Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

Savage Development Diary

For public discussion of "Savage Land" and other Red Nemesis projects.

Moderator: Mister_Prophet

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Savage Development Diary

Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021, 17:03

Hello my fellow savages.

In a effort to keep myself on point with information (and general transparency), I've thought it best to start a Development Diary thread in the spirit of the ones Hellscrag, our site founder, used to do. Even if this gets updated only once a month, it will be a way for me to provide consistent updates on exactly what's happening on the project as well as nagging myself not to slack off.

For the sake of the first post, much of the early work that's been done post Demo release is to address issues and comments brought up during the try outs. Most adjustments have already been incorporated. Map 2, in particular, has generated the most amount of feedback.

Map 2 Changes wrote:
-Closets before Nibo/Fans have been opened and feature rooms.
-Big lift by the Nibo/Fans section has an additional switch on the bottom level.
-Glass Door into the steam section no longer lacks player/projectile collision.
-Vinzor's spawn is now more dynamic and not exploitable by fleeing players.
-The unpopular jumpboot puzzle to reach the upper steam area node has been updated to focus on unlocking the hallway side door instead of requiring the player to find boots and make a jump.
-Nibo the Sage is being adjusted to have more dangerous attacks. Conversely, Azagor the Blind from Map 1 will be reduced in difficulty by a substantial margin.

Subject: Re: Savage Development Diary

Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021, 18:05

Some updates

Development Diary wrote:

-Forcefields now stackable, up to 5 can be carried at a time.
-Kinetic Accelerator added. Boosts damage to non-energy weapons.
-Flares updated. They last three times longer and no longer explode when spent.
-Pathfinder Seeds added. Glow where tossed, used as minimal light source and as breadcrumbs.
-Rifle now has increased Stagger on enemies.
-New Razorjack in early testing, guidable alt firing enabled similar to redeemer cam.
-Guerrilla Vest and Sash added to inventory, pending new models/skins/icons

Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021, 06:59

Hey there you Savages. Got some news on some more inventory stuff, courtesy of our Resident Workaholic Alcapowned.

Here With The Facts wrote:

-Survivalist Satchel added. Allows singe pickup of many items (or a select few).
-Bleak Seeds added. Turn into Null Fruit Trees, which cure Poison status.
-Poison damage type officially added. Players suffer slow health loss and other impairments over time, until cured.
-Toxin Suit updated to provide Poison Immunity.
-Activated Canvas and Plate Fittings added. Offer small repairs to worn Suit and Armor respectively.
-Flashlight update! Now stackable, finding more than one scavenges batteries.

Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021, 17:40

More mapping progress lately than anything else, though there have been some recruitment moves to speak of as well. In terms of what to post in the Diary, we've been testing more of the environmental hazards and general blights that can befall Patient 3 during their trek across Oraghar.

The Things That Have Been Happening wrote:
-Recent recruitments include Turboman, Steadz, Jackrabbit, Fashahhh, AHaigh01, and Sat42. Details on their interests on the project pending on the first post of the Recruitment thread
-Frost Damage Added as well as Frost Zones
-Heat Proxy added (a stationary space that will keep the player warm when ignited)
-HUD adjustments underway, pending tests

In terms of what Frost means as a new hurdle the player has to overcome; In addition to being wary of poisons the player can become cold or stumble onto inhospitable temperatures that can effect their mobility. Like Poison, the best way to overcome these obstacles is the smart use and maintenance of Suits. Obviously this will not always be a option, so players who are burdened by the chills can use their flares at certain spots to ignite campfires or other types of bonfires that will nullify the effects of Frost and help give them temporary resistances. In more common ways, this will simply be a means to light an area with a permanent source without using more inventory than necessary (the Heat Proxy doubles as a triggering source that can tag various events). The real challenge for us here is to not get too "survival game happy" with the features and maintain the pace of a typical Unreal experience, but also give the Na Pali seen in Savage Land a constant environmental presence.

Example pix were shared on discord and are as follows:

^In this shot the player comes to a snuffed out campfire in a dark cave. They could choose to ignore it and prospect onward, or they could ignite the campfire with a flare.

Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021, 18:03

Greetings my fellow Savages. Been a few weeks since my last post, for I have been preoccupied. In regards to Savage Land, it has been a slow bit of code package progress (but good progress on maps). I have a few things to catch everyone up on, however.

