Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

[RELEASED] DOM/DM-HomeTown (Pan'thali Haven)

For discussion of anything relating to multiplayer gameplay in the Unreal series, including co-op.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Subject: [RELEASED] DOM/DM-HomeTown (Pan'thali Haven)

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020, 00:20

(No screenshots tonight, sorry, as it's late and I'm also lacking somewhere to host them!)

Download (257MB :o) - you may be prompted to sign it but shouldn't actually need to:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij0kgj0iuqs81 ... d.zip?dl=0

Background and Extended Description

This release is a chance to experience Pan'thali Haven, the opening map of the aborted Unreal: Battle for Na Pali (BfNP) single player campaign, as a multiplayer map for Unreal Tournament.

Pan'thali Haven was originally conceived as a non-combat map that would set the story of BfNP in motion. The player would have explored his home town, talking to the Nali townsfolk, trading at the market and eventually setting out on an errand to the nearby Pan'thali Vale (recently released by fashahhh as the standalone single player map The Vale: Evelyn). A later map would have seen the player returning to his home town to find it destroyed. Because of its non-linear, free-roaming layout, Pan'thali Haven is more easily adapted for use as a multiplayer map than as a standalone single player experience.

This release also provides an opportunity to release three of the wonderful texture sets created especially for BfNP by Dušan "McFarrel" Majtás. I'm glad that some of McFarrel's efforts - one of the most productive aspects of BfNP's troubled development - can finally see the light of day.

The original map was designed to be beautiful and homely, and a prettier Nali town you are unlikely to find. This beauty comes at a cost, and the town is extremely high-poly when viewed from the waterfall, not to mention a nightmare to work with in UnrealEd! It pushes the game engine close to its node limit.

For this multiplayer conversion, I decided not to make any major changes to the layout, and I decided not to de-clutter the map by removing furniture and other obstacles. They all remain, and the hazards and obstacles in some areas provide a different sort of game experience.

I recommend playing this map as a five point Domination game, but for those of you who refuse to play Domination, a Deathmatch version is included as well.

Additional work carried out specifically for this release:
- Added a fairly basic church interior for multiplayer use (the only part of the original map that had not been completed);
- Comprehensive placement of weapons, items and player starts;
- Extensive location tagging for team communications;
- Full bot pathing (they can do most things you would want them to do, except jump down from the aqueduct into the lake; I did try pathing them to do this, and it worked, but I couldn't stop them trying to translocate back up again, which is impossible, so I took it out)

Not so Frequently Asked Question

Q: I don't see all five control points on my HUD. What can I do?

A: Decrease the HUD size in your HUD settings.

Technical Issues

You can jump through all of the low metal railings. This is a gameplay decision rather than an error.

Bots' ability to get down from the aqueduct and orator's house without killing themselves is limited.

Slowdowns are likely when viewing the whole town from the waterfall.

You may encounter very occasional visual or collision glitches, although I have eliminated most of these.

The doors were originally designed to swing open. Most have now been changed to sliding doors for smoother gameplay, but this occasionally produces visual errors when doors are close to the corners of buildings.

The map has compatibility issues with some mods due to its large scale and high level of detail. For example, the large explosions / explosion chains caused by nuclear weapons in the Unreal4Ever Tournament mod will tend to cause the game to crash.

The very large file size of this download is due to McFarrel's new textures, which are mapped to 25% of their actual size, providing a higher texture resolution (e.g. a texture mapped without scaling to a 256x256 surface is actually a 512x512 image).
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: [RELEASED] DOM/DM-HomeTown (Pan'thali Haven)

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020, 02:01

It's absolutely gorgeous and feels like it could be a real village. I love it, thank you for the release!

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020, 04:12

Holy shit, what a fantastic surprise!

If you need a place to host images, imgur.com is probably the best bet these days, by the way. And hope all is well on your end!

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020, 10:02

Buff Skeleton wrote:Holy shit, what a fantastic surprise!

If you need a place to host images, imgur.com is probably the best bet these days, by the way. And hope all is well on your end!

Thanks for the tip Waff (I'm so stuck in the past, it feels wrong to call you anything else).

The reason this release has appeared now is that my son and I have been in quarantine after travelling abroad. We've both been playing a certain amount of UT lately anyway, and brushing up this map seemed a good way to pass the time!

I was holding onto the texture sets to release with an SP project I was working on a few years ago, but as that has struggled to regain any momentum lately it seemed selfish not to release them into the wider world.

User avatar fashahhh
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020, 10:01

Wow this brings back some memories! :) . The level of detail is awesome. I remember having a run around the beta version and being very daunted at the task of doing the Vale map after it due to the level of detail we were all going for in BfNP. I'm a bit sad that this hasn't become an SP level but I fully understand it would be a difficult task as it was meant to be an exploration level.

As a side note, I must have had earlier versions of McFarrel's textures, some of those I wouldn't have minded using.

Great to see it released. Hope to see more BfNP stuff released in the future.

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020, 11:36

fashahhh wrote:Wow this brings back some memories! :) . The level of detail is awesome. I remember having a run around the beta version and being very daunted at the task of doing the Vale map after it due to the level of detail we were all going for in BfNP. I'm a bit sad that this hasn't become an SP level but I fully understand it would be a difficult task as it was meant to be an exploration level.

As a side note, I must have had earlier versions of McFarrel's textures, some of those I wouldn't have minded using.

Great to see it released. Hope to see more BfNP stuff released in the future.

Turned out that level of detail was unsustainable. In my more recent (abortive) mapping attempts I've sought to go back to a lower poly approach, conveying the impression with fewer brushes to work better within the engine limits (and save time).

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020, 07:29

Hellscrag wrote:(No screenshots tonight, lacking somewhere to host them!)

I use livejournal. Even a basic account allows over 100GB of storage space in a gallery.

It's a big map but doesn't seem to bog down the memory unless you're somewhere you can see a lot of the map, in-between buildings and inside them where most of the action takes place that isn't much of an issue.

Bots seem to handle the map well, they go everywhere. Looks pretty well covered at that level.

Addendum: Pathing that works great for DOM doesn't work as well for DM. There's a number of spots bots get hung up on, or just stay in one spot (which works fine when guarding a control point) until someone kills them.

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020, 09:57

That's a hell of a release! From the Redeemer spot, you may hit about 4k polygons in your view, that's crazy! :D Very impressive map, thanks a lot for sharing it, as well as these neat texture packs.
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar UnrealGecko
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020, 10:11

That definetly took a while to download with my crappy connection, but boy am I glad I did :D

Beautiful map!
Deep cover GEcko!
My work for UT99: Counter-Strike VP, DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 (from the ut99.org Xmas Contest mappack)