This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

Savage Land Announcement and Demo Link

For public discussion of "Savage Land" and other Red Nemesis projects.

Moderator: Mister_Prophet

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject: Savage Land Announcement and Demo Link

Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016, 05:57

S A V A G E
L A N D

2215 (2213 on interstellar logs) - Prisoner 849 slays the Skaarj Queen on Na Pali and scuttles the Mothership.

2216 - The Skaarj Empire invades the inner solar system. The Seven Day Siege begins and ends.

2219 - (Presumed year by Colonial chart) A lone operative of unknown affiliation breaches Location Z-14. The Elder is reportedly killed. Skaarj command fractures into factions in the following months. Na Pali is carved up as these factions feud amongst themselves.

2221 - Ortican Outpost is sacked by the Tail Tribe.

2223 - Colonial Authority devises a way to effectively blockade Na Pali. First Consigned strongholds established. The quarantine line is formed later that year.

2225 - Operation Fox Tracker results in a powershift as the hierarchies of both the Bloodpack and the Dead Scorpions are deposed. The survivors of both groups scatter.

2229 - The first radicalized action taken by the NPEM (Na Pali Extraditionalist Movement) results in embassy bombings along colony worlds. The Colonial Authority declares the group a terrorist movement.

2231 - The White Tusk restores power to the Na Pali mothership through unknown means. The vessel disappears. Leviathan Outpost, the lone Consigned stronghold on Na Pali, investigates large scale teleporter signals beneath the northern ice caps of the planet.

2232 - A Non-consigned raiding party pillages a supply convoy bound for Leviathan Outpost from the quarantine line. First lethal action made between Consigned and marooned populace since pre-blockade years. Despite the Colonial Authority's best efforts a spy network transmits news of the event into colonial space. The NPEM riot on seventeen worlds in the coming weeks.

2235 - The United Space Marines are rebranded and absorbed into the general Colonial Military. Half the fleet is mothballed.

2236 - The Gilded Claw establishes themselves in Oraghar, also known as the Savage Land.

2239 - Escalation with the Striders slows commerce in Colonial space. Consequently, military policing drops to an all time low as resources are drawn to the core worlds. Reports of lawlessness go unanswered on fringe systems.

2240 - The Quarantine Line is suspended briefly as blockade ships are redeployed elsewhere for the growing war effort. Not long after, Leviathan Outpost reports a Skaarj warship breaching Na Pali orbit. The move goes uncontested, although Leviathan observes a high atmosphere conflict with Veganian Mercenary forces. The ensuing battles destabilize certain networks of Skaarj control. Four months later the blockade is reinstated. Older service era vessels are taken out of retirement and retrofitted to serve the new Quarantine line.

2241 - The Vortex Hibernia leaves Shipyard 6, outbound on contractual duty for Liandri. They never report for their scheduled check in eight weeks later...

A deep space mining vessel finds itself the unlikely target of a political coup. A radical movement spreading on the outskirts of the colonies in recent years has managed to infiltrate the blue collar workforce of the Vortex Hibernia, en route to a destination in a far off asteroid belt. This terminus will never be reached. With members of the group embedded even within the ranks of the bridge crew it does not take long for the mining craft to divert to its new destination...Na Pali.

Mutineers spread their influence and battle the small security force stationed on the vessel to a bloody stalemate. Soon, all that stands in the Vortex Hibernia's way is the Na Pali quarantine line. Unknown to even the most firebrand leaders of the mutiny, there are those in their number planning more than a mere hijacking to further political ends. What happens next is perhaps inevitable. The Colonial Authority flagship leading the quarantine line fires a warning shot across the Vortex Hibernia's bow. At nearly the same moment, a suspicious explosion occurs in the engineering section. Out of control, the Vortex Hibernia finds itself locked onto a crash course with the planet. For the Extraditionalists who wished only to see their marooned loved ones again, a cold irony presents itself. Na Pali opens her arms and receives a new wreck to join an endless graveyard.

You are Patient 3. You awake some time after the crash. Dehydrated and left grievously injured by a bedside in the ship's medical wing, you test your bearings and get to your feet. Whether you were a true believer or just an unlucky worker caught in the middle, it no longer matters what your role in all of this was. Terrible things are breaking down the walls and you know too well where you are and what that means. Nobody is coming to save you.

