UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

The Descent: An UnrealSP Collaborative Adventure!

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar SteadZ
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: Re: The Descent: An UnrealSP Collaborative Adventure!

Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020, 22:03

Woah, we're halfway there!
That's right, there's just under 3 weeks until the end of the collaboration period ending on January 1st, after which I will expect to recieve all submissions sent either via private messaging here on the forums or on Discord!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what approach people have taken to their segements, and you can see a selection of WIP screenshots that have already been shared in the Discord channel below:

► Show Spoiler

Also a big thank-you to Krull0r for donating some custom footstep sounds to be included in the final package to allow for a dynamic footstepping experience a la ONP!

If you still want to join in, it's not too late (I only made a start on my segment yesterday(!)) just make sure you're finished by January 1st :D

jammer64
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020, 13:10

I get quite strong Quake 2 vibes from the shots :) Drill machine is really cool with the use of mesh :)

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020, 00:51

Hey all,

because of the untimely timing of this event (aka: the busiest time of the year) I have granted an additional 3 weeks for everyone to complete their segments by.

So to be clear - the new closing date of the event is 22nd January - I'll expect to have all entries sent to me by then! :D

As I said in my previous post, this is looking to be a great collection of maps and I am overwhelmed by the positive response this collaboration has received which shows SP modding isn't dead yet!

Let's make an awesome start to 2021!

~SZ

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020, 03:56

Awesome project and promising progress! I really hope you make it Co-op ready (no spawn issues, etc). I'd love to try these with my Co-op buddies.

Please make sure the maps have proper lighting. Unreal still looks beautiful with proper lighting, but if lighting is poorly implemented, it can make great mapping go to waste, because the game just doesn't feel right then.

What about the foes? You intend to keep them stock Unreal? I hope you keep the AI at normal Unreal level and consistent through out the map-pack.

Can't wait to see the result.

User avatar Pla

Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020, 17:03

Yes, I think, making it "coop-ready" is crucial.
I personally make it coop-ready - I encurage eveybody to make it also.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020, 22:53

I can confirm that all submissions will be tested for optimum co-op capability and from what I've seen of people's shots so far lighting looks to be done very tastefully and should whet your apetite for atmosphere nicely!

As for gameplay, I think there will be a diverse mix of puzzle, exploration and combat based maps and I will do my best as the Curator to sort them into some semblance of a satisfying/balanced gameplay progression ;)

~SZ

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020, 18:57

Fantastic! I'm looking forward to the results.

User avatar Pla

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021, 01:12

Happy New Year to EveryOne! Best wishes to 2021!

nikosv
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021, 23:15

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your contributions to the project! We're at our now extended deadline for submissions, with a whopping ten entries making it in. At this point, collaboration is key. Please join us on the Discord channel to discuss next steps. I think we could all contribute gameplay features, writing, and other tweaks to the story we've cobbled together. If you feel like your map was lacking in any aspects, feel free to ask the other members for help and we can pass the appropriate files along.

SteadZ and I are working on the opening and closing maps to tie this whole thing together, so there's a bit of time to make these improvements to the present maps. The Discord is also helpful for brainstorming, I would love to have a couple of voice sessions with as many of you as possible so this can both see an expedient release while also being the best it can be.
Current Project: None. WTFs2 had to go to sleep, RIP.

I still sometimes sculpt PS2-style terrain by hand with Blender 3. Some passions always linger.

User avatar Psychomorph
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021, 22:31

I have played many map-packs these years and one thing that has often been an issue in terms of flow and fun are the Unreal doors and lifts. The doors auto close and in different map-packs the lifts are either too jumpy, to fast, or don't stay up long enough, go back down and remain irretrievable sometimes, because there's no button on top, etc.

Since this is a new map-pack, you have a chance to set things right, and since this is a community project, this is something I hope you will get uniform through out the maps.

Personally, I'd with any door would open and close on player input (button, run into to open/run into to close), so you open it and it stays open and doesn't close in front of you when you are fighting. Same goes for lifts, I'd prefer them to go up on button press and remain up and be recalled by a button press again. Also the lift speed should be balanced, smooth start, fast travel, smooth stop.

An issue is that in UT co-op, the AI can see you you through movers. With auto closing doors you often have to run into the door to open it over again, while the door is being fired at by rocket Skaarj troopers. Not great smooth gameplay. Hence I'd with you could permanently open any door or gate, so you can at least fight unobstructed.
This is a UT player class issue, so nothing can be done about it by the map makers, but at least better functioning doors could help.

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021, 22:41

Darn it, I can't believe I missed this!!

I love the concept! Looks like there's a lot of people involved too!

Oh well, it's not like I don't have something else to finish first..!

Looking forward to the release of this collaborative adventure :)
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar SteadZ

Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021, 23:13

Oh wow, hey Sat - good to see you're still around!

You did miss out on this one unfortunately but there's every possibility that we'll be having something similar again in the not too distant future :D

Shouldn't be tooo long now until a release is ready...

did somebody say "April Fool's"?!

User avatar Sat42

Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021, 10:20

SteadZ wrote:Oh wow, hey Sat - good to see you're still around!

You did miss out on this one unfortunately but there's every possibility that we'll be having something similar again in the not too distant future :D

Shouldn't be tooo long now until a release is ready...

did somebody say "April Fool's"?!

And it's good to see you're still really active, SteadZ! :)

Definitely hope to catch that next event when it comes :P

Meanwhile I'm gonna enjoy playing this descent into madness for sure! :D
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

Previous