Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Dynamic ambient sound?

For random rambling. Please keep your posts tasteful and respectful.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

CarmeloLabadie
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Dynamic ambient sound?

Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021, 10:40

As the title says, why and what does the enable or disable dynamic ambient sound setting do?

User avatar Aspide
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: Re: Dynamic ambient sound?

Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021, 18:27

Are you talking about the DynamicAmbientSound actor?, because as far as I know there is no "enable or disable" setting.
Somewhere in Nevada...

User avatar Preki
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021, 23:22

UnrealShare.DynamicAmbientSound plays randomly one-shot (ie. non-looping) sounds at chosen intervals. There's a boolean variable bInitiallyOn that allows enabling or disabling sound playback from the actor (or so I think).

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021, 05:24

Basically, you put one of these suckers in a zone and you set a list of one shot sounds you like for that area. The ReCheck Times give you a maximum amount of time that will pass before one of the randomly selected noises will be heard by the player, and a minimum wait time. A variable in playProbability (default .6 I believe, which means 60% chance) denotes the likelihood that a random sound from the list will play when a point between the minimum and maximum time is met.

So, if we're following, if you want the player to walk around in a dark cave and occasionally hear drips and other ambient noises about every twenty seconds or so at a high probability of occurrence, set minimum time to about 15 and maximum to about 25, with a test interval of 80% chance that a sound will play (which means .8 chance) and then make sure to load up the sound slots with all the drippy cave noises you can find.

The InitiallyOn feature simply determines whether the actor will be active by default at the start of the level, which....in my many years of messing around with Unreal levels....ought to always be on by default. I've never turned it on but I assume DontRepeat will simply play each sound once before they are all heard and then the actor will cease.