ividyon will never get this done, will he.

Notification mails

For discussion about UnrealSP.org itself.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: Notification mails

Post Posted: 30 May 2010, 02:24

:/
[email protected], the e-mail I used for the other account, received a mail as well.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Diehard
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 30 May 2010, 02:25

And, you getting a notification?
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar Diehard

Post Posted: 30 May 2010, 02:28

Oh, you posted inbetween, but does sanaa get a notification mail?

If so, turn it over to me, to see what happens. Just PM the logindetails.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 May 2010, 08:36

hey Hellscrag, I have a quick question. Sorry about barging into the conversation like this, but:

Is it possible for you to change my email? you see, the email address that I always use is already associated with an older account of mine, and I have no way of changing my email on this account to my primary email address.
Image Image

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 30 May 2010, 10:58

-Shadow- wrote:hey Hellscrag, I have a quick question. Sorry about barging into the conversation like this, but:

Is it possible for you to change my email? you see, the email address that I always use is already associated with an older account of mine, and I have no way of changing my email on this account to my primary email address.

That's possible. You'd need to let me know what the old account was called so that I can take the e-mail address off that account first.

Just a note, though - I don't mind doing it for you, but I'm not actually in charge around here any more. sana's your man for future queries.
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 30 May 2010, 19:41

Hellscrag wrote:That's possible. You'd need to let me know what the old account was called so that I can take the e-mail address off that account first.

Just a note, though - I don't mind doing it for you, but I'm not actually in charge around here any more. sana's your man for future queries.

ok, I'll send you a PM with my old account name with it, but if you'd rather have me send it to sana, please let me know.
Image Image

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 01 Jun 2010, 21:29

@ sana and Diehard

Is the problem solved? and if yes, what was the cause?

User avatar Diehard

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010, 14:02

I havnt heard back from Sana yet.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010, 14:07

Oh, pardon me. I remember writing that everything worked out for me (even on your account, using my e-mail), but I suppose I haven't sent the reply...
I received notification mails on both sana, sanaa and DiehardAsWell using the emails [email protected] and [email protected]. In fact my inbox is being spammed with notification mails, I should really turn them off!
This is a rather confusing affair. Everybody else seems to receive notification mails, so I can't help but think it is something on your side... unless the forum software holds a grudge against you!
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010, 21:39

Again, probably reduntant but one never knows.
a) repair and or optimise usertable and/or all tables with permissions, test Diehard account again.

If that didn't help.
b) backup the whole Diehard account. (edit: this wasn't very clear - what I mean is backup the Diehard data from the users_table to another table so that it can be reused later, then delete the user Diehard from the users_table (the user_id can then be reused).) Find an inactive and out of use account (which hasn't posted) - transfer it to Diehard (meaning for starters change username and e-mailadres), test notification mails, and if it works change the primary key (to the Diehard value) (and follow up in other tables).
Alternatively create a new account which is tested and then transfer it to Diehard (either change primary keys or choose the simple way which is just transferring the posts to the new account.

Apologies offered if I sound like a meddler, I am implying no criticism on sana at all. It's just that the case baffles me and I also want to know what the cause is and more importantly how to solve it (in case I encounter the same problem).

edited later to avoid confusion.

User avatar Diehard

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010, 00:32

I am all for it salsaSkaarj but i start doubting it will help. Because if Sana is getting notifications on my account, i schould get it as well. But the really, really only thing i can think of right now, is that somehow the forum doesnt see me go offline.

And it cant be on my end, because the mail servers i used arnt on my end, those are 3party mailservers, and the mailservers simply relays mail to me. And i do receive mail on all accounts i tested, so on my end mail is ariving without any problem.

We also ruled out wrong settings on my part on the forums. We also rules out errors in the accounts as Sana was able to receive notification mails from my account. And as said, i do receive mail from my ISP Chello, from the Celtic Warriors mailserver, from the Unreal Texture mailserver and from my new account by google. So all mailservers seem to be functional, and able to sent and receive emails. That simply excludes "My end"

And since Sana is able to receive notifications if he uses my account, than there is something wrong with me here on the forums. I am the culpprit seems. So leaves the question whats happening when you login here. You login with the username and password, and i asume, the forum checks if my IP is present. If i leave the forums, than my IP will disconnect from the forums. That way the forum knows that i am not there anymore. Of course a cookie is created to read my password and username, and to exclude the cookie i already deleted that one as well several times.

If i am disconnected and a reply is made, than the forum will sent a notification. And seeing the fact i dont receive a notification, than the only thing i can think of is that the forum does not see me leave for whatever reason. And not even when i manually log out. And therefore it doesnt sent me a notification, because "i am still there"

And seeying the fact Sana can receive notifications on my account, it means that its limited to my IP and not the username and password. So something is wrong with my IP. And the only thing i could try is login from a different IP and see if that triggers a notification mail. And when i go to my mom one of theses days ill try that by loging in from her computer.
DìèHárd»§ÇW§

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010, 21:35

Diehard wrote:...
And seeying the fact Sana can receive notifications on my account, it means that its limited to my IP and not the username and password. So something is wrong with my IP. And the only thing i could try is login from a different IP and see if that triggers a notification mail. And when i go to my mom one of theses days ill try that by loging in from her computer.

I have a fairly good knowledge of the code and working of phpBB3 (unfortunately not as good as my knowledge of phpBB2) and just spent about an hour looking through the code again - on phpBB's side there are few places where IP's are needed: for session management (that's logical cfr auto-login), for banning (if IP's are banned - now your's isn't banned at all since you can still read and post) and for constructing the included mailheaders). This last option isn't a cause for concern because other people receive notification when you post.

What sana could still try is to use your account on his testforum to see whether the problem also exists there. If yes then I would try to create a new clean testforum (upgrade from the phpbb2 version), test again (and for sake or argument I'll suppose the problem isn't there), and then reapply all modifications one by one (with testing after each modification).

I'm running out of ideas but I'm fairly certain phpbb software itself is not to blame otherwise this should affect other users also.
On your side you could try login in using different browsers - I have IE, Avant, Firefox, Opera and Chrome installed (although seriously I can't see how this would have an effect).
Or try using a proxy: try first with a transparent proxy (which still passes your true IP) and then with a nontransparent proxy (so the forum doesn't even see your real IP).

Damn, my curiosity is killing me.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010, 21:48

It sounds a lot like a mail server / routing problem which has absolutely nothing to do with this forum or any accounts here. My guess is some part of the mail network the messages go through to get to diehard's email account is screwed up.

What's your email provider?

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010, 23:14

Waffnuffly wrote:It sounds a lot like a mail server / routing problem which has absolutely nothing to do with this forum or any accounts here. My guess is some part of the mail network the messages go through to get to diehard's email account is screwed up.

What's your email provider?

If it's on the board the error logs should show something, if it's on the server then those logs should show something. If nothing comes up, then it still doesn't explain why Diehard receives notification mails from other forums.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010, 23:20

I'm inclined to agree with Waffnuffly... it's probably an e-mail routing anomaly.

Life is what you make of it.

Previous Next