Did you know? UBerserker loves the Dispersion Pistol.

Which classic gun do you MOST want to see remastered?

For public discussion of "Savage Land" and other Red Nemesis projects.

Moderator: Mister_Prophet

Which classic weapon do you want to see remixed the most?

Dispersion Pistol
34%
Eightball
8%
Flak Cannon
6%
Razor Jack
12%
GES Bio Rifle
18%
Rifle
22%

Total votes: 50

User avatar Derdak2rot
Skaarj Assassin Skaarj Assassin

Subject:

Post Posted: 13 Nov 2007, 23:53

i think of GES biorifle too , i always liked that weapon , but always been disapointed by its model , either in unreal or UT . and a new nice liquid effect on the projectiles :) that would be awesome !

User avatar NicolasEymerich
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 14 Nov 2007, 04:23

Jblade wrote:I'd love to see the Rifle overhauled - I think keeping the wooden stock to give it a retro touch would be awsome :)

^ I'm with him.
Let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. According to this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.

User avatar TheIronKnuckle
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw
Location: Riding my bicycle from the highest hill in Sydney to these forums

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2007, 08:06

-Visc- wrote:The rifle.
Not because its the leetest gun o them all, it was the biggest disappointment in U1 and as the sniper in UT.
The gun has so many things to improve, the rifle and the sniper is for sure the most boring and incompleted weapon in the whole U-series.
Zooming sucks, the sound sucks, the insta-hit bullet suck and even the ammo box design sucks too.
My suggestions would be:
* Real life zooming (no full screen visibility)
* Bullet travel speed (no insta-hit bullet with no trajectory)
* Reloading (of course!)
* Muzzle climb (crosshair climb) after shot.
* A bit more inaccuracy
* Complete new model
* Shot sound echo (like in real life) makeing the rifle sounding more powerful
* ''Higher'' shot sound, the , muzzled-sound of the rifle makes sounds weaker than my .40 Glock.

No I dont want a Rainbow-Six-realistic rifle, but if its a true rifle there is no way around some essential points.

1. I don't know, it does need a better scope graphic, but i like being able to make FULL use of my screen whilst in "The snipe mode".
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. I don't get it, a sniper rifle is designed to be accurate = NO
6. Yes, while i am fine with its current model, i always like to see a new perspective on something old.
7. Hey, if it makes it sound powerful, i'm all for it (Actually, i think i can imagine what you're getting at, if i am, that would be great)
8. I don't really care about the rifles current sound effects, they are average. Again, this would be a nice new take on an old concept.

Your first 4 points would have us using a sniper rifle designed for a realism game. Unreal does not need a realistic sniper rifle. While this kind of rifle may work in a SP experience, it would suxxor in MP. (Of course, RD is an SP experience, so it may work, but i just know I would hate using it anyway)

Now, pushing that aside, i actually chose 8-ball. In its current form it is pretty much the same as the rocket launcher. What it needs is a touch of uniqueness and a graphical overhaul. What needs to be done is that the 8ball is given a new way of firing, or something new to fire. Essentially make it a separate gun to the rocket launcher in ways other then its mesh.

The biorifle would be nice though, imo you should make it look like a rifle or change its name.
My favourite "look" for this gun is the original style, with the whole backpack thing going down. Unfortunately the U1 rifle blows in practicality.
My fav look for this gun would be closer to its U1 style but a lot more heavy and mean looking.

The rifle, needs a real scope, but other then that i am happy with it as it is.

The dispersion pistol would be interesting, but i can't think of any way to improve it.

User avatar UArchitect
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2007, 16:53

actually, 3 would be a yes

just about all the weapons in rd feature reloading of some sort aside from a few special cases

2 and 4 however are a definite no ;P
1 is likely

TheIronKnuckle wrote:The dispersion pistol would be interesting, but i can't think of any way to improve it.

yeah i killed a few braincells trying to think of a way to do this some time back, it looks like a mutated wang, it desperately needs a new model :P

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 19 Nov 2007, 17:44

UArchitect wrote:yeah i killed a few braincells trying to think of a way to do this some time back, it looks like a mutated wang, it desperately needs a new model :P

Just one thing: don't enhance its efficiency because it's already a difficulty killer.
ImageImage

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2007, 06:07

Something to consider is that RD will have more than one "sniper rifle" weapon. The one that's based on the Unreal Rifle is being re-designed with Skaarj origin in mind (while a more Terran based rifle is replacing the UT one used in Xidia and Seven Bullets). Having said that, there are unofficial sniper weapon concepts floating in my brain for a MP gametype on the burner that may as well appear in the SP by the time we reach the last phase of dev.

But make no mistake, Residual Decay leans toward realism in a lot of ways when it comes to combat and that isn't going to change. While it's not going to be as life-like as some True Realism type shooters (sorry Visc), it will be as close as it possibly can while maintaining Unreal's faster paced combat style.

