Birds fly. Sun shines. And brother? Brutes shoot people.

The Gibatorium (v2 UPDATE) - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

For public discussion of all things EXU2.

Moderator: Buff Skeleton

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 326
Joined: 25 Sep 2010, 04:32

Subject: The Gibatorium (v2 UPDATE) - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 01 May 2024, 13:08

But what the hell is it? And why the hell did they set it up on top of some old, decrepit fortress?
You know as much as we do, Pilot. Details be damned - If you're up for one more mission, this has got your name written all over it...
-
Image

NOTE: Version 2 Update Released, Changes Included:

The Gibatorium is an action-packed, multi-story site for countless variations on destruction. In this level, you can engage in multiplayer combat or try to unlock secure areas for more valuable items. And the endless loop of enemies at every level will keep things engaging!

You'll make your way out of an industrial munitions processing facility, set in an arcane location. Expect the full arsenal of Excessive Unreal 2 at your disposal: weapons, deployable items, stationary guns, environmental traps, and the juiced up enemies you know to use it all against.

Includes:
- Full EXU2 arsenal and plentiful items for use
- Extensive use of gameplay filtering: expect a different experience on each difficulty!
- EXUBarrels, maybe too many of them
- Interactive level design
- Stationary weapons
- Improvements and fixes to EXU2 via EXUMPWeapons
- Gameplay improvements via other, included optional custom mutators
- A remix to a classic UT99 song!

Requirements:
- EXU v7: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4253

Installation:
- Pick your preferred format (end of this post)
- Run the .umod file which should extract everything where needed

Play:
- Use the OldSkool console to launch a game on this map
- Or run the commands like so in the console to launch the map to your liking:

BASIC:
open exu2-ca-gibatorium][?Game=exu2bi.exu2game?difficulty=0
open exu2-ca-gibatorium][?Game=exu2bi.exu2game?difficulty=1
open exu2-ca-gibatorium][?Game=exu2bi.exu2game?difficulty=2
open exu2-ca-gibatorium][?Game=exu2bi.exu2game?difficulty=3


RECOMMENDED MUTATORS:
open exu2-ca-gibatorium][?Game=exu2bi.exu2game?difficulty=0?mutator=EXU.EXUHealthRecharger,EXU.EXUWeaponModifier,EXUMPWeapons.EXUMpReplace,PawnKillMessage.PawnKillMessage

Version 2 Update Released, Changes Included:
- Fixed critical bug wherein monsters spawn in Unreal difficulty get stuck in 'Attacking' mode without a target
- Updated lift movers to be state 'StandOpenTimed' and bumpType 'PawnType' thus deprecating the need for PawnElevatorFix mutator
- Increased inventory respawn rates for each difficulty, increasing the challenge appropriately
- Fixed several instances of Advanced Spawn System (ASS) Master objects


Links below have been updated.

Download:
- RAR: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_y7yu8 ... sp=sharing
- ZIP: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b1f8DM ... sp=sharing
- UMOD: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R-3ic6 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by jaypeezy on 11 May 2024, 20:06, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 326
Joined: 25 Sep 2010, 04:32

Subject: Re: The Gibatorium - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 01 May 2024, 13:15

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord
Posts: 926
Joined: 14 Jul 2013, 16:42
Contact:

Subject: Re: The Gibatorium - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 02 May 2024, 13:29

Looks very impressive! the first EXU2 map in a very long time :) on the to-do list...
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar Kajgue
N-Team Leader N-Team Leader
Posts: 290
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 18:07
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Subject: Re: The Gibatorium - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 02 May 2024, 14:59

Looking nice, Jaypeezy! And good to see you managed to finished this :)
N-Team leader
The Silver Blades clan chief
Image

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member
Posts: 2094
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 02:43
Location: UK
Contact:

Subject: Re: The Gibatorium - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 02 May 2024, 20:40

Is there no ending/exit?
► Show Spoiler
Formerly Mman

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 326
Joined: 25 Sep 2010, 04:32

Subject: Re: The Gibatorium - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 03 May 2024, 02:09

Semfry wrote:Is there no ending/exit?
► Show Spoiler


You're correct, basically.

► Show Spoiler

User avatar Semfry
Trustee Member Trustee Member
Posts: 2094
Joined: 12 Nov 2007, 02:43
Location: UK
Contact:

Subject: Re: The Gibatorium - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 05 May 2024, 16:19

Thanks, so it's like I guessed. Seems like it would fit some sort of survival mode but you can't really play it like that because of infinite item respawns, unless higher difficulties change that?
Formerly Mman

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 326
Joined: 25 Sep 2010, 04:32

Subject: Re: The Gibatorium - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 05 May 2024, 21:45

Semfry wrote:Thanks, so it's like I guessed. Seems like it would fit some sort of survival mode but you can't really play it like that because of infinite item respawns, unless higher difficulties change that?


