UnrealSP.org, now with 100% more Web 2.0!

Project Xenome : First Day

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar shawnd123
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010, 00:08

Lightning Hunter wrote:I actually always read the .txt file before playing an SP map. I do this, because I know many of them come with stories and background information. However, with almost everything else, I usually completely disregard the readme. :P

I usually do that as well most of the time, but the main reason why I open the readme is to see which map is the one that I open first in the pack.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010, 03:42

-Shadow- wrote:I usually do that as well most of the time, but the main reason why I open the readme is to see which map is the one that I open first in the pack.

Or you could just use the oldskool custom entries I uploaded ages ago that everyone seems to forget about, so you don't have to know which map is first ever again. :P
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010, 10:40

Used D3D9 (utd3d9r12) and YES: light at last.

The final battle is now a piece of cake. Now that I can see the Skaarj properly I didn't get that impression of being surrounded by 10 of them. Just shows the tricks the mind can play on you in darkness.

I'm sure I will be able to play the whole pack now without suffering from Vitamine A deficiency. And the cramped feeling won't be so bad anymore.

Have to catch up on some other maps first but soon I will replay this on Hard.

User avatar jazz
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010, 11:26

Or you could just use the oldskool custom entries I uploaded ages ago that everyone seems to forget about, so you don't have to know which map is first ever again.

Nice... Just realised how many unplayed packs i have downloaded.
It might be in mappers interest to know how to produce a mappack in future like you showed me LH. Failing that there is Ravens Oldskool.wiz which did'nt work for me for some reason. (Cant find the link).

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010, 02:39

Split: Image

back to topic plz... :) :tup:

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010, 13:53

Is the pack optimized for co-op play? Stakhanov and I tried to run it, but we couldn't progress through the first level since we would get stuck at the cafeteria bit. We backtracked and looked for solutions for half an hour, but ended up ghosting to the button in the administrative room... thing in order to progress. Then we got stuck on the next map, unable to find the pass code for the (impressively built!) transmission central. It may have been our own stupidity, but it seemed like some pass key messages were missing..
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar jazz

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010, 15:17

Hi sana

Unfortunately i did'nt build it for co-op. I dont really know much about co-op gameplay to be fair, i should of mentioned it in the readme but that one slipped my thoughts.

All passcodes are present, it takes a little searching on the players part. The one in the cafetaria bit is at the body via a translator on the floor at the far end of the room.
Inside the comms tower there is a clue to who may have the pass and where he/she might be via another translator message. (hint) all translator messages will be either around dead bodies or through easily accessible lap-top meshes that you see dotted around.
I'm Glad your enjoying it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010, 17:55

jazz wrote:...
All passcodes are present, it takes a little searching on the players part.

Mind you, not all progress is straightforward: get password-open door. Read the translator message carefully so that you don't miss the fact that walking is not the only way to go from one room to another :wink:

I have never played coop so my opinion in this matter is probably worthless but I can't really see why a coop game would prevent accessing the rooms in this mappack.

BTW I'm playing on Hard now - my savegame is at the begining of the second level, just when I meet up with the 2 marines outside.

TheIronKnuckle wrote:And I gave myself dual automags when I simply couldn't kill three skaarj lords with the dispersion pistol and 27 health.

I guess that's where my 2 marines last about 15 seconds and then the 3 Skaarj come after me (and I start with 100 health). I can manage to kill 1 of them before being slaughtered and I still can't see a way to get past them without some additional help. I tried retreating, tried going goind before they appear, tried going in the water (unfortunately they don't follow). What's the code to summon a Redeemer :( ?

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010, 19:41

summon warheadlauncher
ImageImage

User avatar jazz

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010, 20:04

Does'nt co-op require multiple player starts ?
If it does then after the second map there will be a problem as there is only one per level.

Ok i just tried the second level on hard. The part where there is three Skaarj Lords coming at you.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9524/shot0019v.png

This screen was taken after the fight, now look closely down at the bottom of the road, there are two bodies of Skaarj, one on the grass by the left hand side cargo container and one by the grass/shingle edge (you may need to zoom in) together with the one on your right. The more observant of you will notice that these are Skaarj Lords. Heres a hint: When they are running up the road keep shooting until they reach the top then jump in the water. Make your way to the cargo crates and use them for cover. One or two of the Skaarj will be busy with the marines leaving you with one or two to deal with, dodge in and out of the crates while taking pot shots at them. Before you know it theres only one left.
Both health packs were used and no god mode was in effect, just be quick on your feet around the crates and you wont have much of a problem. This is how i did it.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010, 20:07

UBerserker wrote:summon warheadlauncher

Thank UB, it might come in handy but I was only joking, if I can't get past those 3 Skaarj (on Hard) without cheating then I think the difficulty should be lessened a bit (after all, I am not that bad). Up to now unfortunately I haven't even had a decent chance yet and I'm still trying out other stategies.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010, 21:11

salsaSkaarj wrote:...
Up to now unfortunately I haven't even had a decent chance yet and I'm still trying out other stategies.

Changed tactics - managed to jump into the water before they teleported over, left them alone and got into the building.2 Skaarj were taken out by my marines before they were killed. Still 100 health.Savegame!

That's that, next difficulty is now getting the powercell but then I can't avoid another of those strong Skaarjtards.

I managed to kill him once, had 4 health left (and I played nearly perfectly) but now... how to get out to get some health near the teleporter with another Skaarj lurking around there. Yup, did it without losing health, but I wasn't happy (Savegame2 just in case).

Thinking to myself, jazz (and testers) really put a lot of thought into the road to take, so much that I can't imagine he expects players to have to kill everything in order to progress, especially since killing is so difficult ... so ... there must be a way to bypass that Skaarj after the powercell (BTW he has 320 health and is damn fast) and YES .... I am not going to give away everything, especially not this one because the solution is so beautiful.

But I really wanted to mention this because brute force alone will have its limits and great pleasure comes when outsmarting the enemy (granted, you might die the first time and the task will seem daunting but just as you are supposed to read the translator messages attentively, also study the surroundings and make use of them).

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010, 21:52

jazz wrote:The one in the cafetaria bit is at the body via a translator on the floor at the far end of the room.

That's what I thought. I found it a bit weird that there was a corpse with a glowing translator, but no affiliated translator message. It must be a co-op bug. :( Probably that's also why we could not progress in map 2. Are there lots of pass codes like that spread around the maps, or do you think we should continue with extensive ghosting?
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

User avatar jazz

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010, 00:33

Are there lots of pass codes like that spread around the maps, or do you think we should continue with extensive ghosting?

Hmmm ... Thats a good one, The only maps that has extensive use of passcodes is the first one and 'Sour Water' although there are others. A fact that if you come across a door with a keypad adjacent then it will use one.
Everything else should be ok apart from the player start issue, as i mentioned earlier i dont know how that will effect game play co-op wise.
These are the numbers

Intro = 0 codes
First day = 2 codes
Comms = 1 code
Metal = 1 code
Static = 1 code
water = 2 codes
Processing = 1 code
plan = 1 code
Disposal = 0 codes
Surface = 0 codes

I may have missed one or two but these are from the top of my head.
It may be worth just playing solo considering how much you may have to ghost as i believe you may miss out on a lot.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Jan 2010, 22:12

jazz wrote:...
It may be worth just playing solo ...

may?? I'ld say it's a must. I don't know what changes in coop-play but if exactly the same enemies (and number) appear then 2 players together will have a much, much easier job than one player alone.

*currently experiencing a few difficulties to mislead stubborn opponents in Oppresive Metal (on Hard)*

Previous Next