Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

[227] Unreal HD Weapons (v0.6 Released!)

For questions and discussion about UnrealEd, UnrealScript, and other aspects of Unreal Engine design.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject: Re: [227] Unreal HD Weapons (work-in-progress)

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012, 00:00

Lemme make something clear:

iirc, Unreal in general has problems dealing with looking through translucent textures up close. Looking through like 5 to 10 translucent sheets up close will drop your FPS severely I remember. This is an engine limitation and I'm not keen on bottlenecking my own mod because the engine cannot handle it. If I reduce the emitters any more, I will no longer have the effect I am looking for and it will look like crap. I am keen on creating this in my image. Nobody has to like it...if anything this is for myself because I enjoy doing this and I've wanted to do this for a while. I'm not trying to please anyone and I never had to share this in the first place. That is not to say I don't expect feedback and criticism and others opinions/ideas, because I do, and I'm glad for it. I just figured others would enjoy this who want to see what I want to see as well, and I hope people understand where I am coming from with this. If I have to, I can change the name to "Shiv's HD Weapons" to make it sound less official or anything and make people happy :P

Personally, I don't have any FPS drop unless firing all 6 rockets in which case there is a slight skip but it's hardly noticeable. For the record though, Smirf has stated that 227i has some big improvements with performance in the emitter area, so it may be possibly due to that, as I am running 227i. Most of you are playing this on 227h. Version 0.1 only spawns 2 emitters for the rocket right now, the flame trail and the smoke trail. In the upcoming version, it will be spawning even more more emitters for the muzzle flash effect, and my fps still does not drop. Though I have actually optimized the emitters anyway, able to reduce particles and still get my intended effect by changing other properties.

As for being "blinded" or whatever...If people are referring to being "blinded" by that muzzle flash in the GIF i showed...that image is playing in slow-motion for those who are too dumb to see that. I slowed it way down in order to show off the effect....(which by the way is only about 10 particles) when playing in normal speed, it only plays for a split second, like a real muzzle flash. It's not my fault the eightball is centered in the screen no matter what =P Perhaps it wouldn't cover your view as much then lol. Though as I said, it plays for a split second...and doesn't blind you (me anyway) from seeing what i am shooting at.

But again...this IS a simple test beta version as Prophet has said. You have to take in account that this mod is NOT final and 227i has yet to be released. These things are to be expected. I'm glad for the feedback, but please stop acting as if this is all final and the mod just sucks because it doesnt work %100 for you in the way you'd like...kindly make suggestions or ask questions like "is it dropping in fps for everyone or just me?" instead of bitching. Just read Prophet's post again actually :P
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9950/shivavatar2.jpg Image

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012, 09:55

Shivaxi wrote:...if anything this is for myself because I enjoy doing this and I've wanted to do this for a while. I'm not trying to please anyone and I never had to share this in the first place. That is not to say I don't expect feedback and criticism and others opinions/ideas, because I do, and I'm glad for it. I just figured others would enjoy this who want to see what I want to see as well, and I hope people understand where I am coming from with this. If I have to, I can change the name to "Shiv's HD Weapons" to make it sound less official or anything and make people happy :P

It's something I've probably said since I came on this forum. This game is for fun. Certain parts of the game may not be fun for everyone. The advantage with your "mutator/add-on" is that anyone can decide to switch it off (or on). I'm all pro for (you) continuing to develop it (even though I may not like it when I ever get the chance to try it).

User avatar Darkon
White Tusk White Tusk

Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012, 15:56

Hey Shiv, keep up the good work! :tup: :tup: :tup:
Never trust a Dutchman in a tulip fight.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012, 01:43

This is a WIP shot of the new remodeled and reskinned Eightball courtesy of Adam Smith (Master Unreal he goes by I think)

Waffnuffly: If there is any purpose for the god damned ocean, it is for us to eat it.
Jet_v4.3.5: I want to be Lincoln and kick Satan's ass. Emancipate and Proclimate on his ass.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012, 01:52

Interesting idea, masking the barrels. Would have to see it on the model, but otherwise I like the touchup on the skin. :tup:

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012, 02:20

It's not masked...the holes in the barrels are really there now and actually 3D...he remodeled the skin entirely

diamond
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012, 08:40

Then, such level of detail could be too much for vertex mesh. Does 227 patch allow higher precision for vertex meshes BTW?
UBerserker wrote:Architecture doesn't need to detailed, it just needs to be right.

