although, the one without it looks nice too.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 20:05

sana wrote:Image

Perfect. The Skaarj really took away the whole badass feel from the logo.
ImageImage

User avatar Legendslayer222

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 20:23

sana wrote:Image

I liked the Skaarj, but seeing this third design I think the logo works best without him.
Maybe he can find a home somewhere else? Perhaps as one of the site's default avatars, at least?
Last edited by Legendslayer222 on 09 Dec 2011, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 20:24

Legendslayer222 wrote:I liked the Skaarj, but seeing this third design I think the logo works best without him.
Maybe he can find a home somewhere else?

I suggested on the last page that the bottom of the left hand menu might be good, or else maybe the bottom of the news page if you scroll all the way down or something?

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 20:31

I like both the Skaarj and non Skaarj versions so either is good in my eyes. Just the general change is good, you know? And I certainly think the planned changes for some forum sections is a good thing to address. Certain sections are just named oddly.

The thing that caught my eye is adding a comment section to the articles, and presumably this means the reviews as well. As someone who did a stint as a reviewer at Nali City in the day, I feel I may be qualified to address this idea. Namely, it's a slippery detail. The concept behind it is always good; give "the people" a say. But in every instance I've seen it, be it youtube or Nalicity, it's simply been a invite for mass douchbaggery. If we include it I think it ought to be limited to registered users and that's it. I'm assuming there would also be a system to moderate, because I do not envy that person's job. The only other issue I have with it is that...well...a lot of those articles have been there for years, some of them many years. How many new comments are we going to get on a review from 2007 or an article posted in 2006?

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 20:50

I prefer the logo with the Skaarj, but I also like the text-only logo. In the end, either design would fit well. If the Skaarj isn't used in the logo, it would be nice to have it somewhere else, like Waffnuffly and Lengedslayer suggested.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 21:06

[21:03:36] <+ebd> this is just like, my opinion but I'd cut the bevel and emboss styling on the logo text

vs:

He might have a point!

I might be spamming this a bit, but my approach to design is sorta trial'n'error. If anyone feels like it, do join me in the USP chat for more instant feedbackage!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 21:11

I think I like the top one best.
Formerly Mman

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 21:13

Mister_Prophet wrote:The thing that caught my eye is adding a comment section to the articles, and presumably this means the reviews as well. As someone who did a stint as a reviewer at Nali City in the day, I feel I may be qualified to address this idea. Namely, it's a slippery detail. The concept behind it is always good; give "the people" a say. But in every instance I've seen it, be it youtube or Nalicity, it's simply been a invite for mass douchbaggery. If we include it I think it ought to be limited to registered users and that's it. I'm assuming there would also be a system to moderate, because I do not envy that person's job. The only other issue I have with it is that...well...a lot of those articles have been there for years, some of them many years. How many new comments are we going to get on a review from 2007 or an article posted in 2006?

Agreed, though I imagine it would work the way the news system works right now, where you can only comment on stuff via the forums. So in a way we don't need comments on reviews or articles, just news stories about new reviews or new articles being posted (as it is now).

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011, 21:26

If that's the approach then I'm for it. The forum is a better place for creative discussion and opinion sharing in this internet user's opinion.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011, 02:36

If you want to launch the new site design with a review of Residual Decay you can probably procrastinate on it a little longer ;)

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011, 12:46

I actually liked your first concept the best. Whichever one you go for, it's a nice piece for work, which actually harks back to this, the original USP logo (while being a great deal better, of course)!

Life is what you make of it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011, 15:57

I like the first one better (less striped letters) but since it's supposed to be a logo for an Unreal site, I'm expecting something strikingly Unreal such as the Skaarj outline in your first image. I actually didn't have a problem with the indented outline, but the notifications weren't clear enough. The new design lacks the Skaarj but the notifications are clearer.

But the principle "less is more" has to be taken into account, don't overdo it (for me the notifications are already a bit superfluous).

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011, 21:07

Slowly moving forward. Here's how my sandbox .html file looks right now:

Do you think the menu should move along with the reader when scrolling down the site? Or is it fine if it just stays at the top?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Previous Next