A random sentence for a random mind.

[Released] UT99 and Unreal HD Skins V3.1 [UT] [227]

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject: [Released] UT99 and Unreal HD Skins V3.1 [UT] [227]

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020, 19:53

Developer: Lightning Hunter

https://youtu.be/bTF1fGzzeME

Synopsis:
An Unreal227/UT99 High-resolution skins mutator.

Features:
This mutator replaces those old, blurry Unreal/UT99/RTNP skins with detailed, high-res versions. The primary goal of this project was to keep the skins looking as faithful as possible, while removing the obvious outdated "pixelation" of the original skins. In order to achieve this, each skin has been manually reworked. There has been no simple filters or cheesy sharpening techniques used during the skinning process. Each skin has been manually air-brushed and blended. Hundreds of layers were created to apply overlay detail textures, better looking shadows, better highlights, and more. The end result is faithful skins that look almost the same from a distance, but far more detailed up-close. In the case of bigger meshes like the Titan, detail is evident even when viewed from a distance. The skins have all been done in either 1k, 2k, or 4k, depending on the size of the model.

With the new Version 3 release, ALL skins of Unreal Tournament, Unreal, and RTNP are included! In addition to this, many custom Skins from popular single player maps are also included! If that wasn't enough, the longstanding FOV issue of the weapons in widescreen is FIXED. No more ginormous Redeemer! The new version 3.1 has a mod window that can enable/disable this feature. Some of the previous HD Unreal skins have also been updated for this release, and an optional "random HD armor" mod is included for UT99.

Supported Custom Maps/Packs for HD content:

7 Bullets
Xidia Gold
Operation Na Pali
Project Zephon
Strange World
Déjà Vu – Gryphon Revisited
Interloper (only one Skaarj skin currently)

See the readme file for more credits and installation instructions! I also recommend getting the new HD4K Extreme Resolution textures by Ahaigh01, which look great when combined with these Skins.

DOWNLOAD

ALSO TRY THIS: Return To Na Pali: Ultimate Edition v1.1 HD
Last edited by Lightning Hunter on 06 Nov 2020, 07:22, edited 3 times in total.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

Subject: Re: [Released] UT99 and Unreal HD Skins V3 [UT] [227]

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020, 19:58

So yeah, I have been sort of neglecting to post about the latest releases of my project over here at good ol' UnrealSP.org the last year or so... I didn't even make a thread about the last big V2 release, which had all the Unreal player skins, among many other improvements. Anyway, I hope everyone here is doing well and enjoys my new UT99 skins!

User avatar AlCapowned

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020, 20:13

Oh wow, support for the big mods too? Very impressive!

Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020, 20:16

AlCapowned wrote:Oh wow, support for mods too? Very impressive!

I actually had a lot of the HD skins completed for various mods long ago (Deja Vu for example), but there was never any known way to actually get them to work in-game. I have since figured out how to code a mutator thanks to the help of yrex that can replace MyLevel skins. Pretty much every well-known mod with custom skins is covered by the new mutator. I hope Mr. Prophet stumbles on this thread, since a majority of the skins are his (especially all the 7Bullets and Xidia weapons). I am curious what he thinks of the new HD counterparts.
Last edited by Lightning Hunter on 29 Oct 2020, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020, 02:20

This is awesome. Outstanding work LH!

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020, 08:51

Mister_Prophet wrote:This is awesome. Outstanding work LH!

Thanks! I am also looking forward to seeing what your new project will be!

jammer64
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020, 18:15

Pure gold! <3

What format textures are? I get occasional Virtual Memory Error so I guess they're not S3TC.

Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020, 21:07

jammer64 wrote:Pure gold! <3

What format textures are? I get occasional Virtual Memory Error so I guess they're not S3TC.