User avatar []KAOS[]Casey

Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012, 10:21

Better yet, skeletal meshes

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012, 18:17

NEW TEST RELEASE

VERSION 0.2

http://www.shivaxi.com/unreal/downloads ... 20v0.2.zip

README:

HD Unreal Weapons - by Shivaxi

================================

Test Release Version 0.2:

WARNING: THIS IS NOT THE FINAL PRODUCT. SUBJECT TO BUGS AND CHANGES.

Weapon Summons:

-UnrealWepsHD.HDEightball (100% complete)
-UnrealWepsHD.HDStinger (100% complete)
-UnrealWepsHD.HDGESBioRifle (100% complete)
-UnrealWepsHD.HDFlakCannon (extremely incomplete, use not recommended)

More Info / Contact / Bug Reporting:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2629

Changelog:

v0.1 to v0.2:

Added:

-Bio Rifle primary (and secondary) projectile and effects (smoke and particles)
-Seeking rocket projectile for Eightball
-Grenade projectile for Eightball (new smoke trail/explosion)
-Muzzle flash effect for Eightball
-HDFlakCannon (incomplete)
-HD Flak Chunks with trail effect (incomplete)

Removed:

-Old EightballHD class
-Old Eightball projectiles and effects using translucent unlit smoke
-some other effects or classes i didnt need anymore that we no longer being used

Changed:

-Projectile glows are now coronas. This includes but is not limited to: Stinger projectile glow & Bio gel glow
-Lighting on rocket projectile brightened
-Lighting on bio gel projectile brightened, radius decreased slightly
-Rocket explosion lensflare changed
-Stinger projectile shards more bouncy

Fixed:

-Spark trail on rocket projectile disappearing suddenly after 3 seconds (lifespan was set accidently due to being subclassed from another emitter)
-Rocket projectile glare/corona not aligned properly to flame
-Rocket projectile flame offset to align with projectile correctly
-Rocket smoke and spark trail visible under water
-Rocket explosion not working under water (emitters wouldnt render in other zones)
-Particle effects hanging after projectile was killed in some cases (emitter's now kill themselves if owner (projectile) is destroyed

END OF LINE

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012, 19:02

oh and just a reminder again for those who complain about performance issues...emitter's have been updated severely in 227i in regard to performance and such, so if you're not running 227i, you will most likely experience considerable frame loss...nothing I can do about that sorry. Works brilliant in 227i atm though.

EDIT: RatapoM can confirm this. tested on 227h and then 227i...he told me no fps drop whatsoever with 227i while 227h was lagging like hell for em.
Last edited by Shivaxi on 22 Aug 2012, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Maxer 64

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012, 19:56

Maybe with the Bio Rifle, you should lower the primary fire projectile damage but let it do damage over time. A good feature to think about.

Note: I haven't played the HD Weapons pack yet but If that has been already done then ignore this.

EDIT: I got another Idea for a feature. I think everyone would be interested if the eightball and the razorjack could be seen in the left or right hand, Instead of it always being in the center hand view.
If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012, 20:29

You also didnt read Maxer 64 xD I stated that I'm not changing the way the weapons work...this is simply an eye candy gun only...just visuals =P

User avatar Shivaxi
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 17:53

Just a small pic update showing off new Flak Cannon:

EDIT: oh and on a side note...the new 227i now pretty much gets rid of all lag and framerate drops whatsoever with emitters and particles...we're not sure what happened but somehow its rendered waaayy more efficiently now...i can shoot all 6 rockets and stand in the smoke cloud and my frames dont skip at all...its lovely
Last edited by Shivaxi on 16 Sep 2012, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 18:46

The heat streaks are pretty cool :o

Maxer 64

Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012, 18:52

Flak cannon, My absolute favorate weapon. Just Ramp up the skin and we might find ourselves with the greatest thing ever.
If you see this, I was a really dumb and stupid kid. Don't listen to the above.

Previous Next