If you've been frequenting Discord and caught the HUD Poll thread you are aware that we have begun HUD field testing for some new styles. Under the radar there have been some tweaks made to pawns, some new subclass additions (with more to come), a significant push on map generation (Fashahhh in particular has been working on a large outdoor area comparable to The Vale, though we are still brainstorming how best to transition the actual Vale level into the story for Savage Land. Turboman has also accepted the reigns of an unfinished underground ruin level and I'm quite eager to see what he comes up with). AHaigh01 has also been helping out with textures, some really nice outdoor additions too!

Otherwise, here's the scoop:

A Heap of Savage Changes wrote:
-HUD updates. Color tones tested for "Heat" colors. Special Event Broadcast messages given new font. The Killcounter Skull has been replaced for a Key Item that can be set with a unique Icon in a level actor placement, Mappers can then set a .unr with a specific Key system that will be represented on screen with any custom Icon they wish.

-New subclasses being explored. Critter types, such as the Devilfish, being re-approached to be more interesting to combat.

-Armor and Suit swapping implemented. Players can replace types upon touch and reacquire old suits and armor later. Example, in Map 2 of the demo you can swap a Kevlar Suit with an Asbestos to explore the steam and the Kevlar will sit in place of where you found the Asbestos until the player chooses to return and swap back.

-Stinger Ammo Swapping issue fixed, rapid swapping no longer effected by holding the reload/Bextra3 button.

-Resurgence Slithling added to the enemy pool.

Post Posted: 10 May 2021, 19:18

Hoping you Savage folks are enjoying May! Here are some updates:

Some map progress all around but still not many pix I'd care to show publicly yet. Al has been feeding me bits of code updates here and there (Currently up to Savage Package Version 44). We've also been sharing some minor pawn stuff with Resurgence, so both projects will have certain low level pawn inclusions. This has allowed AL to test certain things in both classic gameplay scenarios and those intended for Resurgence, which in some cases has greatly helped balance. You can probably follow some of his progress on discord where sometimes a short showcase video might appear. Largely, the critter/wildlife types will likely be seen more in Savage Land where his more complex enemies will go toe to toe with the Skaarj protagonist in Resurgence. Narrative effort has also been made to better link these two campaigns in terms of plot events (both Na Pali stories exist within a year of one another). For my part, I have been working on a level for Resurgence also.

HUD progress continues to develop. Better color coordination has been implemented, so now crosshairs and the fonts for Automag reloads have been converted to the new scheme. Steadz and Turboman in particular have been toying with these updates as of recent. Steadz has been showing me some progress on his level, an outdoor Nali monastery set high on a mountain pass. WIP Pic included below.

Voice Trap has been added to the inventory pool as a means to replace the largely ignored Voice Box. It functions like a proximity bomb and can be stacked up to 5 in the player's selectable inventory. Based on enemy intelligence, the Trap will either LURE or WARN enemies to or away from it. Human intelligence level enemies will largely see through the façade and will attempt to search the player out. Mammal intelligence and Reptile Intelligence are typically lured, though we're still ironing out the bugs. Biggest issue atm is that the Trap can be heard through walls and has been messing up my well planned enemy placements, lol, so we have that to work on.

May the Savagery Be With You wrote:-Voice Trap added. Proximity bomb will detonate and destroy lured enemies, unless snuffed out by smarter enemies. Risky tool to use with conditional results.
-Variants of the Squid, Devilfish, Slithling, and Gas Bag subclasses being tested.
-HUD updated with better font colors.

Post Posted: 24 May 2021, 16:31

Some good news to share!

We've hit some milestones with the latest package update (version 46, officially). A big addition was getting Steadz much promo'd Nali Wolf into Savage Land. Fans of BFNP will likely remember plans for incorporating a Nali Wolf into the early game for the Icy locations like the original Vale and Hometown. We have some screenshots, though progress is being made to make the wolf's AI more interesting still, using some of Alcapowed's new techniques for Unreal's aquatic threats. On that note, Al has continued field testing his wildlife adjustments in the Savage Land updates, so videos some of you may have seen on discord of squids that can grab the player are just one of a few new additions.

Other additions, let's see. The Hud. We are at quality tuning on the HUD. Al has been adding more customized flare to the inventory brackets and smaller details like the "use/lifespan" bars to fall in with the general HUD theme.

