Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[227J] Terra Mining Region

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Kajgue
N-Team Leader N-Team Leader

Subject: [227J] Terra Mining Region

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022, 04:23

As the mineral and resource harvesting efforts of the Skaarj occupation on Na Pali expands, so do their prospects. The Terra Mining Region, once a partitioned network of Nali folk homes, villages, communities and burial sites has become a landscape under progressively vigorous, encroaching Skaarj infrastructural development to facilitate an ever starving desire for constant 'bulk' material excavation and asphyxiated by the toxic fumes of looming industrial exhaust chimneys.

Stranded humans who are scrambling to survive the surrounding territory and the adjacent terrain, and lucky (enough) to survive or avoid the nearby Skaarj game grounds may find themselves here, whether for better or for worse. Maybe salvation here is far fetched, but with all factors considered, is it even worth letting fate decide?

Meanwhile, appointed Skaarj overlord of the region, Loszos'Jajir becomes increasingly suspicious of areas they are restricted from in their own territory. Are their masters hiding something from them?

The map is an edit of the deathmatch map which comes with UGold (and originally, it came with Return to Na Pali) called DMTerra, but repurposed for a fork of Project Gryphon currently called Open World Project Gryphon that is currently being developed, and is the blanket mod which Terra Mining region runs on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87D6IJV1LEs

(Some things in the images above will be subject to improvement as time goes on)

Terra Mining Region is an open world collection of maps which can technically play out forever, as the Skaarj and their subsidiary minions can enter (and exit) the region to fulfill tasks, jobs or orders based on the whims of their commanding classes.

Players can choose to help the Nali communities, or choose to take what little they have left for themselves, possibly determining the diplomatic stances between other players, depending on how they treat the Nali (and of course, how they treat other players too)!

Credits/People involved:

Myself : Mapping/modelling/texturing/skinning

Krull0r : Various technical advice + helping me learn how to use Kismet scripting.

.:..: : Author of the Kismet scripting trigger tool

Bleeder91 : Coding

Smirftsch and the 227 team : 227, which this map can't work without

Tera : For coincidently having a very similar name and also for some design suggestions

TLX : 2d Design

AlternativeProjects : Music

Nivlek : For the original portion of the map from DMTerra

SilverWolf/83R/Buffalo Baggins/Kecko/AlternativeProjects/AlphaScout/Shivaxi : Project Gryphon

Rikia : Some good suggestions.

Andr0meda/G4lactic : Additional music and being kind enough to allow me to use their computing power to bake textures.

BlumpkinKing : Modelling

Vulpes : AI & playtesting

Sly. : Concept art and alot of feedback

Ether : Playtesting

(If i've forgotten somebody, please let me know! )

More detailed synopsis about the project:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/terra-mining ... n-synopsis

I was somewhat conflicted about making a thread about this project on this subforum or if Multiplayer Matters were going to be more eligible, as the map is very much focused for open world co-op (or maybe even open world conflict, as treating the Nali improperly may result in a bounty being put on your head which other players can claim!). There's alot not shown in the screenshots above, the open world environment is already huge despite being incomplete, but I'd rather some things being more fleshed out before sharing screenshots of said areas!
Last edited by Kajgue on 14 Sep 2023, 12:53, edited 10 times in total.
N-Team leader
The Silver Blades clan chief

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject: Re: [227J] Terra Mining Region

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022, 11:01

I think overall it fits the UnrealSP mission as it is designed as an atmospheric, authentic Na Pali place and to feature classic exploratory Unreal gameplay, while the "Multiplayer Matters" forum is more for your typical DM, MonsterHunt etc. arcade experiences that aren't really what the site is about.

As written on Discord, this looks swell! Interesting to know it's based on a DM map. I wonder how that happened. The changes must be extreme by now. I don't actually recall such a map at all...
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar Kajgue

Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022, 16:09

ividyon wrote:I think overall it fits the UnrealSP mission as it is designed as an atmospheric, authentic Na Pali place and to feature classic exploratory Unreal gameplay, while the "Multiplayer Matters" forum is more for your typical DM, MonsterHunt etc. arcade experiences that aren't really what the site is about.

Ah alright that's good, glad that it can end up fitting here. Indeed, it very much capitalizes on the exploration aspect.

ividyon wrote:As written on Discord, this looks swell! Interesting to know it's based on a DM map. I wonder how that happened. The changes must be extreme by now. I don't actually recall such a map at all...

Cheers!

DMTerra was a smallish outdoors map with a lower and higher section. That area still exists in Terra Mining Region but is heavily expanded upon. :)
N-Team leader

User avatar Kajgue

Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022, 11:33

Updated the thread post with 2 new images. :) I haven't shared much for this in a while but i've still been working on it, it just takes a while to get areas in a 'presentable' state given the scale.
N-Team leader

User avatar Kajgue

Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022, 21:31

Didn't bump the thread while linking this the other day though now i'm thinking it's worth it to do so.

But I appended the ModDB page to the thread starter, including a project synopsis and some new images. I should probably share the synopsis in this thread somewhere as well at some point, for now it's there on ModDB :)

Also, I already mentioned this on USP discord, but for anyone not there:

The mod was able to get featured on the front page reel for a short time :) I don't know what the criteria is for a mod reaching that area but it was really really neat to see that get shown on the front page!

Feel free to check it out! https://www.moddb.com/mods/terra-mining-region
N-Team leader

User avatar Kajgue

Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023, 22:29

Haven't shared many new things on this project thread here for a while, takes quite a while to show something slightly more 'concrete', and will hold off before appending new screenshots to the starting post until I have something more along those lines to share. But here's a newer animation timeline of one of the re-animated playermodels.

https://youtu.be/D01cEzCAavs

Sticking with Skeletal meshes which animate in this project. The backpack is an attachable which can be equipped and un-equipped, and is weighted to the same armature as the model itself. Armour, helmets, field dressings and other items will also work the same way.

Also here are some very early shots of an abandoned estate house.

Still missing the attic, basement, furniture and the surrounding area is still rather desolate, adding more to it over time but was quite pleased with how the building itself looks in Unreal.

And finally here's some unoptimized foliage.

N-Team leader

User avatar Kajgue

Post Posted: 14 Sep 2023, 12:53

Same area as one of the woodland shots above but updated.
N-Team leader