Your choices made simpler by fate, all you can do is follow the sound of the alarms and hope that you can find a gun before something else finds you first.

LINKS

From Google Drive - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b9muL8 ... sp=sharing

From Our Friends At Media Fire - https://www.mediafire.com/file/bebbvxaa ... o.zip/file

From the Moddb page for Savage Land - https://www.moddb.com/mods/savage-land/ ... eland-demo

Subject: Re: Savage Land

Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020, 08:49

More Media to follow

Subject: Re: Savage Land Announcement and Demo Link

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021, 18:29

If anyone has issues with the links let me know. If you'd like to offer more mirror options, contact me privately or on discord.

User avatar AlCapowned
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021, 23:31

I'm very happy to see this released! I had a lot of fun testing and working on the weapons. Very much looking forward to more.

Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021, 03:17

Al, you did a hell of a job helping me get this ready for public consumption. Thanks again!

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021, 23:22

I immediately downloaded and played the package, when I read the announcement! The way the maps are constructed, especially the first one, is well thought-out. I really like that you unlock several shortcuts back on your way through the maps, and most of them are convincingly tied to what you do in the environment (like the hand ID in map 2!). The most striking one is the broken down strut in map 1, linking the first area with the shaft leading to the final area. This inspires me to think my future levels in a similar way.

The overall brushwork isn't uber leet, but it doesn't need to, because you make up for it in length (I think I spent 3 or 4 hours on Hard) and all the little details that add perfectly to the atmosphere. And what atmosphere it has. This is like the original Vortex Rikers, but squared²! The writings on the wall, all the little events, the use of sounds, the use of fog, all tasty. The story bits have the potential to grip as well, but as of now, they left me with many open questions. :D The fights had a good amount of pressure to them without being unfair. Though, the Dispersion Troopers can be pretty deadly. Very intense battles indeed.

To be honest, after the completion of map 1, I was kind of disappointed to see another deck of the ship, but this feeling only lasted for a short while, because the second map feels entirely different: There are bigger rooms, you get a glimpse to the outside (btw. a great moment to see the sunlight and the running sand in the hall for the first time.) The map focuses more on exploration and even the fighting differs. Though, i'd still be glad to go outside after this map. :D

As for the new weapons: I liked both of them, but I didn't use them too much. The Crossbow seemed to deal a lot of damage, but it hardly felt that way. I barely saw the arrow. This made the weapon feels less impactful than it is. I wonder if it is possible to make the arrows more noticable? Maybe if they are colored in red or if they have a slight glow to them? I did like the idea that you can pick up the arrows which missed the enemies!

The EAR was cool, and I wished I had more opportunity to use it to its full potential. The original form doesn't differ too much from the Pulse Gun, but I liked the overall design and feeling. The first upgrade seemed powerful, but I somehow never used it, apart from shooting the Big Man down. :D

However, equipping the Stinger with different Shards is such a cool idea! I'm looking forward to what else you come up. The Automag secondary fire seemed overkill at first, but in hindight, it is well balanced.
All in all, thank you for this demo release. I hope you continue the project, and maybe some others too. As you encourage other mappers to use SavagePackage, I'd love to try out some elements for Unforchers!
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021, 03:16

Dave! Thanks for trying it out!

editor Dave wrote:I immediately downloaded and played the package, when I read the announcement! The way the maps are constructed, especially the first one, is well thought-out. I really like that you unlock several shortcuts back on your way through the maps, and most of them are convincingly tied to what you do in the environment (like the hand ID in map 2!). The most striking one is the broken down strut in map 1, linking the first area with the shaft leading to the final area. This inspires me to think my future levels in a similar way.

The overall brushwork isn't uber leet, but it doesn't need to, because you make up for it in length (I think I spent 3 or 4 hours on Hard) and all the little details that add perfectly to the atmosphere. And what atmosphere it has. This is like the original Vortex Rikers, but squared²! The writings on the wall, all the little events, the use of sounds, the use of fog, all tasty. The story bits have the potential to grip as well, but as of now, they left me with many open questions. :D The fights had a good amount of pressure to them without being unfair. Though, the Dispersion Troopers can be pretty deadly. Very intense battles indeed.