Guns and inventory continue to see adjustments. Notable changes are the flashlight getting a decal light similar to how it looked in Seven Bullets. The Eightball is now "holdable" with its barrel loading, similar to how the UT biorifle worked. This allows the player to release their payloads with a little more control. Also, the eightball will now be capable of locking onto multiple targets, similar to that one Unreal 2 RL. The dispersion pistol, on the other hand, has seen an update with how it is upgraded. Ammo pools greatly increase per upgrade and holding down the alternate fire for a full charge will release a potent projectile that is the correct color and damage caliber of its upgrade. No more throwaway alternate blue splash balls for a fully suped up DP!

Most Savage of ChangeLogs wrote:-Added the nali wolf.
-Doubled the explosion radius of the voice trap from 128 to 256 (the activation radius is still 128)
-Made the eightball keep its stored projectiles for as long as the player holds down the fire button
-Implemented eightball multi-target lock-on (can have multiple targets, only locks on while loading)
-Made the powerups increase the dispersion pistol's ammo by 50 (since the default amount is 50), up to a maximum of 500
-Made the dispersion pistol's altfire shoot a different projectile based on its upgrade level and charge time
-Lightened the ammo bar texture to make it fit the rest of the HUD better
-Changed the selection and line textures to be orange
-Changed bleak fruit to be usable once the fruit part of the model starts to grow
-Changed bleak fruit to give halved poison resistance if grabbed too early, and increased resistance if grabbed later
-Made the flashlight's beam decal work
-Replaced the explosive stinger projectile hit effect

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 28 May 2021, 16:59

Someone actually made the Nali Wolf? :o

I can't wait to see that in action. It was supposed to have three legs rather than four, but I can forgive that as long as it plays smart!

Great stuff...
Life is what you make of it.

Post Posted: 28 May 2021, 18:59

Hey there stranger!

Funnily enough, I was asked this question on discord after you posted and I found that I couldn't answer it. I guess I simply did not remember that the original plan for the Wolf was to have three legs. I should say that the fact that the wolf is even here is a complete surprise. Steadz stunned everyone on discord one day with some imported screens and renders, as he was working on it independently. That it is in Savage Land is fitting, but since Alcapwned is doing the coding it is also likely the pawn will appear in Resurgence as well since both projects are sharing so many assets already.

Al is still working on how the Wolf will performed. I'm hoping for a Alpha system or wolf howl system that can be used to rally other wolves. Ideally, if it works out then we will not have to worry about trying to use RTNP's predators (my preference).

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 31 May 2021, 14:11

Here are the nali wolf animations I originally showed on Discord:
https://youtu.be/cGdq06cnUHI

User avatar Hellscrag
Founder Founder

Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021, 23:52

Those animation sequences are looking good.

Life is what you make of it.

Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021, 02:58

Minor update, some further progress on the eightball has been made. New crosshair.

^Unloaded

^Fully loaded and suppressed

User avatar evilgrins
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021, 08:04

What kind or attacks does the Nali Wolf have?

Front legs are pretty long... stand on hind legs and slash at players close up, maybe?

User avatar CrocMagnum
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021, 16:25

The Nali Wolf Animation is beyond beautiful, I love it. Now about the new crosshair for the Eightball:

Mister_Prophet wrote:

This unique crosshair is fantastic. Some feedback:

I noticed when the Eightball is loading the new crosshair displays the loading "symmetrically ", first it charges 3 ammo on the left then 3 on the right.

Wouldn’t it be better to make the crosshair animation rotate continuously counterclockwise, from upper left to upper right?

One "uniform circular motion" would make the progression feel more natural and easier to follow.

Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021, 17:01

evilgrins wrote:What kind or attacks does the Nali Wolf have?

Front legs are pretty long... stand on hind legs and slash at players close up, maybe?

Yes, despite the fact that it is called a "wolf," you'll notice the front arms are prominent. Up close, its claws stick up similar to a Raptor and it has a series of mauling swipes and a leap attack.

CrocMagnum wrote:The Nali Wolf Animation is beyond beautiful, I love it. Now about the new crosshair for the Eightball:

Mister_Prophet wrote:

This unique crosshair is fantastic. Some feedback:

I noticed when the Eightball is loading the new crosshair displays the loading "symmetrically ", first it charges 3 ammo on the left then 3 on the right.

Wouldn’t it be better to make the crosshair animation rotate continuously counterclockwise, from upper left to upper right?

One "uniform circular motion" would make the progression feel more natural and easier to follow.

That's an interesting suggestion. I guess we ought to show a video at some point of what it looks like in game. Using it I find that it is very informative of my gun's status when on the fly (the color change always goes red when loaded and the fact that you can hold the rockets indefinitely now helps a lot).

Next