I'm guessing you are using the S3TC world textures on top of these? The format of the textures does not actually cause the crashes. It is the memory used by UnrealTournament.exe that causes them. I actually have a whole section about this error in the trouble shooting of the readme file and the moddb page, which I will copy/paste here for you. Basically, if you aren't using the 469 patch (which I highly recommend), windows has a 2GB limit on older applications before they crash. You will exceed that often with the 4k S3TC world textures by Ahaigh/Diehard alongside my newest Skins mutator. The 469 patch turns on "memory aware mode" which gives the game a 4GB limit instead of 2GB. Anyway, here is from my FAQ:

Virtual Memory error crash: Some user-made maps have a LOT of skins and textures. When this pack is used alongside Ahaigh01's texture pack, it's possible some maps will crash with a "Virtual Memory" error with too much saving/loading. If this happens frequently, follow these steps:

UT99: The best way to eliminate this error is to just download the fan-made version 469 patch. The other method is to make sure you are using Ahaigh's HD4k Extreme Resolution V3 Alongside the DirectX11 renderer. If someone out there is dead-set on using the old UTGLR renderer with UT99 version 436, then I would suggest downloading the Low Quality HD Skins pack instead.

A less effective solution for the UTGLR renderer is to open 'UnrealTournament.ini' located in UnrealTournament\System folder and search for 'UsePrecache'. Set this to 'True'. Also, search for 'CacheSizeMegs', and set it to '8'. Turning this number up higher will cause MORE virtual memory error crashes! You need to keep it low.
Unreal Gold: Open 'Unreal.ini' located in Unreal\System folder and search for 'UsePrecache'. Set this to 'True'. Also, search for 'CacheSizeMegs', and set it to '8'. Turning this number up higher will cause MORE virtual memory error crashes! You need to keep it low.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020, 00:03

Does UT469 do anything extra to fix that or could you just apply the 4GB aware patch to the old UT exe?: https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Edit: Don't have any HD textures to "stress test" with but I applied this to the old UT exe and it seems to have worked fine.
Formerly Mman

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020, 00:53

Semfry wrote:Does UT469 do anything extra to fix that or could you just apply the 4GB aware patch to the old UT exe?: https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Edit: Don't have any HD textures to "stress test" with but I applied this to the old UT exe and it seems to have worked fine.

Seriously, HOW did you find this? It actually works! Ahaigh01 (the guy who has since taken over the S3TC project) and I were picking our brains trying to solve the virtual memory issue about 6 months ago, and I literally delayed the release of my mutator for months while we waited for the 469 patch to fix the 2gb limit. Nobody I encountered in the Unreal community knew how to fix this issue, and I searched the depths of Google to find a solution but never found one. While we waited for the 469 patch, the DX11 renderer came out which allowed textures to be loaded from the video card memory (which reduced the memory used by the app and helped with the crashes), so that gave us another alternative.

Thank you for pointing out this incredible little patch. I will immediately offer this on my Moddb page as another alternative for people who don't want to use the DX11 renderer or the 469 patch (which admittedly still has a few bugs they are ironing out).

You rock! \o/

AHaigh01
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020, 01:06

Well that 4gb patch is a great find! I'm going to test it out on 436 under HD stress test conditions right now.

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020, 01:07

"4GB aware patch" should find it right away. It considered basically mandatory for modding stuff like Betheda open-world games where people frequently throw together tons of memory devouring mods (along with it's base demands being much higher than Unreal) and the game doesn't have it by default.
Formerly Mman

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020, 01:41

Semfry wrote:"4GB aware patch" should find it right away. It considered basically mandatory for modding stuff like Betheda open-world games where people frequently throw together tons of memory devouring mods (along with it's base demands being much higher than Unreal) and the game doesn't have it by default.

Hah, I thought I searched those very same words, but it's possible I added "Unreal" to that search and turned up nothing. Honestly, I don't think anyone in the Unreal community has discovered this patch, or they kept it to themselves if they did. It's kind of a relief that I don't have to force people to download the 469 patch or the DX11 renderer.

Edit: Now I actually turn up that patch for almost every search I do. It's possible I overlooked that link, because I somehow thought it would not work with Unreal Tournament. If only one thread or message existed out there (like this one) connecting the dots, I would have figured it out!

jammer64
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020, 10:13

Is 469 build safe to install without disrupting things compatible with 436?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020, 10:41

jammer64 wrote:Is 469 build safe to install without disrupting things compatible with 436?

EXU2 stuff don't seem to work so far, that means it also breaks G59 and Xeops. It'll probably break other mods.
ImageImage

Next