To be honest, after the completion of map 1, I was kind of disappointed to see another deck of the ship, but this feeling only lasted for a short while, because the second map feels entirely different: There are bigger rooms, you get a glimpse to the outside (btw. a great moment to see the sunlight and the running sand in the hall for the first time.) The map focuses more on exploration and even the fighting differs. Though, i'd still be glad to go outside after this map. :D

The second map only really existed because I meant to end the first map with the big cargo hold area and I just couldn't fit it to the snappy layout of that first level. Then it sort of became it's own thing. I like that the second map feels a bit looser with how you get around. I gambled that people wouldn't be tired of two interior ship levels in a row. They'll get over it once they get outside though (gonna spend a lot of time outside and in non-techy environments for awhile in Savage Land).

editor Dave wrote:As for the new weapons: I liked both of them, but I didn't use them too much. The Crossbow seemed to deal a lot of damage, but it hardly felt that way. I barely saw the arrow. This made the weapon feels less impactful than it is. I wonder if it is possible to make the arrows more noticable? Maybe if they are colored in red or if they have a slight glow to them? I did like the idea that you can pick up the arrows which missed the enemies!

The EAR was cool, and I wished I had more opportunity to use it to its full potential. The original form doesn't differ too much from the Pulse Gun, but I liked the overall design and feeling. The first upgrade seemed powerful, but I somehow never used it, apart from shooting the Big Man down. :D

However, equipping the Stinger with different Shards is such a cool idea! I'm looking forward to what else you come up. The Automag secondary fire seemed overkill at first, but in hindight, it is well balanced.
All in all, thank you for this demo release. I hope you continue the project, and maybe some others too. As you encourage other mappers to use SavagePackage, I'd love to try out some elements for Unforchers!

The truth is the original version of the first levels are meant to work with the first four guns and that's it. So for the sake of the demo there are more subclasses and enemy types present to compensate there being so many guns. I took a chance that this might make it possible for players to feel like they did not have enough enemies to shoot with the new guns but ultimately the encore NG+ mode was added to balance it out.

The Driftwood Crossbow, as stated in the readme, isn't quite finished skin wise. It is meant to shoot bolt shafts that are crafted from pure Tarydium, explaining the damage. You can see the evidence of this ingame when the bolts hit walls, as they glow for an extra second. This was kept in because the ship can be dark and it helped to show players where their missed shots went. The weapon itself has a few unstated modifiers. For instance, if you hit an enemy it has a staggering effect that lasts for a few seconds, slowing their ground speed (this is a big deal when confronted by some of the close quarter surprise fights in the Demo). It also has boosted damage values for headshots and on pawns with certain properties. For instance, Intelligence. The "dumber" the enemy the more damage will be dealt. Try it on Behemoths and Titans and aim for the head. There are exceptions of course, as bBoss=True negates some of its effectiveness, as does Intelligence adjustment and difficulty modifiers on individual pawns.

It is possible to get all the current upgrades for the Light Bringer in map two if you open all the paths on the road to get all six nodes (mainly the ventilation link between the annex and the area with the fans). I like that is has a Pulse/Link Gun vibe in its initial state. This turned out to be a safer way to get players familiar with it (The old BFNP version had only primary fire until upgrades are found). It will be a later campaign weapon in the finished release so the presentation of the upgrades will feel more natural probably. There's probably going to be some finer tuning to the weapon also, perhaps even additional upgrades. The Light Bringer can potentially be very powerful fully upgraded with an amplifier.

The Automag came about from discussions between me and Alcapowned on how best to make the Automag seem like a weapon that WASN'T a prison convict's signature weapon. I sort of attribute Unreal's Automag to being an expressive part of Prisoner 849. The sideways alt always seemed to me to be the game's only real attempt to leak your character's personality into the game. That UT sort of ran with it as a pistol style is irrelevant. In RD, Jones would have fine aimed his own Automag, but that was even still too specific. The automatic option was the best decision. This felt much more fun to use in combat, and because it's just an Automag still in most respects it felt really balanced.

The stinger was a late addition. Like, I think we only started testing that in mid January. Came together very quick and worked out really well. The inspiration was all the pupae fights where I felt like the player needed something quick firing that caused splash damage. We are going to take it a bit further in the full campaign.

Thanks for playing and posting your feedback! And by all means mess around with Savage Package!

User avatar editor Dave
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021, 14:02

Thank you for all the very interesting insights!

Mister_Prophet wrote:Dave! Thanks for trying it out!