I had this planned originally for Unreal difficulty but, at the moment, it's set with a higher respawn delay rather than no respawn. That said, I might revisit this map soon and re-release it due to another, related issue. So, stay away from Unreal difficulty for now! (difficulty=3)

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 326
Joined: 25 Sep 2010, 04:32

Subject: Re: The Gibatorium (v2 UPDATE) - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 11 May 2024, 20:09

I've released a V2 of this map, after identifying a few problems I wanted to fix and some suggestions too. Please refer to the download links in the original post, they have all been updated.

If you still require some convincing, I've also uploaded a playthrough map. Expect spoilers if you watch it!
https://youtu.be/BKGOgNRezCQ

User avatar Aspide
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 86
Joined: 14 May 2021, 23:08

Subject: Re: The Gibatorium (v2 UPDATE) - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 12 May 2024, 12:02

Interesting level, it's been a while since I played EXU2 and yes I'm a little rusty. This level works best in Coop, this level isn't well balanced for single player, the main issue is the enemies constantly spawning and the fact that the level doesn't tell you how the key system works (killing enemies in a specific floor gives you a unique key and all keys need to be used on the top floor), also if you don't know where the important doors are you are going to be stuck fighting countless enemies until you run out of health. This level is only balanced if you know everything about the level before you play it, so that means that players playing in SP for the first time aren't going to have a good time. Playing with the health recharger mutator helps however.

When it comes to technical issues I didn't find any bugs except for the issue with the translocator module that kills you if it is destroyed, but I blame the original EXU2 for not fixing that. Another issue is that one of the songs (the remix of Colossus) doesn't play correctly (I played in UT99 436 with the Galaxy audio driver).

Good job jaypeezy :D , this level is quite fun but playing for the first time in SP can be an annoying experience. However the EXU actors were used very well so congratulations :tup:
Somewhere in Nevada...

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 326
Joined: 25 Sep 2010, 04:32

Subject: Re: The Gibatorium (v2 UPDATE) - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 12 May 2024, 17:12

Aspide wrote:the level doesn't tell you how the key system works (killing enemies in a specific floor gives you a unique key and all keys need to be used on the top floor)


There are 'intel' books that spawn throughout the level, but only in easy difficulty. (difficulty=0)

User avatar Aspide
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior
Posts: 86
Joined: 14 May 2021, 23:08

Subject: Re: The Gibatorium (v2 UPDATE) - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 12 May 2024, 23:15

jaypeezy wrote:There are 'intel' books that spawn throughout the level, but only in easy difficulty. (difficulty=0)


WHAT!!!, translator messages only appear in Easy difficulty? , wow that was a mistake, translator messages should never have difficulty filtering because:
1) Translator messages are very important when you are playing the level for the first time, especially in a map with unique gimmicks like this one.
2) It depends on the player which difficulty they choose to play the level for the first time, some players choose Unreal difficulty, some choose Hard and some choose Medium (like me), however it's very rare for a player to choose Easy (it's like choosing I'm Too Young to Die in Doom, nobody plays in that difficulty unless you are curious).

Considering the fact that I had to open the level in the editor to find out how the level works means that adding those translator messages only in Easy was a big mistake.
Somewhere in Nevada...

User avatar jaypeezy
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker
Posts: 326
Joined: 25 Sep 2010, 04:32

Subject: Re: The Gibatorium (v2 UPDATE) - SP/DM Map for EXU2 v7

Post Posted: 17 May 2024, 18:36

Aspide wrote:
jaypeezy wrote:There are 'intel' books that spawn throughout the level, but only in easy difficulty. (difficulty=0)


WHAT!!!, translator messages only appear in Easy difficulty? , wow that was a mistake, translator messages should never have difficulty filtering because:
1) Translator messages are very important when you are playing the level for the first time, especially in a map with unique gimmicks like this one.
2) It depends on the player which difficulty they choose to play the level for the first time, some players choose Unreal difficulty, some choose Hard and some choose Medium (like me), however it's very rare for a player to choose Easy (it's like choosing I'm Too Young to Die in Doom, nobody plays in that difficulty unless you are curious).

Considering the fact that I had to open the level in the editor to find out how the level works means that adding those translator messages only in Easy was a big mistake.


While I understand your point, at the end of the day it's not something written in stone. I made a stylistic decision (based somewhat on what EXU has done previously) to introduce the map and its features on that difficulty.

Some who play the map for the first time might do so on easy, anyway (and would in all likelihood not be surprised by what I did with translator messages).


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Copyright © 2001-2024 UnrealSP.org

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited