Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

[Locked for Posterity] Residual Decay Development

For public discussion of "Savage Land" and other Red Nemesis projects.

Moderator: Mister_Prophet

User avatar Jet v4.3.5
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010, 05:58

I was looking in the old forums and I found a few links to things that might be interesting that I never saw. e.g.

Development Movies for RD, things like that that were there but I haven't found here.
ModDb Portfolio
"Bear," she cried. "I love you. Pull my head off."

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010, 21:46

There on the site, under RD Media.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010, 22:05

Mister_Prophet from 2005 wrote:I thought I'd dedicate a new thread to any short demo recordings taken of Residual Decay works-in-progress and eventually the longer tech demos and main trailer that will show up close to release. We'll try to show some short demo recordings concerning various things here as time goes by.

But first I'll show you a dated test sample of the New Sniper Rifle in it's early stages. This basically shows you the new look and animation style we're going for but this model is far from finished.

http://intranet.connectics.nl/Turbo/Sha ... llanim.avi

I was referring to the video here, which is mentioned as an old demonstration of the RD sniper rifle. This one I haven't found on the site, but like you said then, it's old, though it would be interesting to see anyway just to see how the sniper rifle had been built up to at that time and to see what everyone on that particular thread were referring too.
ModDb Portfolio

Subject:

Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010, 22:14

Wow. Yeah, that's an old old old thing and that weapon was never completed. Sometimes you get something going but it just kinda ends up on the cutting room floor. We'll still have a heavy sniper rifle that will be what that would have. I've been harboring some lust for a big sci-fi rifle in the style of a Barrett. Then there's the replacement for Unreal's Rifle, which is waiting on a skin before I show it, and possibly one more. I wanted three, but we'll see.

User avatar NaliSlayer
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010, 15:56

\o/ what can we actualy expect as a package? i mean is the project 500mb,or can we expect a download (when it's released) around 1 or more GB's

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010, 22:15

I dunno. I think of a different number every time someone asks. We stopped fretting about filesize around 3 years ago.

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010, 18:07

A lot of realism factors are being taken into account about a lot of the combat scenarios. What other updates can we expect to encounter in place of previous aspects we've seen in previous packs, such as swimming, climbing, crouching (crawling) ect.?
ModDb Portfolio

User avatar Raven
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010, 19:17

It's all finished and working. Can be turned on/off but changing few properties in game type. Everything will be as easy to configure as it can be and most new features (for mappers) will have full UED support.
Madness, as you know, is like gravity…all it takes is a little push!
http://turniej.unreal.pl/portfolio

User avatar Jet v4.3.5

Subject:

Post Posted: 03 Feb 2010, 22:21

In game, will there be some noticeable changes in the movement aspects, like while the player is swimming and climbing, similar to how the combat system has been updated with limited weapons and the new hand-to-hand combat system, where controlling the player and moving him in an environment will have new behaviors that simulate a much more realistic feel instead of just moving forward when you press the forward key and moving up and down with jump/crouch keys while swimming and the like for climbing? In a sense, how "real" is player navigation going to be in some of RD's combat and trekking sequences, and for what reasons did the old movement behaviors not work with the events of RD?
ModDb Portfolio

Subject:

Post Posted: 04 Feb 2010, 06:56

Well, it's really the kind of thing you have to see for yourself. I can say that you won't be able to use ladders while holding a weapon, swimming will probably be a lot different than Unreal, and things like maximum height damage and how certain movement speeds affect Jones in combat ect will be different. Things like that. Maybe more when we're closer to release. That kind of detail won't really be honed until we're getting down and dirty with all the combat/gameplay testing. The idea has always been to do two things; keep a recurring theme of "survival" going and to maintain the idea that Jones is basically a one man army. In that sense, hindrance is not the kind of thing we're going for, so you won't get any ludicrous movement restrictions in some games that try to "make it real." I had a huge problem with the pace in Unreal 2 and prefer games where being able to move is one of your assets rather than an obstacle. So whatever kind of "realism" we're trying to push in RD, we're not going to do it for the sake of making things more realistic, especially if it ends up bugging the player. No bullshit "sprint durations" and things like that. There are better ways to show the wear and tear of a character through the course of the game than relying on cheap gimmicks.

But none of this is really worth talking about unless I can show you what I mean to do and we can't do that until we have a video to show.

User avatar -Visc-

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010, 02:19

Sometimes slow(er) movement is not so bad, if you are able to run with 60 miles per hour through the whole game you will miss great deal of details & quality in the maps.

Subject:

Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010, 02:27

-Visc- wrote:Sometimes slow(er) movement is not so bad, if you are able to run with 60 miles per hour through the whole game you will miss great deal of details & quality in the maps.

Sometimes, no. In Unreal with Unreal level AI (or better) and the kind of speeds attributed to pawns and weapon projectiles, yes it is pretty bad. Now, Jones isn't going to be running Duke Nukem style speeds (default max is still the same as Unreal), but dodging is getting an overhaul, and there are ways for Jones to enhance his default performance through drugs and other substances. As for missing the eye candy safari, well...my take on that is this; I'll put it in the environment and the player can go sight seeing if they want to. That won't be the point of the game though. And because log material and scanning comes into play with RD, speeding through maps will only get you killed anyway.

User avatar -Visc-

Subject: Re: Residual Decay Development

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010, 03:19

A year ago I posted a rant about weapon sounds for bullet based guns, especially the weak sound of the CAR which hardly resembles the sound of a true rifle.
Just wanted to give you an example how bullet based rifles should sound like in RD.

Found a nice youtube video with excellent sound quality, just to give you an idea how a true rifle sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqg9mKqH1jo&playnext_from=TL&videos=1cFG_cdVxv4

And indoors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Xqa2vwq60

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010, 03:43

Cool links :tup:

Right now the automatic weapons aren't quite where I want them, sound wise. As I've stated before...this won't be Unreal meets CoD, but at the very least the sounds are something I want to do right.

User avatar Buff Skeleton
>:E >:E

Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010, 05:09

-Visc- wrote:A year ago I posted a rant about weapon sounds for bullet based guns, especially the weak sound of the CAR which hardly resembles the sound of a true rifle.
Just wanted to give you an example how bullet based rifles should sound like in RD.

Found a nice youtube video with excellent sound quality, just to give you an idea how a true rifle sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqg9mKqH1jo&playnext_from=TL&videos=1cFG_cdVxv4

And indoors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Xqa2vwq60

That's all well and good, but as I can speak from experience, doing realistic sound for guns for games is really goddamn hard unless you 1) have access to guns 2) have access to really good recording equipment and/or 3) have access to a ready sound library full of high-quality audio, which usually isn't free or cheap. I've recorded some sounds from youtube videos when possible, but on the whole, youtube videos have atrocious audio quality in game terms, and those two videos (while cool) are no exception. You couldn't get good game audio by recording anything from those.

With that said, I'm curious about how you're doing the sound, Proph. Do you have a library you're sampling/mixing from or do you actually have someone recording stuff in the real world? Or are you just trying to find some known-good samples to use from some other source?

At the end of the day, for a free mod which isn't even setting out to be a realism mod (RD may have more realistic features than Unreal, but it's not like some kind of WWII sim or something), I don't care if the guns sound accurate or not as long as they sound cool. :)

Previous Next