UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

A Friend In Need

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Aspide
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject: A Friend In Need

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021, 04:07

This version of the campaign has become obsolete, to get the newest version go to the link here:
Link: https://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=78411#p78411
Last edited by Aspide on 25 Dec 2022, 05:23, edited 5 times in total.
Somewhere in Nevada...

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: Re: A Friend In Need

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021, 19:45

The scale is pretty impressive and lets you move around easily despite the large number of enemies. Good use of the Upak weapons, too. Nicely done! :tup:

User avatar Aspide

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021, 19:53

Thanks, make sure to play in all difficulties (especially Unreal), the experience changes dramatically.
Somewhere in Nevada...

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021, 21:04

Not managed to play this so far - zip is missing OldModels.u, u2rtnp.u, Marine.uax (for UT99/non U-Gold users) which I grabbed but now it says that u2rtnp is missing "Eggs"...

[EDIT:]
Turns out the version of u2rtnp.u I needed is actually included with RTNP Ultimate Edition, works - now UpakFonts.utx, UpakFire.utx, RTNPUE_Skins (can't find this in the RTNPUE archive? [EDIT:] you need the HD edition of RTNPUE :rolleyes: ) and AdvancedModelSupport.u is missing

TLDR to other players: make sure you have at least the RTNPUE (HD) archive handy.

However,

Always check your dependencies before release - should *never* have to rely on players having other packs etc installed for yours to work - just makes for a frustrating time which could turn someone off before they've even got to play the thing!

User avatar Aspide

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021, 21:27

Sorry, I double-check all the dependencies but left one out, I must have confused u2rtnp.u with u97rtnpue.u when I checked the dependencies. Thanks SteadZ, now the problem has been fixed.
Somewhere in Nevada...

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021, 21:37

Awesome! I will play this when I have time!

User avatar Aspide

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2021, 21:48

Wow, there were many files missing. I'm never using RTNP content for UT99 again. :x

Edit: The Upak.u file from RTNP:UE requires OldSkool Amp'd, this is something I was trying to avoid but unfortunately is not possible to fix. I'm deeply sorry.

It's funny I only wanted to use the weapons and creatures from Upak.u, and now OldSkool Amp'd is a requirement.
Somewhere in Nevada...

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021, 02:59

I'm nearly through Map 2. So far this has been really fun! I just beat...

► Show Spoiler

Really surprised by the prolific use of certain wildlife in unconventional spots, and the RTNP weapons are actually very enjoyable to use on such large enemy numbers.

I've got a few hang ups (doors and combat mostly, heh) but so far no problems. Though, there was a waterway secret in the 2nd level (the slime tunnel, actually) where I found the horde of weapons. A second swimmable path led out of there but I came to a dead end that seemed to continue onward, but my flashlight beam halted as if colliding with a actor and an unseen force prevented me from continuing.

User avatar Aspide

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021, 03:09

Well done, you've found the secret arsenal in map 2. That second swimmable path is actually an exit to the next map, after the final fight the exit becomes available. Also if you 'ghost' through that unseen force, you'll find an easter egg :) .
Somewhere in Nevada...

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021, 17:22

Completed!

I must say the combat is a highlight. Right out of the starting gate...

► Show Spoiler

I can see where the Tashara's Cove inspiration comes into play and I would have to agree with your mission statement that this is a sort of spiritual successor to Cove. Something about sticking around in a single spot for a good chunk of time, picking off enemies and luring them to your private killzone is very reminiscent of early Cove for me. I also got a strong sense of Waffnuffly's/Buff Skeleton's approach to location and combat in here too. Elements of Attacked! and Palace of Chizra especially.

This is also the first time in a long time that I enjoyed using the RTNP weapons. The Grenade Launcher was pretty much my go to for most of the level, but I think A Friend In Need makes a strong case for the Rocket Launcher as well. It also really helped to include all of them right at the beginning to give that UMS Marine vibe for Stardust. I know the story did not really dictate hints on Stardust beyond origin and associations, but I played the short campaign as a female.

I loaded up the second download version and played on Unreal Gold 227i, had no issues with files on my end. I especially liked that you revived the Quake style intro that several classic Unreal maps/packs emulated as well, though yours may have been more thorough. Nice touch :tup: I definitely missed some of the easer eggs and secrets, but I did find some important ones. The gun horde being the most crucial, but I also nabbed at least one DP powerup and found the Amplifier (though...I forgot to use it).