I'm surprised to see so many votes for the DP, that's the one weapon I figured nobody would want us to alter. To be honest, we haven't given it much thought aside from some major Skin/Sound/ProjectileEffect overhauls (while lifting some better refinements from the U2 counterpart, like a hold-able alternate discharge). It's currently the only gun in the Unreal ten that we were pretty sure was definitely gonna maintain the original model.

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2007, 06:10

UArchitect wrote:actually, 3 would be a yes

just about all the weapons in rd feature reloading of some sort aside from a few special cases

2 and 4 however are a definite no ;P
1 is likely

TheIronKnuckle wrote:The dispersion pistol would be interesting, but i can't think of any way to improve it.

yeah i killed a few braincells trying to think of a way to do this some time back, it looks like a mutated wang, it desperately needs a new model :P

well, i can take 3. I'm ok with reloading. Its not something i enjoy in a video game, but it is a touch of realism that i WILL appreciate a bit. (Seeing as there is the unspoken law that if something shoots it has to reload, i'm ok with it). Also, this is an SP game, not a frantic game of UT, so reloding isn't so bad.
1 i don't really care about. I like seeing everything, but i could get used to a real scope.

and the dp has a great model simply because of its transformationness, but once it turns into the beast at level 5 you have to admit that it can't seriously be called a pistol any longer.

User avatar -Visc-
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 20 Nov 2007, 11:07

Mister_Prophet wrote: While it's not going to be as life-like as some True Realism type shooters (sorry Visc), it will be as close as it possibly can while maintaining Unreal's faster paced combat style.

I have no problem with unreal-ness of weapons, 100% real-life realistic weapons would be way too hard to use in both SP and MP and It would turn into a crazy difficulty, but IMO the basic things of weapons shouldn't be excluded - like reloading, muzzle climb/recoil.

But it seems that RD will feature awesome weapons, I am totally pleased with thew things I've heard and seen so far. :o

Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Subject:

Post Posted: 21 Nov 2007, 06:15

-Visc- wrote:
Mister_Prophet wrote: While it's not going to be as life-like as some True Realism type shooters (sorry Visc), it will be as close as it possibly can while maintaining Unreal's faster paced combat style.

I have no problem with unreal-ness of weapons, 100% real-life realistic weapons would be way too hard to use in both SP and MP and It would turn into a crazy difficulty, but IMO the basic things of weapons shouldn't be excluded - like reloading, muzzle climb/recoil.

But it seems that RD will feature awesome weapons, I am totally pleased with thew things I've heard and seen so far. :o

I can see what you mean, but i still can't see any reason to include recoil, mp or sp. Recoil would be absolutly great if it was just for the redeemer, cause that is a one off weapon and is seriously unbalanced. If there was some disorientation after firing (or after detonating via misslecam) then it would be realistic AND fit with the unreal way of weapons. It would also add a bit of punishment for using it. But the sniper rifle. i know that a realistic sniper rifle has recoil, but in Unreal and UT - MP or SP, it is still way too frantic to have it that way. The recoil would have to be extremely minor, a simple shake upwards which is automatically refocused to where you were looking before you fired. (This would give the recoil "effect", without the annoying disadvantages eg. losing your target, but it would still be slightly disorienting [which would really just add to the effect])

Unless i am mistaken, we are drifting towards the off topic boundaries. Lets turn around before we get lost in that realm of eternal spamming.

User avatar Frieza
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2007, 11:35

Dispersion pistol. Probably the ugliest weapon of all. Definitely needs a makeover

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2007, 11:45

Maybe the power-ups should actually make sense.. in Unreal the player picks up some kinda battery and the dispersion pistol's two barrels just.. move further away from each other?
And then random stuff starts appearing everywhere..

You could maybe add multiple kinds of power-ups - a "plasma supercharge reactor" to increase damage, a "projectile accelerating barrel add-on" to increase projectile speed etc..

But making that work would require lots of animations if the player will be allowed to choose the power-ups in no particular order.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Skaarj22
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2007, 13:24

I voted Flak Cannon. My favourite weapon, I would definitely like to see what a remix could do for it.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2007, 17:11

What about making the DP a bit weaker in damage? :o
ImageImage

wael
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2007, 17:39

UBerserker wrote:What about making the DP a bit weaker in damage? :o

You may be godlike with the DP, but a lot of people aren't, so maybe a few upgrades may be cool, like faster projectiles maybe.

User avatar ividyon
Administrator Administrator

Subject:

Post Posted: 24 Nov 2007, 18:38

Actually that isn't such a bad idea - since we've got the Brass Knuckles, you might want people to use them in the beginning. But they should still have an alternate ranged weapon, so you could just reduce DP damage to make it less strong than melee.
UnrealSP.org webmaster & administrator

Previous Next