This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

ut99.org AWESOME MAPPING CONTEST is coming next month

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject: ut99.org AWESOME MAPPING CONTEST is coming next month

Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018, 01:34

1) Sorry I've not been around for awhile, my computer died... and is still dead.

2) Whether you're taking part in the AWESOME MAPPING CONTEST or not, it's a chance to get new maps and that's ALWAYS a good thing.

Official thread is here · https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12958

Screenshot unrelated but from a previous ut99.org mapping contest:

User avatar papercoffee
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject: Re: ut99.org AWESOME MAPPING CONTEST is coming next month

Post Posted: 26 Sep 2018, 17:43

Thank you EG.

current Participants:
XaNKoNII
makemeunreal
PrinceOfFunky
Gustavo6046
SteadZ
ExpEM
Virgile
Tyr
Krull0r
Le Impact Frag
Terraniux
'Zac
KingJosh
SilverSound
Swanky (?)
Feralidragon (?)
UnrealGGecko (?)
papercoffee (?)

Those with (?) are not confirmed right now. But this can change.
I got the suggestion to ask you guys here for judging those maps.
Would you be interested?
Last edited by papercoffee on 29 Sep 2018, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018, 02:15

Hey guys please consider donating a bit of time and giving some honest reviews/judging when this goes to a vote. There are literally years of the highest caliber map discussions here and I've always seen honest (even when it's harsh) criticism.

I posted the opinion that letting the public vote gives a distinct and unfair advantage to boring DM maps because people understand those and many play no other gametype. They won't truly consider a gametype they don't have knowledge of and they aren't going to take the time to try.

paper and I did a very new concept map last contest and it fell with a thud. No one got at all the idea behind it and the new concepts being used, instead the discussion centered on bot support :eyeroll: Even after a detailed explanation it didn't matter and we ended up pulling out.

Please help the entries rise from mediocrity. Having a selection of you do the actual judging gives credence to the fact that this contest is legit and new work will be correctly scored.

Thank you for considering.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018, 10:28

Is the size limit really necessary? I mean it isn't the first decade of 2000 anymore.
ImageImage

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018, 15:20

Intersting...

User avatar Hellkeeper
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018, 12:09

UBerserker wrote:Is the size limit really necessary? I mean it isn't the first decade of 2000 anymore.

Personally, I take downloading a map pack as a gamble each time, as there's a fair chance half the maps in will not be to my taste. If the pack is huge and takes more than a few seconds to download; or if there are tons of files I need to install without an easy way for me to understand which map needs which files, I probably won't bother.
Size is maybe an abstract way to enforce this, though, I think a good rule would be to have all resources inside the maps' mylevel, or as few files as possible, but it would be much harder to find a agreed-upon rule. A size limit seems fine tome.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018, 15:39

Hellkeeper wrote:
UBerserker wrote:Is the size limit really necessary? I mean it isn't the first decade of 2000 anymore.

Personally, I take downloading a map pack as a gamble each time, as there's a fair chance half the maps in will not be to my taste. If the pack is huge and takes more than a few seconds to download; or if there are tons of files I need to install without an easy way for me to understand which map needs which files, I probably won't bother.
Size is maybe an abstract way to enforce this, though, I think a good rule would be to have all resources inside the maps' mylevel, or as few files as possible, but it would be much harder to find a agreed-upon rule. A size limit seems fine tome.

I mean Xeops that I have released is over 200mb just because of the texture pack size. Personally it's a huge restriction.
The matter of size is a thing of the past with today's internet tech.
ImageImage

User avatar papercoffee
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018, 00:13

Edited the participants list.
@UBerserker
Imagine all those people would make a map around 100MB
The map pack would become 1,9GB huge ...no one would download this. Not for UT.
Well, I wouldn't
75MB is very large already. I know not everyone will reach this limit, maybe Feralidragon... depends on what packages he is cooking up for his map.

gopostal wrote:I posted the opinion that letting the public vote gives a distinct and unfair advantage to boring DM maps because people understand those and many play no other gametype. They won't truly consider a gametype they don't have knowledge of and they aren't going to take the time to try.

We will still have the Participants Vote and the Gamers Choice vote.
I plan to implement the Judges to be part of the Participants Vote even so they didn't submit a map. And maybe give them more points they can distribute.
(This time I want to have a clear winner)
The Gamers Choice is just a marginal voting where the community can decide which map they liked the most. But the GC vote isn't to declare the winner of the contest.