Some things people might be nit picky about and if a review was written for the site (I'd be happy to do one if you give me some time) I can tell you that the CAST will go very well, but the BUILD might not. For my pov I noticed odd texture application, though mostly in Map1 and 3. There's also the matter of timed doors and enemies and fighting that played a big part for me. While enemies can thankfully open said doors to pursue me (not a repeat of a particular level from original Zephon I can think of), since a lot of my preferred attacks revolved around splash damage and doors opened/closed slowly usually with a open out and shut sequence, there was a lot of managing doorways for some interior shootouts. I do think the design of the architecture and level space is quite fine for the gameplay, however. It was nice to have a large place to battle in for the most part, and some of the major fights were truly well put together. Then again, you did some nasty stuff to me too :o

► Show Spoiler

Also, the story was very well done and written. Some logs get long of course but there's the Translator window size increase option. I really liked the approach to the intro, where Stardust has already pre-gamed their insertion with log entries and the player is rereading their own notes to get a sense of what they are doing. I also really enjoyed your characterizations, the Krall characters especially.

► Show Spoiler

Great job Aspide :tup: :tup:

User avatar Aspide

Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021, 19:37

Thanks Mister_Prophet, I'm glad you enjoy it, make sure to play in Unreal difficulty and find all the secrets. :B

Mister_Prophet wrote: I can see where the Tashara's Cove inspiration comes into play and I would have to agree with your mission statement that this is a sort of spiritual successor to Cove.

I have played so many sp campaigns that there must be elements of many campaigns that I didn't mention. Now that I think about it, Xidia and Seven Bullets must have inspired me to flesh out the characters.

Mister_Prophet wrote: I know the story did not really dictate hints on Stardust beyond origin and associations, but I played the short campaign as a female.

I did that intentionally, the character of Stardust has some characteristics of his/her own, but the players fill the empty gaps of the character.

Mister_Prophet wrote:Some things people might be nit picky about and if a review was written for the site (I'd be happy to do one if you give me some time) I can tell you that the CAST will go very well, but the BUILD might not.

Please, I would be delighted for a review, especially with complains, because I want to learn from my mistakes. I agree that brush work and textures aren't the best, this is actually my first mapping project (if you don't count MRCTF-RingsofSaturn, but that map was made with the bare minimum knowledge of brush work, however I'm still happy with how it turned out :D )

Mister_Prophet wrote:There's also the matter of timed doors and enemies and fighting that played a big part for me.

I originally wanted the doors to be TriggerControl instead of TriggerOpenTimed, but the monsters of Unreal don't understand TriggerControl, shame...

► Show Spoiler
Somewhere in Nevada...

User avatar Aspide

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021, 18:21

Hello everyone, I made a new patch that includes all files required to play in UT99. Including OldSkool Amp'd and Oldmodels.
Somewhere in Nevada...

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021, 23:44

Thank you for the shout-out for Tashara's Cove. I feel I owe it to you to play this at some point!

I don't have much time for games these days, though, so it may take a while. :shy:
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021, 18:34

Hellscrag wrote:Thank you for the shout-out for Tashara's Cove. I feel I owe it to you to play this at some point!

I don't have much time for games these days, though, so it may take a while. :shy:

No time?.. Very familiar.. unfortunately.. :/
Will download tho "for future use"..
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Aspide

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022, 09:45

Hello everyone, after a year since the release of my first mapping project (this one), I decided to make a patch to fix some annoyances with this campaign, this patch will be a replacement of the original version and therefore all files of the original release will become obsolete. If anyone has issues with this campaign (besides the ones mentioned underneath) I'll be happy to hear them.

This is a list of what this patch will fix:
1) All content from RTNP will be in a separate file.
2) Fixes to UT99 counterparts of RTNP weapons for online play.
3) Reduce the size of some of the music files.
4) Fix bugs with some mylevel actors.
5) Improve texture alignment.

With all these fixes, this campaign will be playable in Unreal and UT99 without any special requirements making it very easy to install and play.
Somewhere in Nevada...

Next