Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

[Unreal 227J] The One

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Turboman
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: [Unreal 227J] The One

Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020, 23:22

Developer: Turboman
Image Image
Image Image

Synopsis: The One is a small/medium-sized mappack for the upcoming Oldunreal 227J patch, inspired by classic unreal community maps such as Nali Cove, One Day or Tashara’s Cove, utilizing 227J’s latest features.
Welcome to the island of K’tharia, where the Nali have established a peaceful haven free from oppression. Unfortunately the island holds a dark secret, an ancient deity demanding a sacrifice. Unfortunate victims are drawn to the underground, never to be seen again. Unfortunately for you, you are about to become the latest victim…

Features:
  • Utilizes new 227J features and effects such as emitters, distance fog, staticmeshes, weather.
  • Explore 5 maps set on the island and the underground ruins beneath.
  • Face new variations of classic unreal enemies (a few courtesy of Qtit)
  • Meet other survivors and friendly natives, including dialogue (silent protagonist style)
  • Wield two new weapons, including a grapple-gun and a homing blade.

Latest News:
Currently the mappack is almost (99%) complete, but there’s a few things that urgently need to be done in order for it to bereleased, I’m not going to promise any date because it depends on a few things:
  • I need to wait for the final 227J release, no use in releasing it when only a few people can play it, plus many features are still subject to change and the mappack can still break from the current to final 227 release.
  • I need to add voice acting, I’m looking for anyone interested in helping out, otherwise it’s just me and Microsoft Sam.
  • Real Life, while I’m REALLY REALLY close I can still disappear for months in a row because you know, Real Life.

Links:
Oldunreal
Moddb
Youtube

UPDATE! The One is finally released!
Moddb download
Last edited by Turboman on 03 Nov 2022, 10:55, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Re: [Unreal 227J] The One

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020, 22:19

Turbo, I have missed you my friend :)

I would have been worried about tying myself to the 227 patch but you've been here before with Firestorm. Only advice I'd give on voice acting is...if at all possible, consider how hard it would be to reverse action the story elements that NEED it into a functional alternative and then weigh that against how difficult you think it will be to record and mix agreeable voice talent for Unreal in 2020. If you think it's better to go forward then trust your own judgement, the best talent I ever worked with was Zynthetic but I don't regularly keep in touch and I do not know his availability. He is the only one I can suggest.

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020, 23:29

Alternatively it could be just plain text and let the maps do the talking.
M'nali

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020, 23:32

Diego96 wrote:Alternatively it could be just plain text and let the maps do the talking.

This. VA is unneeded in Unreal for a compelling story. Once again, don't go overambitious, keep things simple - you're pleasing a relatively small community.
ImageImage

User avatar Preki
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020, 17:46

I second this. Every single voice acting effort in Unreal mods turned out to be cheesy, especially in cutscenes due to lack of proper facial animation. And the worst example that comes to mind is Operation: Na Pali in which the protagonist sounds like a dumbass talking to himself most of the time, effectively depriving the mappack form any form of seriousness. Scripted sequences (not cutscenes) and translator messages are one of things that made Unreal so great, after all.

As of the mod itself - by the Nali gods, no wonder you had to put Firestorm on hold, this is even better than JazzyB's Skaarj maps from Interloper.

User avatar Turboman

Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020, 11:47

UBerserker wrote:
Diego96 wrote:Alternatively it could be just plain text and let the maps do the talking.

This. VA is unneeded in Unreal for a compelling story. Once again, don't go overambitious, keep things simple - you're pleasing a relatively small community.

Point taken there, but the narrative has already been completed with these characters in mind, it's nothing big and fancy. Just brainless NPC's in need of help, spouting out one-liners, think of Chronicles of Weedrow vol. 1 to get an idea. I just thought it'd be better for them to say at least a generic sentence or two instead of doing the good ole BEEP BOOP BLIEP unreal message broadcast sound. I do not intend to create Shakespearean monologues that go on for hours.