The second map only really existed because I meant to end the first map with the big cargo hold area and I just couldn't fit it to the snappy layout of that first level. Then it sort of became it's own thing. I like that the second map feels a bit looser with how you get around. I gambled that people wouldn't be tired of two interior ship levels in a row. They'll get over it once they get outside though (gonna spend a lot of time outside and in non-techy environments for awhile in Savage Land).

I know the feeling very well when something blows out of of proportions. Unforchers 1 was originally supposed to be one map as well, and in its current state, that first section is three maps :lol:. Like I said, it was just a short phase of accomodation, almost like Xenome Episode 1. You know, it's called Savage Land Demo, and all you get to see is a savage ship (should've known from the screenshots, though). :D I used to dislike the beginning of 7 Bullets, but now I think it's one of the best of the campaign! One thing I forgot to mention yesterday is the astonishing lighting in general, elevating the atmosphere to another level.
Mister_Prophet wrote:The truth is the original version of the first levels are meant to work with the first four guns and that's it. So for the sake of the demo there are more subclasses and enemy types present to compensate there being so many guns. I took a chance that this might make it possible for players to feel like they did not have enough enemies to shoot with the new guns but ultimately the encore NG+ mode was added to balance it out.

I see, so I might as well try another round! I do want to put the new weapons more to the test and see all its capabilities. Now that you mention it again, I do think the standard Light Bringer being similar to the Pulse Gun is a good move, because together with the standard Unreal weaponry, the UT Pulse Gun (or the blue ONP variant) would totally feel out of place, whereas the Light Bringer fits nicely within the "old" repertoire.
Mister_Prophet wrote:It is possible to get all the current upgrades for the Light Bringer in map two if you open all the paths on the road to get all six nodes (mainly the ventilation link between the annex and the area with the fans).

I didn't mention it, but I saw that in the editor after my first playthrough. Actually, I had an issue finding the definite right spot to use the first Jump Boots. It is supposed to be around Knife63, right? I totally missed that and the hint somewhere else in the room didn't really click for me to know this is where I should look. So I used the first Jump Boots somewhere else to get my fourth node, knowing very well it was probably wrong (as confirmed later in the editor). I wonder, would you mind adding a hint on the guy of Knife63, like "dayum, I wanna get outta here" but less cheesy, or maybe blood drips coming from above? Or would this be too obvious and you want people to potentially miss this shaft?
Mister_Prophet wrote:The sideways alt always seemed to me to be the game's only real attempt to leak your character's personality into the game.
Interesting, I have never thought about personalities of weapons or rather weapons being part of your identity. This makes total sense, and yes indeed, it feels fresh and fine!

I also forgot to report one minor issue (maybe someone else already did). ZoneInfo9 in map 2 only makes 5 damage per second. I think it is supposed to be a death trap like every other "orange area", isn't it?
Prisons of the Unforchers Retold - more info: https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4565

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021, 14:25

continued the challenge yesterday evening.
The only thing I can say is that it's buggy ... very buggy.
I got to the area where those 6 node things have to be installed, went out looking for the extra 1 (or 3) needed and died missing a simple jump I had made earlier even.
Then found out that I had neglected to take a new savegame since about halfway map1.(Blame it on watching the no save playthroughs of Xenome)
It's really buggy that brain of mine :(

Medium just right for a first playthrough, the titan area poses no problem regarding fighting, it's actually easy as there's lots of cover and room to move but I'm very curious about how I'm going to get on those crate structures: one has a superhealth to which I see a path, another has a door high up which I suspect can only be reached coming from the inside.

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021, 17:15

editor Dave wrote:I didn't mention it, but I saw that in the editor after my first playthrough. Actually, I had an issue finding the definite right spot to use the first Jump Boots. It is supposed to be around Knife63, right? I totally missed that and the hint somewhere else in the room didn't really click for me to know this is where I should look. So I used the first Jump Boots somewhere else to get my fourth node, knowing very well it was probably wrong (as confirmed later in the editor). I wonder, would you mind adding a hint on the guy of Knife63, like "dayum, I wanna get outta here" but less cheesy, or maybe blood drips coming from above? Or would this be too obvious and you want people to potentially miss this shaft?

Yes it is the vent above the body there holding the flare. I've gotten a lot of feedback about the jumpboots puzzle in general and I do have to think of perhaps a more solid approach. The way it is now is, depending on where you find the boots in the steam area based on difficulty, you need to at least use them once to get up to that vent. Once you are up there and move around a bit you will trigger a sensor that will activate a service lift that will take you back up if you fall down at any time, skipping the steam completely.

The area up there hides one of the six nodes, a few logs and items, and several additional jumpboots that the player is meant to use in the big cargo room to get up on all the crates (unless you used the Titan ground smashes to do this already). The idea is that you can return multiple times if you need to until all the boots are used up.

In general I do think the jumpboots mechanic is mixed in Unreal. I've already begun to think of other ways to setup this bit there to the node at least. I've considered replacing the jumpboots in the steam with a keycard that opens the service lift directly. The jumpboots themselves might need a little quality of life adjustment too but I haven't really brainstormed that yet.

editor Dave wrote:I also forgot to report one minor issue (maybe someone else already did). ZoneInfo9 in map 2 only makes 5 damage per second. I think it is supposed to be a death trap like every other "orange area", isn't it?

It's a fall hazard, not necessarily a death trap. If you fall or mistime a jump you can run to an elevator that opens a side door back up to the top.

Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021, 17:20

salsaSkaarj wrote:continued the challenge yesterday evening.
The only thing I can say is that it's buggy ... very buggy.
I got to the area where those 6 node things have to be installed, went out looking for the extra 1 (or 3) needed and died missing a simple jump I had made earlier even.
Then found out that I had neglected to take a new savegame since about halfway map1.(Blame it on watching the no save playthroughs of Xenome)
It's really buggy that brain of mine :(

Medium just right for a first playthrough, the titan area poses no problem regarding fighting, it's actually easy as there's lots of cover and room to move but I'm very curious about how I'm going to get on those crate structures: one has a superhealth to which I see a path, another has a door high up which I suspect can only be reached coming from the inside.

I've glad you're getting through alright Salsa. Just save more! lol

There's a section you can return to later that is flooded with hot steam that hides a jump boot related puzzles that gives you the opportunity to find many jumpboots. You'll know you are in the right area because you will have access to asbestos suits. Funnily enough it was the section me and Dave were just discussing above.

More risky players can try to use the Titan to get up there too with his ground smashes, but that might be a health allergy. If you ever happen upon a RLcoopE server, however, you can just mantle over those crates.

User avatar gubar
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021, 19:54

Congrats on this new release! I enjoyed it a lot. For now, I went for just the quick ending (I found only 5 nodes on the first playthrough), but I will definitely spend more time with it in the next days to make sure I discover everything. I'm also looking forward to see what NG+ has to offer.

FYI the demo is now hosted on Unreal Archives as well: https://unrealarchives.com/savage-land/

Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021, 03:12

gubar wrote:Congrats on this new release! I enjoyed it a lot. For now, I went for just the quick ending (I found only 5 nodes on the first playthrough), but I will definitely spend more time with it in the next days to make sure I discover everything. I'm also looking forward to see what NG+ has to offer.

FYI the demo is now hosted on Unreal Archives as well: https://unrealarchives.com/savage-land/

I'm glad you found it fun Gubar! Thank you so much for hosting it on your site also and for writing up that nice synopsis too. Everything always looks so slick on Unreal Archives :tup:

Good luck if you give NG+ a shot. I deliberately changed it up a bunch to throw returning players off.

User avatar fashahhh
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021, 12:31

Just had a few hours to spare to play this. Loved the whole classic Vortex Rikers feel of it. I played on medium and where I found the difficulty ok for the most part, I did still got my arse handed to me by those amp'd up Skaarj Troopers.

I have to admit I was craving the outdoors after the first section but the second part quickly drew me in again with the look of the cargo bay. I wasn't a fan of the instakill falling boxes in one of the side rooms. I had forgot to save so had to go back to the start (it just felt like a cheap death to me). I did like how various parts of the level open up (like the previous map) as you progress.

Was good to use the EAR finally too!

Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021, 16:35

Hey Fashahh!

I've gotten a lot of feedback in general about the difficulty of the demo. Much of the enemies and situations were boosted a bit to account for the extra weapons, but the new troopers will either be scaled back or removed completely for the final release as they generally appear later. I haven't heard too many people actually getting hit by that particular box trap (I've had more people get in touch with me about the item lure hallway) but it is good to consider.

Players who felt cramped in the demo will be happy to know that you'll see the sky a lot in the following levels at least.

Next