Preki wrote:I second this. Every single voice acting effort in Unreal mods turned out to be cheesy, especially in cutscenes due to lack of proper facial animation. And the worst example that comes to mind is Operation: Na Pali in which the protagonist sounds like a dumbass talking to himself most of the time, effectively depriving the mappack form any form of seriousness. Scripted sequences (not cutscenes) and translator messages are one of things that made Unreal so great, after all.

There isn't much else to be concerned about, the protagonist won't EVER speak a word, as far as cutscenes go, there will be very rare situations where the player's control will be interrupted for a brief moment to establish a story detail, i personally think i really tucked these away nicely without being too obnoxiously un-unrealish (for example a big plot driver are a certain amount of dreams the player will receive from the ancient deity trying to enslave you) :)

Preki wrote:As of the mod itself - by the Nali gods, no wonder you had to put Firestorm on hold, this is even better than JazzyB's Skaarj maps from Interloper.

Yeah actually putting FS on hold is a story on it's own, lets just say that for the last few years (nearly a decade now) i've been struggling with some things IRL that i had to completely abandon unreal, but I've been itching to return and do something again! :o

radios
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020, 20:06

Turboman wrote:
UBerserker wrote:

Yeah actually putting FS on hold is a story on it's own, lets just say that for the last few years (nearly a decade now) i've been struggling with some things IRL that i had to completely abandon unreal, but I've been itching to return and do something again! :o
a decade is a very long time, :( hopefully advances in medicine will be able to cure you :)

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020, 20:58

Oh boy.. would look forward seeing this. I have been out of touch with the community for a few years now, but the screens look promising. Specially since this is coming from Turboman. (did Firestorm ever get released?.. can't find it here...)
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Turboman

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022, 02:21

The One is finally released! download link available in the updated main post :)

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022, 03:52

This campaign is a fantastic achievement. I tip my hat to Turboman for making this happen. Play testing this was an absolute delight!

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022, 10:45

This has some of the most impressive scripted sequences in Unreal to date, and the execution of the final boss genuinely lives up to the setup. This is an excellent pack!

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022, 15:32

Good news: Downloaded! \o/
Bad news: Now see if I can find some time for it.. haven't played Unreal in.. well.. too long.
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Preki
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022, 15:39

So uhh... where do I even begin?

I had quite average expectations for this one - just another map pack with lots of eye candy and custom weapons thrown into it. But the actual experience just blew those expectations away. This is not an ordinary map pack, although it might seem to be that way in the beginning. No Unreal modder has ever tried that pseudo-open world design before, and while both Project Xenome packs or the most recent The Descent are cool in their own terms, these feature classic level-by-level progression. In The One I was shocked to discover that upon completing a level I'm thrown back into a humonguous hub area, constantly discovering new places within it - every nook and cranny hides some stuff. I remember being blown away by the huge scale of maps in Interloper, but this is just another league. All those beautiful vistas are not just for the sake of looking pretty in the distance - you can actually go there most of the times, it's like... NyLeve Falls of the original Unreal up to eleven. In the first minutes of my playthrough I was running like a headless chicken trying to find a way to proceed further or acquire any weapon. Combat is quite sparse so far, but encountering those packs of Krall or bosses are really tense moments that keep you on your toes. But even the exploration feels very satysfying for reasons mentioned above, I can see some huge influence from Triamid Ruins here. And that variable weather and day/night cycle - HO-LY SHIT! What's that magic? Turboman, I'm starting to feel afraid that Firestorm is not gonna live up our expectations after witnessing The One :D Lol just kidding, keep up the good work!

Hell, I'm gonna say something really far-fetched, but The One is how Unreal II should've been like! I can't wait to play more of this, in between doing my day job, playing Gran Turismo 4 or working on a project of mine (non-Unreal related).

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022, 17:28

I'm stuck in the Underground.

► Show Spoiler

Thanks!
Life is what you make of it.

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022, 18:53

I think I randomly stumbled upon all of them. You just need to keep walking.
► Show Spoiler
M'nali

Next